South American Ports-What to Do?

Packing Light

We are making plans for tours on our Celebrity Rio Carnival Cruise leaving in January 2016. We are set with what we want to do at our starting point, Buenos Aires and have already booked our tickets for the Sambadrome in Rio for the Carnival but we are unsure of what, if anything is worthwhile in the other ports. Those ports are:

Sao Paulo, Brazil

Ilhabela, Brazil

Buzios, Brazil

Punta Del Este, Uraguay

Montevideo, Uraguay

Any suggestions would help us since this will be the first time to South America for our group of 3 couples. If just walking around the port is the best option, please let us know but if there is something not to be missed, we would appreciate a suggestion. Not looking for anything overly strenuos but walking is no problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi,

My husband and I will be joining Celebrity Infinity for that cruise. We have a small group in Montevideo going for a city tour( not more than 3.5 hours) and then a typical Uruguayan lunch with Uruguayan family. Very local.

Let me know if you are interested:-)

My e mail address is: jelena@skitara.com

When it comes to Punta Del Este, bike tour is a great idea.

Cheers

Jelena Richardson

• 2 weeks later...

Here is Aljazeera's take on what's happening in Brazil http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/talktojazeera/inthefield/2015/11/brazil-economy-highs-lows-151106140819274.html

It's interesting that two of the continent's major countries are in a crisis. Argentina's may be resolved but Brazil is a different story. Makes interesting reading as we prepare for our cruise a more than a year from now.

@barante--

When people call a dictatorship that tortured and murdered people "not so bad" (as in that article), I think they don't have their head screwed on straight.

------

I find some of the current "political" thinking of average Brazilians to be extremely naive. Ex:

Let's impeach X. Well what do you have to prove legally to "impeach"? What's the process? Ah....we have to impeach X. Well how do you do that? Ah....

Or let's go bang some pots and pans in the street. Let's show the world. Does that 'really' embarrass the country's government in front of the world as is intended or just embarrass the country? In what way is it effective to bring about positive change?

Or ask someone on the campaign of which political candidate have they worked (or would work), to put in the vacuum formed by the one they want out immediately. 'Work', as in be seen in public with a sign supporting, or volunteer at campaign headquarters of. What has that candidate done to help the poor, to encourage their vote for the candidate? (One of the criticisms by the better off classes against the disenfranchised was that they voted for the candidate who made sure poor families had food.) Open mouth, jaw hanging......

Here is Aljazeera's take on what's happening in Brazil http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/talktojazeera/inthefield/2015/11/brazil-economy-highs-lows-151106140819274.html

It's interesting that two of the continent's major countries are in a crisis. Argentina's may be resolved but Brazil is a different story. Makes interesting reading as we prepare for our cruise a more than a year from now.

Argentina is far from stable, as evidenced by inflation and attempts by the government and mostly failed governmental attempts to regulate prices and currency. There is an upcoming election, whose results may dramatically influence the Argentine economy, for better or worse.

Keep one eye on Brazil, the other on Argentina.

Just by accident I found something today that points out the untapped potential of the Caribbean.

Item: Norwegian, the new cut-rate airline, is in the midst of building a major network. Through gateways like BWI it will not only operate trans-Atlantic flights but will connect them at the Baltimore end with a few routes to the Caribbean, including Martinique.

Item: Costa and MSC are porting in the Caribbean, but not in the usual gateway cities. And lookie here, I found this last minute offer that underscores the untapped itinerary promises. From Barbados to the Amazon!

14 nights departing November 13, 2015 on

P&O Cruises' Adonis

Our Inside $1,503

Our Oceanview $1,503

Our Balcony $1,728

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Fri Nov 13 Barbados 9:00pm

Sat Nov 14 Dominica 9:00am 7:00pm

Sun Nov 15 St. Lucia 8:00am 8:00pm

Mon Nov 16 Grenada 8:00am 6:00pm

Tue Nov 17 At Sea

Wed Nov 18 Devil's Island, French Guiana 4:00pm 6:00pm

Thu Nov 19 At Sea

Fri Nov 20 Macapa, Brazil (Cruising)

Sat Nov 21 Santarem, Brazil 8:00am 5:00pm

Sun Nov 22 Macapa, Brazil (Cruising)

Mon Nov 23 At Sea

Tue Nov 24 At Sea

Wed Nov 25 Trinidad 9:00am 5:00pm

Thu Nov 26 St. Vincent 9:00am 5:00pm

Fri Nov 27 Barbados 7:00am

By paring some of the Caribbean ports, the ship could easily go all the way to Manaus and still offer a variety of destinations.

Edited by barante

• 2 weeks later...