Beginner Scuba at Anthony's Key Resort

Raxter54

For our January cruise on the Carnival Dream, we are looking at a beginner scuba excursion at Anthony's Key Resort on Isla Roatan, promoted by Carnival. Does anyone have any experience/opinions with the folks at Anthony's Key, or how the scuba/snorkeling is at that location?

Thanks for any information you might have.

I've dove with them several times on ship's excursions. It used to be I thought they were very good. Alas, the last time I dove with them was a completely reversed experience. My next time in Roatan I'll definitely book with an independent operator.

On my last experience they went from a good ratio of divers to divemasters, and reasonable group sizes, to having way to many people in a group, and basically just going through the motions. There is no way I'd recommend them for either a discover scuba, or for a new diver.

All that being said the diving in Roatan is great. Most of the operators are along the same coast, so they all access the same sites.

Harris

Denver, CO

I've dove with them several times on ship's excursions. It used to be I thought they were very good. Alas, the last time I dove with them was a completely reversed experience. My next time in Roatan I'll definitely book with an independent operator.

On my last experience they went from a good ratio of divers to divemasters, and reasonable group sizes, to having way to many people in a group, and basically just going through the motions. There is no way I'd recommend them for either a discover scuba, or for a new diver.

All that being said the diving in Roatan is great. Most of the operators are along the same coast, so they all access the same sites.

Harris

Denver, CO

Do you have a recommendation for other dive operators? I've seen a few posts recommending Mayan Divers and Scuba Roatan. We are scheduled to be in port at Mahogany Bay for 11 hours, so there should be plenty of time to get to our excursion and return to the ship.

Also, how far down is the reef from the surface? Is it shallow enough at certain spots to allow some good snorkeling? At Cozumel last March, I loved doing my first snorkeling, but the reef we went to didn't look that great, and was about 20-30 feet down. So, I'd prefer drying some scuba, but if the snorkeling is good, that would satisfy me too.