Starting cruise from Valparaiso instead of Buenos Ayres

barante

Yes, that used to be the English spelling of Argentina's capital. But the point is that when we hope to take the Cape Horn expedition during Christmas, 2017, we'll have been to Buenos Aires twice and never to Valparaiso. So my idea is to start the cruise from Valparaiso. We'll get there a couple of days in advance and get an oceanfront room in Vina del Mare and then drop in on Santiago from there.

Details remain to be worked out since cruises for that period have not been released yet. But all is well.

Any hotel recommendations?

Why wouldn't we do Valparaiso post-cruise? Because when it's over, it's over. We need to get back to the U.S. to face everyday realities.

Edited by barante

Thank you. I'm not really concerned about missing anything.

For one thing, it's going to be light something like 20 hours a day (because we will be near the arctic circle and the seasons are reversed). For another, ships from Buenos Aires will have to pass something overnight as well.

For one thing, it's going to be light something like 20 hours a day (because we will be near the arctic circle and the seasons are reversed). For another, ships from Buenos Aires will have to pass something overnight as well.

That will depend on the cruise dates, for Ushuaia the longest day of the year December 21st, the sunsets at 22:11 and rises at 04:51 and by February you are down to 14 hours a day of daylight.

Edited by M&A

You are an incredibly long way from the Arctic Circle..... and still a good 12 degrees from the Antarctic Circle..

Your sun hours during that time of year are around 17.... I never really noticed the long daylight on our trip as for the most part the weather was cool and grey and with several days of rain.. so t it can be dark for much longer...

Vina is a local beach destination, so more targeted at seaside rather than sight sea.. I would stay in Valpa

TBH I'd overnight in Santiago then go down the day or 2 before.... the traffic heading into santiago of a morning is very heavy and you will also be there during bushfire season so this can affect timings...

Very useful.

We are hoping to do this during the Christmas season of 2017 so we will have time to plan.

You are right on Vina del Mare vs. Valparaiso. Will prefer to stay in the latter because of all the variety of life. Looking into Ibis Hotel, a budget chain that has a good reputation.

Very useful.

We are hoping to do this during the Christmas season of 2017 so we will have time to plan.

You are right on Vina del Mare vs. Valparaiso. Will prefer to stay in the latter because of all the variety of life. Looking into Ibis Hotel, a budget chain that has a good reputation.

We stayed in Vina del Mar because our tour company warned us that crime in Valparaiso was a problem.

We stayed two nights in Valpo .. no way crime was an issue (5 years ago). We loved walking (even though it seemed we were going uphill every direction) and stayed at a quaint B&B.

We stayed in Vina del Mar because our tour company warned us that crime in Valparaiso was a problem.

We did our cruise 5 years ago and spent two days in Valparaiso (from Santiago). This time (February), we will spend one night in Santiago, then move to Valpo so that we can experience the city before moving on.

Yes, that used to be the English spelling of Argentina's capital. But the point is that when we hope to take the Cape Horn expedition during Christmas, 2017, we'll have been to Buenos Aires twice and never to Valparaiso. So my idea is to start the cruise from Valparaiso. We'll get there a couple of days in advance and get an oceanfront room in Vina del Mare and then drop in on Santiago from there.

Details remain to be worked out since cruises for that period have not been released yet. But all is well.

Why wouldn't we do Valparaiso post-cruise? Because when it's over, it's over. We need to get back to the U.S. to face everyday realities.

This year, our 1st part for 3part, of South America Cruise tour, is starting from Florida and ending at Valparaiso, Chile. 2nd part (for another year), will start in BA and end in Valparaiso. The last part, from BA to Florida, is still in planning stages.

For this year in December, we are going to be in Valparaiso/Vina Del Mar, for 3 nights, post cruise. Originally we had booked a hotel called San Martin, but on recommendations of our guide, we switched to Enjoy Vina del Mar. Both are right on ocean front, but I understand, Enjoy is a better property. Google Maps will actually give you a very good Street View of this hotel. We plan to tour the vineyards, Valparaiso, Vina and relax for a few days, in the twin cities.

On the final day, we have a full day tour of Santiago, before heading to the Airport, for our flight home. My thinking is, Santiago is a fairly modern city like any other city in North America city, I rather enjoy Valparaiso/Vina/vineyards & ocean front, instead of spending more days in Santiago. I am sure there is plenty to see and do in Santiago as well.

On our 2nd leg of the South American Trilogy, we would like to spend more days in BA pre-cruise and my spend some time in Santiago, before returning home.

You can visit Chile after the cruise if you start in BA.

If you take the cruise from Valpo to BA, you will pass the glaciers in the middle of the night. It is something to consider.

I took the Val to BA cruise in 2003 and we didn't miss the glaciers - we saw them all morning long.

We stayed two nights in Valpo .. no way crime was an issue (5 years ago). We loved walking (even though it seemed we were going uphill every direction) and stayed at a quaint B&B.

In 2011, we ate lunch in the MDR on Veendam on embarkation day with a woman who was strong-arm mugged in Valpo. They took credit cards and every US and Chilean penny she had but did leave her with her passport. She was with a small group but had lingered 30 seconds or so window shopping.

Crime happens everywhere, all the time. Just be aware.

I took the Val to BA cruise in 2003 and we didn't miss the glaciers - we saw them all morning long.

We also didn't miss any glaciers in 2011. I believe the itineraries are arranged so that the "cruising only" sightseeing is done during daylight hours.

Argentina currently charges US citizens a reciprocity fee of US$160, Chile now does not. Another reason for starting in Chile.

Argentina currently charges US citizens a reciprocity fee of US$160, Chile now does not. Another reason for starting in Chile.

You still have to pay the reciprocity fee in advance to Argentina, whether you start in Chile or Argentina, otherwise you can't get off the ship anywhere in Argentina! That could be a big problem if your cruise ends in BA :eek:

You still have to pay the reciprocity fee in advance to Argentina, whether you start in Chile or Argentina, otherwise you can't get off the ship anywhere in Argentina! That could be a big problem if your cruise ends in BA :eek:

LOL. Excellent point.

Seriously, the Cruise Line will check to make sure you have all necessary documentation prior to boarding. No proof of payment of the reciprocity fee? Waive goodbye from the dock as your cruise ship sails from Valpo.

It's been several years since we did the same cruise, from Valparaiso. We stayed in Santiago for two days as we had been there before, then took the city bus to Valparaiso (lovely scenery and vineyards) where we stayed in small hotel and did all the different funiculars -( so much variety!). Took a taxi one day to Vina del Mar, then taxi to cruise ship in Valparaiso. (stormed that nite and lots of people sick. But lovely cruising among glaciers and super nice around horn)

If you haven't been to Santiago, I would recommend a couple of days there - lovely!!

Instead of a typical 14-day itinerary, here is a longer HAL version. How significant is the difference?

21 Days Antarctic Cruises

Holland America Line • ms Zaandam

Valparaiso, Puerto Montt, Castro, Puerto Chacabuco, Chilean Fjords, Amalia Glacier, Sarmiento Channel, Magellan Strait, Punta Arenas, Cockburn Channel, Beagle Channel, Glacier Alley, Ushuaia, Drake Passage, Palmer Archipelago, Danco Coast, Antarctic Sound, Stanley/Falklands, Puerto Madryn, Montevideo, Buenos Aires

1 departure date: Dec 20 2015

Edited by barante

I'm going on this itinerary on January 31 2016. To have the opportunity to sail down to Antarctica is a dream! It won't be much longer before cruise ships will no longer be allowed to

sail there so if you want to go, go soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instead of a typical 14-day itinerary, here is a longer HAL version. How significant is the difference?

21 Days Antarctic Cruises

Holland America Line • ms Zaandam

Valparaiso, Puerto Montt, Castro, Puerto Chacabuco, Chilean Fjords, Amalia Glacier, Sarmiento Channel, Magellan Strait, Punta Arenas, Cockburn Channel, Beagle Channel, Glacier Alley, Ushuaia, Drake Passage, Palmer Archipelago, Danco Coast, Antarctic Sound, Stanley/Falklands, Puerto Madryn, Montevideo, Buenos Aires

1 departure date: Dec 20 2015

We are on this cruise. Been planning it for over a year. Scluvsrain reports everything we've heard - this is a great cruise but adding the most remote places possible (Antarctica) makes for an incredible experience.

Congratulations. Please let us know about your experiences.

At the present, we are booked on a Norwegian Sun Christmas 2016 cruise from Buenos Aires to Rio and back, but may reschedule since this the Antarctic is a rare itinerary and may not be repeated in the future.

We'll take Iceland/Greenland this July on HAL Rotterdam.

I never thought I would make my decision this fast. Except that I saw that one of only two unique cabins was available. It was 7083 on the Navigation deck, an OV with a view of the wake plus a small deck just five steps away (someone counted) that will serve as our balcony.

This is exactly what we needed: a 197 sq ft cabin that has enough of a view to tell us what's going on so that we can then beeline to the deck.

I got all this for the price of an inside, a nice savings.

Thank you for all the recommendations. Next year in Antarctica!