Dover Lodging

There's only a few hotels and some B&B's in Dover, it's not a tourist town & most travellers pass straight through to ferries.

The Best Western and Premier Inn that Simon mentioned are on the waterfront, just a short taxi ride from the cruise terminal and if you don't have a car they're your best bet.

I don't know the Best Western, but stayed at that Premier Inn. Good budget hotel, very comfortable room and bed, attached pub and restaurant - excellent breakfast.

JB :)

I stayed 2x at Premier Inn Ferry Terminal. There is a bar, restaurant onsite, walk through their parking lot, you are at the waterfront, and can walk into the town. I took their Meal Deal as there is not a restaurant close by. I took a taxi for the short ride to the port.

If you plan on visiting Dover Castle with war tunnels take a taxi both ways.

Another Vote for the Premier inn, but beware there is no AC, so it could be warm.

Yes, and they are up front about it. It is stated clearly on their online reservations page!

Big fan of Premier Inns in UK. Dover, anywhere, stayed in many all over England, Scotland and Wales.

Many new ones have A/C and eating facilities within, not just next door at Beefeater, Brewers Fayre etc.

Just seen one for 45 quid at Heathrow next year, good value.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

You don't say when you are cruising, but we are going out of Dover on the Pacific Princess in a couple of months, and have booked a pre-cruise night at the Premier Inn Central based on the positive comments from other CC threads and from our resident all-things-Britain member, "John Bull" and a couple of other British posters.

If you would like a report from someone who is staying there for the first time, I would be happy to post here when I get back from the cruise.

You don't say when you are cruising, but we are going out of Dover on the Pacific Princess in a couple of months, and have booked a pre-cruise night at the Premier Inn Central based on the positive comments from other CC threads and from our resident all-things-Britain member, "John Bull" and a couple of other British posters.

If you would like a report from someone who is staying there for the first time, I would be happy to post here when I get back from the cruise.

I would be interested in your review although my travel isn't until next year. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
I would also be interested in your write-up I do not go until next year either. I am also trying to decide if it is worth the extra money to get a balcony or if Oceanview will do.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

JMO, of course, but if your cruise is very port intensive, you may prefer to save some money on the fare and get an oceanview cabin. Doing so will provide you with natural daylight during daytime hours and views out the window or porthole.

If your cruise will have lots of sea days, you may enjoy a balcony more, especially if you would like your own quiet little oasis for enjoying the ocean views and sea air. There's nothing quite like having you own outdoor space to relax in.

I took Princess 12 day British Isles cruise Aug 2013 out of Southampton, with only 2 sea days I took an oceanview. I found it was great to have a window to have daylight. We did try to sit on deck to watch a movie on a sea day, with jackets, sweater, and blanket we gave up after awhile. I did not miss not having a balcony since we had all day tours each day, or we used the chairs on deck when we wanted to be outside.

Aug 2015, I did the 8 day Princess British Isles on the Ocean Princess out of Dover. I took an oceanview again, a few weeks before I was offered an upsell for a balcony which I took. We did use the balcony to watch sail in and departures from the ports. I did sit out for awhile in ports, I did find it was a little cool to sit out when the ship was moving. I found we did not get our money worth with a balcony on this cruise compared to a Caribbean cruise while you are sitting out all day in the sun.

It depends on the cruise, how many sea days and how long my tours were if I would take a balcony or an oceanview cabin. I have an aft balcony for my July Princess 8 day Norwegain Fjords out of Southampton as I know I will be using the balcony to watch the scenery.