Middle east question/your opinion

rabin1

Hello

I know this is not something anyone including me likes to think about or even discuss but I really would appreciate your thoughts on this & help with the second question.

I really do not like ships tours but going to be taking some when in the Middle East. Mainly the one that goes into Palestine-Jerusalem etc. The reason is although I am not really scared heck I have been to Africa twice. I just think with this whole conflict in the Middle East it might be better to take ships tours on a few occasions. Unless some of you that have been there could recommend a good tour company?? I travel alone.

Here are my questionS.

1. I have been thinking about buying a small can of pepper spray to take with me. What are your thoughts? I know it would have to be packed not carried on or is it not even permitted period to have for getting back on board after a tour?

2. Also any tour recommendations for private tours to any of the following would be greatly appreciated Oman, Safaga (would like to go to a hotel/beach been to Egypt for several weeks already) Petra/Aqaba, Jerusalem/Bethlehem, Nazareth/Galilee, Cyprus

Thank you in advance for your help and thoughts

Kathy

Hello

I know this is not something anyone including me likes to think about or even discuss but I really would appreciate your thoughts on this & help with the second question.

I really do not like ships tours but going to be taking some when in the Middle East. Mainly the one that goes into Palestine-Jerusalem etc. The reason is although I am not really scared heck I have been to Africa twice. I just think with this whole conflict in the Middle East it might be better to take ships tours on a few occasions. Unless some of you that have been there could recommend a good tour company?? I travel alone.

Here are my questionS.

1. I have been thinking about buying a small can of pepper spray to take with me. What are your thoughts? I know it would have to be packed not carried on or is it not even permitted period to have for getting back on board after a tour?

2. Also any tour recommendations for private tours to any of the following would be greatly appreciated Oman, Safaga (would like to go to a hotel/beach been to Egypt for several weeks already) Petra/Aqaba, Jerusalem/Bethlehem, Nazareth/Galilee, Cyprus

Kathy

Hi Kathy, I have been once solo on a cruise with Azamara, which included Oman and Dubai after transiting the Suez Canal. I am going for a second time and also taking a cruise, which includes 10 days emirates.

I think it is better to take ships tours on those countries specially if you do not speak the language and are not very much aware of local customs like always covering your hair and using long armed shirts and trousers.

I am not really sure what you are afraid of in order to carry a pepper spray? My impression is that you will not need a pepper spray in Oman or Dubai. No one will come to attack you and I would be careful of using violence in the form of a pepper spray in any country I am visiting. In Germany for example it is illegal to use it and it can get you in big trouble.

Now you are talking about Israel and Palestina. Many people I know have been there and nothing happened to them. Those are areas however, that imply a risk, which could come in form of terrorism. In that case a pepper spray is also of no use.

I would say, it is good to be informed and to know that there are some risks when traveling to those areas, but a good way to minimize the risks are to take the ships excursion. I do not take ships excursions everywhere, but on those countries I am aware of my limitations and I prefer ships excursions. Be easy in mind and relax, there are friendly people, as well as not so friendly people everywhere...

Hello

Here are my questionS.

Kathy

And what exactly would pepper spray accomplish?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And what exactly would pepper spray accomplish?

I am doing everything in my power to keep from writing a smart answer here but since you ask I will answer. If someone was trying to rob I could spray and run or would that be out of your realm of thinking?

Since you didn;t have a productive answer to either question please move on.

These are the type of postings that make me sometimes dislike CC. Instead of answering in the spirit of what a question was asked some people have to go off the reservation.

Kathy

I am doing everything in my power to keep from writing a smart answer here but since you ask I will answer. If someone was trying to rob I could spray and run or would that be out of your realm of thinking?

Since you didn;t have a productive answer to either question please move on.

These are the type of postings that make me sometimes dislike CC. Instead of answering in the spirit of what a question was asked some people have to go off the reservation.

Kathy

The concerns most related to safety in the Middle East involve terrorism - not petty crime.

Even so, if you are in a tour group (regardless of who runs it), what are the chances that a crook is going to single you out in a crowd and attempt to rob you in front of your companions.

PLEASE could we please just answer my two questions without all the extra narration.

Appreciated

Thank You

Kathy

Your question number 1:

Already answered that it is uncalled for in a tour group setting. And BTW, it is a "weapon." Weapons are not allowed on cruise ships.

Personally, I would only do a ship's tour in Petra or Egypt. They have the system down, not to mention the sites you'll be visiting are far from the actual port. I've been to Oman a couple times, and both times hired a local taxi, which worked out great.

I think you will find you are not permitted to bring pepper spray onboard the ship.

Currently in the Middle East using ships tours and very happy with the experience (and safe)

Thanks for the real answers to my questions. Got it no pepper spray.

Any ideas for private tours? Utog are the tours on overcrowded buses? Or are they good?

Thanks

Kathy

Have a look at guidedtoursisrael.com for tours in Israel. We have used them several times and found them excellent for value, content and reliability.

Thank you thank you. This is exactly what I wanted. Going to cancel ships tours and use these people. Already emailed them

Now if you or anyone has ideas for Petra, and Cyprus which tour companies I would greatly appreciate it.

Kathy

Hello

Here are my questionS.

Kathy

Posters have provided answers to your two questions in one way or another. You do not seem to be satisfied with the answers calling for direct answers without second thoughts. You have asked for toughts on one issue and for practical advice on tours. Posters have done that.

Your following posts gave the impression you are impatient with the answers and find them out of topic. CC members help in the way they can.

Hello Rabin1,

I apologize for not noticing this thread earlier.

Please note that pepper spray is not permitted on our ships. It is one of the prohibited items listed on our What to Pack webpage. You'll find it listed under the subheading of Self-defense Gear.

PROHIBITED ITEMS

• Firearms & ammunition, including realistic replicas
  • Sharp objects, including knives and scissors (Personal grooming items such as safety razors and scissors with blades less than 4 inches are allowed)
  • Illegal drugs & substances
  • Candles & incense
  • Coffee makers, clothes irons, & hot plates
  • Baseball bats, hockey sticks, cricket bats, bows & arrows
  • Skateboards & surfboards
  • Martial arts gear
  • Self-defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks
  • Flammable liquids and explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks
  • HAM radios
  • Dangerous chemicals, including bleach and paint

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/you-board/packing-tips

Thank you thank you. This is exactly what I wanted. Going to cancel ships tours and use these people. Already emailed them

Now if you or anyone has ideas for Petra, and Cyprus which tour companies I would greatly appreciate it.

Kathy

Pleased you've found a response satisfactory to you, Kathy. My info may be a bit out of date, but on my 1st Azamara cruise in 2009 I found the full day ship's tour to Jerusalem to be just perfect. Yes, we were on a bus with many passengers, but our guide was brilliant and the day could not have been better.

I write because upon our return, we drove for quite some time on the port's service roads, wending our way back to the ship. We passed several passengers who were hoofing it back to the Journey, in the dark. Our guide had the driver stop when they waved, and he patiently explained that a lift wasn't possible, security required the same numbers returning as departing... Long story short, make sure your private arrangements don't leave you stranded with a long walk through the port.

Hello

Here are my questionS.

Kathy

We have lived in Oman for two years and I have never covered my hair. I was always wearing a short sleeves shirt or a shawl over a no sleeve shirt or dress, as long as your skirt covers your knees you'll be fine.

People from Oman are very nice and many of them can speak a very good english, mostly around the port in Muscat.

Beautiful sceneries!

We have lived in Oman for two years and I have never covered my hair. I was always wearing a short sleeves shirt or a shawl over a no sleeve shirt or dress, as long as your skirt covers your knees you'll be fine.

People from Oman are very nice and many of them can speak a very good english, mostly around the port in Muscat.

Beautiful sceneries!

Thank you very much for the info. I think I found a great tour company for there and am very happy about the short sleeves & carrying a shawl. GREAT ADVICE. Thanks again

Kathy

Have a look at guidedtoursisrael.com for tours in Israel. We have used them several times and found them excellent for value, content and reliability.

I would also recommend guidedtoursisrael. We used them for our stops in both Ashdod and Haifa and were pleased both times.

I would also recommend guidedtoursisrael. We used them for our stops in both Ashdod and Haifa and were pleased both times.

Thank you very much. I have found a tour company I am going to use for both of those cities/ports and am in fact going to host private tours in both which I have posted on our roll call

Thanks again appreciate it

Kathy