AMA Yangon 2015

Kappy65

Booked the same cruise (AMAPURA ) for December 2014.

This will be our first cruise with Amawaterways .

Would gladly exchange tips and Infos about cruising with Amawaterways and Burma.

Micheline and Luc

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Seriously considering this trip.

Will be very interested in your review upon your return.

Wondering how often the pool is used as it seems an excellent amenity for this HOT humid itinerary! But am wondering if worth the extra $$$.

Also are you doing the longer trips as to avoid the 'bus' ride at the beginning or end?

Would love to hear (although it will be too late to change anything for me) about the December cruise. I've been told AMA is a top-notch company. I've done other river cruises - but like the size of cabin, small group, and newness of ship. I'm going to Bangkok first on my own, then flying to Yangon to meet up with group - but will also have own guide in Yangon - Need to go with group on bus to pick up cruise as that is cruise company's policy - After cruise, doing extension to Inle Lake with AMA. Not sure when I will get back to that part of the world so wanted to experience as much as possible.

We choose AMA because we could fly from Dallas to Seoul and on to Yangon without stopping in Bangkok (Korean Air).

We have been to Thailand before and want to concentrate on new horizons.

Bangkok is well worth an extended visit though.

We are not going to Inle Lake ,we want to be back home for Xmas.

We have a long bus ride on the way back from the ship to Yangon but it seems unavoidable.

We usually fall asleep on extended drives anyway.....

I am reading The King in Exile by Sudha Shah about the last king of Burma and so far it is interesting and entertaining.

YouTube has a lot of videos about Burma,we watched the one about a recent Vantage cruise similar to AMA .

AmaPura is a new ship with a new crew ,I will report when we come back and hope everything goes smoothly .

Keep in touch,

Micheline

Michele - thanks for the book suggestion - going to download to my Nook. For anyone else planning on trip I did some investigation into air - lots of issues getting out of Yangon.... Korean Air is one option - other option that I chose is China Air (not Air China).... leaving from NY transfers in Teipei and goes into both Bangkok and leaves from Yangon. China Air participates in International Air Program with AMEX - buy one ticket at full fare and other is for taxes... really fantastic option - and was able to apply my points so it brought the 2 business class tickets down to a very, very affordable price. And ticket is fully refundable.. couldn't beat it.

Happy travels...

• 2 weeks later...
Booked river cruise for Jan 2015 beginning in Yangon Jan 5 - Anyone else on board?

We're booked for January 2016. We'll probably add a stop in Vietnam on the way back from Myanmar to the US. We missed Hoi An and Hue on a previous Southeast Asia visit with AMA. AMA's Vietnam land and cruise trip was terrific and we're hoping for a similar experience in 2016. Looking forward to hear about your 2015 trip.

• 2 months later...

Would gladly exchange tips and Infos about cruising with Amawaterways and Burma.

Micheline and Luc

Anxious to hear about the trip - Just picked up all my documents from the travel agent - sounds busy but great.

There is an excellent reading list for book lovers who are travelling to Myanmar at the web site of Myanmar Shalom http://www.myanmarshalom.com Scroll down till you came to reading list.

We didn't use this company's services in Myanmar. We travelled in great comfort with Pandaw on its smallest boat as far north as Katha, well beyond the usual Yangon-Mandalay tourist strip. Our best travel experience on seven continents, equal to Antarctica with Silversea.

Just finished reading The Art of Hearing Heartbeats - takes place in Burma - actually Kalaw - where we will be visiting. A most wonderful, heart-warming story - can't wait to visit. I am now reading a non-fiction memoir... also about Burma .... A bit anxious due to the most recent turmoil in Bangkok as we are going there first - then onto Yangon - but doing some private guide touring so hopefully will be kept away from any untoward happenings. Would love to hear anyone else's experiences..

JUST returned last night from our trip on the Irrawaddy, traveling with Grand Circle.

Just wanted to mention a couple of things for the December travelers that I thought might be helpful:

1) Bring LOTS of Imodium. Everyone but 2 people in our group of 23 travelers got some kind of intestinal distress, mostly after we arrived in Myanmar. We seemed to be OK in Thailand and Cambodia. I only took a couple tablets with me since I have not needed that type of medicine for many, many years. I had to stop at a pharmacy to purchase more, just in case........ I was able to share some of my extra tablets that I purchased.

I also took Alka Seltzer once and wished that I had brought more to help settle the light queasiness I encountered a couple of days.

2) Bring lots of $20 and $5 bills. I took too many $100 bills and only used one for the Myanmar portion of the trip (not including the hundred dollar bills I used for tipping). Our PD recommended that we exchange a $100 bill at the airport and that amount lasted for most of the trip. Most of the money was spent in the markets or purchasing items from the street vendors. Ask for smaller bills at the money exchange booth. The 1000, 5000 and 10,000 Kyat bills are the ones that we used the most.

We were able to use our credit cards (Visa and MC) at the ship-sponsored stores.

3) Think about bringing fewer clothes and having them laundered on the boat. The fees for laundry services on our boat ranged from $1 to $3 per item. Had I known how reasonable the laundry prices were I would have only brought a couple pair of slacks and had them laundered every couple of days.

Several of the ladies bought the loose, cotton pants from the markets or street vendors and wore those on numerous outings. Prices were about $5 to $6 each. Some bought tops for around $5 each, too.

4) Think about bringing some paper towels for the toilet stops. Often there was cold water to wash one's hands, but nothing to dry with. Most all stops had western type toilets. One stop only had squat-type facilities.

thanks so much - figured that out about the clothes - trying to go with carry-on luggage - did you get to Inle lake?? Overall - did you find the trip fascinating

thanks

No, we never got to Inle Lake.

Overall, the trip was fascinating, seeing how the other parts of the world live, how they handle day-to-day life, work, eat, play, etc. It is very different than any other country that we have visited. Some of the things we saw made us realize how very lucky we are to live the way we do. The people of Myanmar were so friendly, happy, and as fascinated with us as we were with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Micheline and Luc

Wondering how the trip went- any hints..

thanks

Kappy 66

There is an excellent reading list for book lovers who are travelling to Myanmar at the web site of Myanmar Shalom http://www.myanmarshalom.com Scroll down till you came to reading list.

We didn't use this company's services in Myanmar. We travelled in great comfort with Pandaw on its smallest boat as far north as Katha, well beyond the usual Yangon-Mandalay tourist strip. Our best travel experience on seven continents, equal to Antarctica with Silversea.

Leaving Jan 1 - stopping in Bangkok for 2 days - a bit anxious about Myanmar - going first to Yangon and then a river cruise for 11 days - Any great tips!!!

thanks

Kappy 65

Amawaterways have not posted any information about the AmaPura since it was launched. No photos on website or any information about the inaugural cruise, christening etc. Interested about this cruise, as Asia is a lot shorter destination from NZ than Europe. Hope some photos turn up on their website in the new year.

Amawaterways have not posted any information about the AmaPura since it was launched. No photos on website or any information about the inaugural cruise, christening etc. Interested about this cruise, as Asia is a lot shorter destination from NZ than Europe. Hope some photos turn up on their website in the new year.

Please see my reviewer with photos in Roll Calls/All Riv

Thanks so much - looks like they put together quite a nice venue. I read your other posts also - sounds like overall a good experience. Any last minute suggestions for clothes... other items

thanks

Kappy 65