Were Back! Spirit Hawaii April 18 Come on in and post and read!

lengthy sorry

First let me say hi to all the fellow cruise critic passengers I met I thourgly enjoyed meeting everyone.

We arrived in San Diego around 2:30 pm did not have to wait long to get our luggage or to catch the coach to the San Diego Pier. The embarkment process at the pier went smoothly and quickly in fact it was much better than our embarkment in Tampa 2 years ago. We had about an 1 1/2 wait before they called our number to get on the coach to Ensenda so I dialed up my buddy Danya Jo she was just finished eating at a place on the pier so since were allowed to leave the pier once we got our sail and sign I was off to meet her.

The only thing about the ride down to Ensenda was that once they got us on the bus we waited 45 minutes to an hour before they even stared driving us to the ship icon_confused.gif Alot of the fellow passengers I over heard talking did not like the San Diego - Ensenda ordeal I myself went into as seeing places I never saw before.

Once we got to Ensenda we proceeded to go through the procedure of getting onto the ship the only bad part to that was that is very windy and cold (brrrr). After getting on board the only thing I was concerned about was getting some food icon_smile.gif

Our cabin was spaceous and very nicely done in peach tones (interior room #7225). I can also see why so many cruisers like the Spirit class ships they are so easy to manuver around. icon_biggrin.gif

5 days at sea really spoils you rotten icon_cool.gif The first day at sea was the only chilly day so I got to know the interior of the ship better. They keep you busy (if you want to be)Danya Jo and I did Arts and Crafts and did afternoon tea at 3:30. Danya Jo's husband and I entered the different triva games and came away with 2 ships on a stick icon_cool.gif My husband entered the hairy chest contest that was a hoot. Mine and Daynas husband entered the ship building contest they did not win but it was great to watch all the entries.

The food in the dining room met my expectations we did they same thing we did on the last cruise we all tried to order something different so we could eat off each others plate. I have to agree with the person in another post who said that Carnival could do a better job on there beef items. The waiters did a great job in the entertainment department I even got up and gave it awhirl. Desserts on the menue were awesome. The food on the lido deck was just as good I am sorry to say with all those choices for lunch I became addicted to the cheeseburgers at the pool side grill icon_eek.gif Oh and lets not forget about the 24 hours yogurt machine!

The islands were gorgeous we did 2 excursions (Volcano National Park and Pearl Harbor). We rented cars on Maui because we booked the Old Lahiana Luau (which I would highly recommend. it happened to rain all day on the side of the island that we were docked at but driving 1/2 way to the other side of the island we hit sunshine for the whole day. Lahiana has some nice shops on it. Pearl Harbor was a sobering experience you know you can see this on T.V but it does not compare to standing there and seeing it.

Our flight home was a good one and am looking forward to my next cruise. The only thing really bad is by the 3rd day at sea I started getting leg cramps in the middle of the night that continued on through the cruise I am not sure what is causing them other than maybe potassium level went down or not enough water. The erobics instructer says sometimes the salt can do that. I am still confused about the whole thing icon_frown.gif

Looking forward to seeing everyones comments.

Lizabet623

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;4;18;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

4/18 Carnival Spirit

Carnival Sensation 2002

Carnival Spirit 2004

thanks for posting your review---sounds wonderful! Hope you get the leg cramp thing cleared up and that it is nothing serious.

Penny

Disney Magic~~Eastern 7/03

Carnival Celebration~~Western 3/04

Aug 1, 2004 Carnival Elation--Yippee, Our 3rd Cruise!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;1;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Hey lizabet623...... happy to hear you got home OK!!! Sorry we did not get to spend more time with you guys.....but that was a BIG ship! icon_razz.gif

I assume the rest of your "group" got home OK too.

Take care,

Janet (and Jim, too!)

Nice review. I'm planning on Hawaii next spring.

Judy

CCL Inspiration 4/4-4/11/04

NCL Sea 4/14-4/27/03

Wonder 5/16-5/19/02

Wonder 5/3-5/8/01

Fantasy 2/15-2/18/01

Hi Linda

We ended up taking 3 tours:

Volcanoe National Park Tour (Hilo) $49.00 I was glad we took this one. You don't stay on the bus the whole time we made about 5 different stops.

Iao Valley / Maui Tropical Plantation $49.00(Maui 2nd day) husband did this one on his own said it was nice.

Pearl Harbor / Punch Bowl and City Tour. $35.00

However you want to do this I highly recommend Pearl Harbor.

Some added notes I forgot in my review

Maui: We rented a car their since we were going to be there 2 days and I had booked a Luau other than the ship excursion. BEWARE They do have shuttles running to Lahiana the only shopping which is on the other side of the island the cost is $24.00 or cab ride for around $60.00 one way. The reason Carnival docks on the other side of the island is 1)they can dock at the pier 2) they can stay overnight. If they docked in Lahiana they would have to tender you in and would have to leave at midnight.

Sun bathing: the first full day at sea was chilly but I used this to explore the ship and the first day on Maui it rained all day it did not effect us because we rented a car and went to Lahaina which had sunshine all day. All the other days were sunbathing days icon_cool.gif

I have my capers from the cruise (sorry I don't have a scanner)so if anyone has any questions I would be happy to help.

Lizabet623

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;4;18;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

4/18 Carnival Spirit

Carnival Sensation 2002

Carnival Spirit 2004

I am interested in taking my family of 6 on a Hawaiian cruise in 2005. Is the cost of excursions and souveniers expensive? My kids range from 15-2 and like to see all kinds of educational stuff, (volcanoes parks etc)

Any guidance will be great!

Married on Fantasy 9/95

Ecstasy 3/2001

Fantasy 9/2002

Sensational Cruise 7/24/04

Thanks for the review ...we are sailing the cruise next spring. What site did you use to book the luau for Maui?

11/02/03 Carnival Inspiration

03/20/04 Carnival Glory

12/13/04 Carnival Legend

04/17/05 Carnival Spirit

Till the Legend Sails

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;12;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Taking the Spirit West Aloha style

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;4;17;21;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Good review lizabet.

We made it back home, but I am tired.

We rented cars on all island and just drove around.

On Oahu, you really don't have to rent a car, you can take the bus to every place on the island. If you rent a car there, parking is very expensed. It cost us $25.00 for over night.

If you are ex-military then the best prices are at the exchange. We got alot of things there. This is at Pearl Harbor. Oahu has grown so much. And not for the best. There are just too many people there. Traffic was very bad.

Kauai was the most beautiful. I would drive around and look at it.

As Lizabet said you must do a Laua.

For those of you that get sea sick like I do. I had to put 2 of the patches on while we were at sea, one did not do it, then after the sea days I went to one. When we got back home I took the last one off and I am tired and feel alittle like things are still moving around. Don't know why.

The ship staff was great. You will like Shawn, the Cruise Director. She is really good.

Malcum he is really funny.

Have copies of the Capers also and I have a scaner so if you want any let me know.

Dayna

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;04;18;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

04/18/04 Spirit Hawaii

Carnival Sensation 2002

Hi Allen

We used the Old Lahaina Luau the cost was $85.42 a person total. http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/flash.html

The whole experience from start to finish was exceptional.

FYI

Carnival offers to excursions to a Luau 1) is on Maui at a cost of Adult $124.00 Child (3-12yrs) $65.00 and 2)Honolulu, Oahu Paradise Cove Luau Adult $104.00 Child $67.00

Hope this helps

Lizabet623

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AllenF:

Thanks for the review ...we are sailing the cruise next spring. What site did you use to book the luau for Maui?

03/20/04 Carnival Glory

12/13/04 Carnival Legend

04/17/05 Carnival Spirit

Till the Legend Sails

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;12;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;4;17;21;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

4/18 Carnival Spirit

Carnival Sensation 2002

Carnival Spirit 2004

Thanks Liz,

couple more questions for you who did you rent your car from on Maui and did they have a shuttle service to get to Luau if you dont rent a car...also how long did it take you to drive to Luau

DaynaJo if you could please email your caper info at afrancis@sc.rr.com

03/20/04 Carnival Glory

12/13/04 Carnival Legend

04/17/05 Carnival Spirit

Till the Legend Sails

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;12;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;4;17;21;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Hi Cruisinonmymind

We did the Volcano National Park tour is was 49.00 (1 price fits all).

I am going to be vague here because I am not sure what you like.

Hilicopter tours run anywhere from $235.00 to 335.00 per person

Pearl Harbor runs either $35.00 or 95.00 depending which one you go on

Here are some other things that can be done let me know what interest you and I can give you prices.

HILO: Helicoter tours, Chain of Crater Tour, City & Akaka Falls, Historical Tour, Mauna Kea Summit Tour, Volcano Biking Adventure, Vocanoes National Park (we did this one).

KONA: Atlantis Submarine, Deep Sea Fishing, Kailua Village Walk, Kona afternoon Snorkel Cruise, Kona Coffee Living History Farm, Kona Historical Tour, Kona Kayak Adventure, Kona Morning Snorkel Cruise, Kona Morning Snorketl(Certified) and (Intro), Paniolo Horseback Adventure, Kona Country Club,

MAUI day 1: Atlantis Submarine, Catch A Wave Surfing Lessons, Complete Island Helicopter Tour, Maui Luau, Haleakala, Lahaina & Iao Valley, Hana &Haleakala Helicopter Tour, Heavenly Hana, Iao Valley / Maui Tropical Plantation, Maui Downhill "38-mile Super DaySafari, Maui Ocean Center, Rainforest & Waterfall Hiking Adv, The Wonders of Haleakala, Lahaina Transfer ( this is the bus shuttle that runs 3 times to the shopping district of Lahaina $26.00),

MAUI day 2: Atlantis Submarine, Catch A Wave Surfing Lessons, Complete Island Helicopter Tour, Haleakala, Lahaina & Iao Valley, Hana &Haleakala Helicopter Tour, Heavenly Hana, Iao Valley / Maui Tropical Plantation, Maui Downhill "38-mile Super DaySafari, Maui Downhill "38mile Super Day Safari", Maui Ocean Center, Rainforest & Waterfall iking Adv., Snorkeling Adventure, Spectacular Sunrise at Haleakala, The Wonders of Haleakala, Lahina Transfer.

KAUAI: Aloha Kauai Adventure, Heaven& Earth, Helicopter & North Shore Experience, Hule'la Kayak Adventure, Maile Helicopter tour, Mokihana Helicopter Tour, Poipu Horseback Riding, Seafun Kauai Shore Snorkel, The Hanaei Adventure, Tubing the Ditch, Wailua River/Fern Grotto, Waimea Canyon & Wailua River, Waimea Canyon Tour, Waterfall Hiking Adventure.

HONOLULU, OAHU: Honolulu City Tour, Natural Highlights, Paradise Cove Luau, Pearl Harbor & North Shore Experience, Pearl Harbor / Punch Bowl & City Tour, Walk with the Sharks,.

If you have a late flight out on the last day there are some tours to accomodate.

Hawaii is very expensive. You can get souveniers cheaper if you check out the little shops.Shops just off the pier in Kona, in Maui go down to Lahiana and after we got back from Pearl (roughly 1:30) we ate lunch and took a cab (with tip around 15.00 each way) to the International Market down by Wakiki Beach great bargins there on Mumu, dresses, mens shirts.

Let me know if I can be of anymore help or give you prices.

Lizabet623

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cruisinonmymind:

I am interested in taking my family of 6 on a Hawaiian cruise in 2005. Is the cost of excursions and souveniers expensive? My kids range from 15-2 and like to see all kinds of educational stuff, (volcanoes parks etc)

Any guidance will be great!

Married on Fantasy 9/95

Ecstasy 3/2001

Fantasy 9/2002

Sensational Cruise 7/24/04<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

4/18 Carnival Spirit

Carnival Sensation 2002

Carnival Spirit 2004

Hey Allen

We rented from Budget for 2 days the car cost us $83.15 the drive to Lahaina was roughly 45 minutes. They have a shuttle service that runs 3 times only on the first day for $28.00 a person leaving at 9am 12pm and 3pm not sure of pickup times. They only have the shuttle running once on the second day at 9am.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AllenF:

Thanks Liz,

couple more questions for you who did you rent your car from on Maui and did they have a shuttle service to get to Luau if you dont rent a car...also how long did it take you to drive to Luau

DaynaJo if you could please email your caper info at afrancis@sc.rr.com

03/20/04 Carnival Glory

12/13/04 Carnival Legend

04/17/05 Carnival Spirit

Till the Legend Sails

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;12;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;4;17;21;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

4/18 Carnival Spirit

Carnival Sensation 2002

Carnival Spirit 2004

This sounds like an awesome and expensive vacation. I checked prices earlier today on a website and got a price of $7274 for a balcony room with an inside room directly across on upper deck.

If we decide to go, Hilo sounds cool with the Volcanoes National Park. In Maui, the helicopter Complete Island tour and Maui Ocean Center.

I have checked just land vacations to HI too, either way, I better start saving now or win the new TN lottery. icon_wink.gif

Married on Fantasy 9/95

Ecstasy 3/2001

Fantasy 9/2002

Sensational Cruise 7/24/04

• 9 months later...

Archived