LFK or Maya Key for snorkel?

cabotpanther

• 2 weeks later...

When we went to Maya Key, we thought the snorkeling was just awesome there. You walk down the deck and get in the water and BAM you are there. You can follow the path and then it drops off all of a sudden to the big blue sea. Pretty scary and neat all at the same time. I did a complete review on it (listed in my signature link) and we had a wonderful time there.

As for LFK, we didn't do the snorkeling the first time. The second time I completely missed my snorkeling trip (was so disappointed) and we decided to head out on the canoe instead. Although I didn't get into the water from what we seen only going a short distance out there...it was AMAZING! (I did a review on it as well with some pictures in my signature line). The size of the coral and the reefs in the area we were in were some of the biggest I have ever seen. I did take pictures from above but it doesn't begin to capture just how big these were. Next time we go, I WON'T be missing my snorkel tour. :D

• 3 months later...
When we went to Maya Key, we thought the snorkeling was just awesome there. You walk down the deck and get in the water and BAM you are there. You can follow the path and then it drops off all of a sudden to the big blue sea. Pretty scary and neat all at the same time. I did a complete review on it (listed in my signature link) and we had a wonderful time there."

I know this post was from a while ago but had to laugh. When we went to Roatan (Fins & Flippers now Maya Key) and I saw that drop off, the Nemo scene entered my brain and BAM was right. Everything you are taught about what hunts at the drop off comes to the front of your thoughts :) Since that was my first time ever to snorkel, I decided to hang back and stay in the 'safe' zone.

I am back on these boards since we are taking our teenage sons on their first cruise and our 1st requirement was that we stopped in Roatan. I know Maya Key is great and have also heard wonderful things about Tabayana. Will make some decisions soon since we are there over Thanksgiving.

mitsugirly - what kind of camera do you use for your great underwater pics (I looked at your picture blog :)

I know this post was from a while ago but had to laugh. When we went to Roatan (Fins & Flippers now Maya Key) and I saw that drop off, the Nemo scene entered my brain and BAM was right. Everything you are taught about what hunts at the drop off comes to the front of your thoughts :) Since that was my first time ever to snorkel, I decided to hang back and stay in the 'safe' zone.

I am back on these boards since we are taking our teenage sons on their first cruise and our 1st requirement was that we stopped in Roatan. I know Maya Key is great and have also heard wonderful things about Tabayana. Will make some decisions soon since we are there over Thanksgiving.

mitsugirly - what kind of camera do you use for your great underwater pics (I looked at your picture blog :)

I kinda did the same thing...hit the drop off and thought of Nemo and scurried on back to the safe zone. It kinda freaks me out for some reason every time I come across something like that because it gets so dark blue and you can't see what might be down there. Yikes.

I have 2 Olympus Tough cameras. My models are 620 & 830. I "think" those are the cameras I had from back then. If it wasn't, then I was using my Canon D10's I use to have. But, I would highly recommend the Olympus over them. :)