Excursion Rome on your own

Popsy028

Has anyone done the excursion "Rome on your own" where you just get the coach from the port to Rome and then explore Rome at your own pace? Do you know how often the coach returns to the port or is it just once? Thanks

We were in Rome several years ago staying for a few days on our own. Don't know how much time you have or what your priorities are. I can tell you they have great hop on hop off buses there. Very inexpensive and when you see something that appeals to you , you hop off and spend more time there they have head phones with English so you know what's happening. The Vatican is nothing short of amazing but you could spend a week there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks guys. Do you know how long it takes to get from the port into the centre of Rome?

Hi there, what means of transport are you planning to use?

By Bus (1:30hr), By car a little quicker.

Train is the fastest and cheapest (but is public transport and subject to normal public transport issues).

I have taken the train before and to be honest it was easy, clean and cheap.

This year my daughter will be with us, so I am taking a private air conditioned car directly from the boat.

Hi there, what means of transport are you planning to use?

By Bus (1:30hr), By car a little quicker.

Train is the fastest and cheapest (but is public transport and subject to normal public transport issues).

I have taken the train before and to be honest it was easy, clean and cheap.

This year my daughter will be with us, so I am taking a private air conditioned car directly from the boat.

Thanks very much for this information it is very helpful for us. Do you know the name of the station that the train goes from and to in Rome. Sorry its just that we have never been to Rome before. Thanks

Thanks very much for this information it is very helpful for us. Do you know the name of the station that the train goes from and to in Rome. Sorry its just that we have never been to Rome before. Thanks

The main station is Roma Termini (terminus)

However, a large number of trains from Civitavecchia, if not all, stop at St Pietro (St Peters_ which is the closest station to the Vatican if you wish to see that.

If you are taking a train, then it is easy to walk from the ship to the station - the port shuttle takes you further away from the station. Remember to validate your tickets after purchase too or you will have to pay again

The main station is Roma Termini (terminus)

However, a large number of trains from Civitavecchia, if not all, stop at St Pietro (St Peters_ which is the closest station to the Vatican if you wish to see that.

If you are taking a train, then it is easy to walk from the ship to the station - the port shuttle takes you further away from the station. Remember to validate your tickets after purchase too or you will have to pay again

This sounds great and we will definitely look into this. Do you know if you have to prebook train tickets or can you get them on the day? Thanks

you can get them on the day you wish to travel - seating is not allocated like in some countries, you just pay for a ticket. There is a machine in the booking hall which takes Euros and credit / debit cards. You can change the language on it to speak to you in English too, just incase of difficulties with the cashier.

We went in to Rome last month for the day on our Fantasia cruise, using the trains, we got off at St Peters first and saw the Vatican nd St Peters Basillica (we have had a weekend in Rome before so seen all the major sites) On our list was St Peters and the Trevi Fountain as we had missed them before. We also got to see the Spanish Steps again.

Rome is quite a compact city so it is possible to tick off the main sites like the Colloseum etc in a day

Forgot to mention the train times can be a bit bizarre - if you google Trenitalia or train line europe you'll be able to find the times for the day you wish to go

If you want to see the Vatican museum, you should pre-book as the queues are horrendous, same with the Colloseum although to be fair there isn't that much to see inside it in my opinion

Forgot to mention the train times can be a bit bizarre - if you google Trenitalia or train line europe you'll be able to find the times for the day you wish to go

If you want to see the Vatican museum, you should pre-book as the queues are horrendous, same with the Colloseum although to be fair there isn't that much to see inside it in my opinion

This is great. You have been very helpful and cannot wait to go (even though it is not till March 2018!)