Chef's table....

Are their choices or is the menu set?

My wife for example doesn't eat seafood.

I have several allergies and have to be careful what I eat.

Do we just shoot an email to special requests or is this not a good choice for us?

The sample menu shows one entree, a lamb entree,which I wouldn't enjoy.

What have you experienced with choices and requests?

I have read of others that have posted that they have accommodated guests with allergies. I personally would not ask for substitutions based on likes/dislikes as it is a fixed menu that the chef has specifically designed. You should discuss with chef once on board your allergies and not rely on special_needs to take care of it.

Do we just shoot an email to special requests or is this not a good choice for us?

At the several Chefs Tables I've attended I just let them know about my shellfish allergy and they have always come up with a tasty substitute. I do however wonder if Chefs Table is for you. It is not something you should go to with a preconceived notion of what you will and will not enjoy. The chef's version of the lamb could really surprise you.

I do however wonder if Chefs Table is for you. It is not something you should go to with a preconceived notion of what you will and will not enjoy.

That was my point.

Between picky palettes, allergies, and the wife's seafood aversion, I wonder if it's right for us.

I'm willing to try anything, but I've not liked lamb, for example, anyplace I've tried it. If I have a bite and it's not for me, I won't keep going. I don't want to offend the chef.

That why as much as it's highly recommended, I'm thinking it may not be good for us. But if you guys said, go for it, they'll accommodate you with no problem, well then I'd be all for it.

I'd love to share dinner with some new friends, just worried about being pains in the you know w-h-e-r-e.

That was my point.

Between picky palettes, allergies, and the wife's seafood aversion, I wonder if it's right for us.

I'm willing to try anything, but I've not liked lamb, for example, anyplace I've tried it. If I have a bite and it's not for me, I won't keep going. I don't want to offend the chef.

That why as much as it's highly recommended, I'm thinking it may not be good for us. But if you guys said, go for it, they'll accommodate you with no problem, well then I'd be all for it.

I'd love to share dinner with some new friends, just worried about being pains in the you know w-h-e-r-e.

It is really a hard call as the Chefs Table is a bit pricey. It has never been a problem for them to accommodate my seafood allergy but one can only expect so much change. Some foods I didn't think I would like proved to quite tasty. All of the Chefs Tables I've attended have been a lot of fun partly because the ample amount of wine served loosens everyone up. Usually by the time you get to the last course Alpo on a stale saltine could pass for gourmet.

After seeing your posts on the M&M board about how picky the eaters are, and the issues with allergies I would not recommend Chef's Table for you. While they can accommodate some special requests (DH has issues with high potassium foods like tomatoes and potatoes and they have accommodated him), it seems that your request would blow the set menu out of the water and I'm not sure that's reasonable for them to accommodate. FYI, there are usually two courses that feature seafood so right there two completely different menu items would be required. IMO, if you're looking for a "special" dining experience, I'd stick with Chops.

Janet

That was my point.

Shoot me an email right now. I am on board the Serenade and will send you back a photo of the current Chef's Table menu. :)

Hello! I don't know that this is a good idea for a picky eater. You have to have an open mind and palette because the chef plans the same menu for everyone and in my experience the food is complex and can be unusual.... Not easy to change. The menu varies and you don't know what it is until you are seated....I think it even changes sometimes on the same cruise. You can't really see the menu and ask the chef to change on the fly. Wine pairings are also selected to match the meal.

You can make requests ahead of time based upon allergies... I believe you would do that at the restaurant reservations table or by calling restaurant reservations in advance of your dining time. I cannot have dairy and I just let the concierge know (we are D+ and in suites) and the chef slightly alters the course, if necessary. Usually it is the same protein, but maybe a different sauce. Always the same wine pairing.

However, I think if a person had a ton of allergies or dislikes, it would be hard for the chef to alter the planned meal and you definitely risk having courses you won't be able to eat or won't like.

I guess my advice is that if you are picky, or have a lot of special requests, this isn't for you. It is a great experience which we love, but it sounds like you would be better off at one of the other specialty restaurants which are also very good. Have fun!

Shoot me an email right now. I am on board the Serenade and will send you back a photo of the current Chef's Table menu. :)

Here is the menu from the Legend this past December. My wife asked to have scallops removed from her dinner due to an allergy. I believe they made her a shrimp version. I am not sure they are equipped for multiple changes though. It was a fantastic experience

Seems to me someone bailed on enjoying this meal with Laura and I. ;)

ry%3D400

Is the Chefs Table offered just once on a 7 day cruise? How much is it and when can you make a reservation for it?

Thanks!

No... It is every night, but I think select ships. The price varies per ship. You can make a reservation on the RCI online reservation system or on the ship.

I have read of others that have posted that they have accommodated guests with allergies. I personally would not ask for substitutions based on likes/dislikes as it is a fixed menu that the chef has specifically designed. You should discuss with chef once on board your allergies and not rely on special_needs to take care of it.

I thought it was the same menu on multiple ships...:confused:

Hello! I don't know that this is a good idea for a picky eater. You have to have an open mind and palette because the chef plans the same menu for everyone and in my experience the food is complex and can be unusual.... Not easy to change. The menu varies and you don't know what it is until you are seated....I think it even changes sometimes on the same cruise. You can't really see the menu and ask the chef to change on the fly. Wine pairings are also selected to match the meal.

You can make requests ahead of time based upon allergies... I believe you would do that at the restaurant reservations table or by calling restaurant reservations in advance of your dining time. I cannot have dairy and I just let the concierge know (we are D+ and in suites) and the chef slightly alters the course, if necessary. Usually it is the same protein, but maybe a different sauce. Always the same wine pairing.

However, I think if a person had a ton of allergies or dislikes, it would be hard for the chef to alter the planned meal and you definitely risk having courses you won't be able to eat or won't like.

I guess my advice is that if you are picky, or have a lot of special requests, this isn't for you. It is a great experience which we love, but it sounds like you would be better off at one of the other specialty restaurants which are also very good. Have fun!

I have to agree, I don't think it sounds like Chef's Table is for you, OP, and that's not a negative.

One of our favorite restaurants a few years back here had something similar. They offered it only on Saturday evenings and called it simply "Feed Me" with an option of "Wine Me." It was a Chef's choice menu, but in the beginning they'd go around the table and each diner was able to specify one two things they did NOT want, based on allergies or dislikes. But beyond that, it was whatever the chef made that night.

We always thought it was delicious, and obviously adventurous and it was a favorite dining experience for us. But we had friends who were NOT adventurous eaters who did not care for it at all. I think Chef's Table is exactly the same kind of experience, great for adventurous eaters, but definitely not for everyone.

There were two menus on Legend for the 9 night ABC trip. Cost was $70 PP

Understood, but I still think it's the same menus across multiple ships. If so, it's not really a chef's table in the truest sense in that the chef hasn't really created his own menu, as indicated in post #2.

Edited by time4u2go

Understood, but I still think it's the same menus across multiple ships. If so, it's not really a chef's table in the truest sense in that the chef hasn't really created his own menu, as indicated in post #2.

I think you are right, we've done Chef's Table on 3 different ships and it's been pretty much the same menu.

The deserts might have been different but there had been so much wine up to that point, I may not be really sure what we had for desert!:D

Sherri:)

Edited by sjb317

Not wishing to hijack the thread but I have a 12 day cruise on Brilliance of the Seas coming up and I would like to book Chef's Table but wondered if there there was a particularly good night to book or for that matter one to avoid. For example should I avoid the first or last nights and is it better going the night before a day cruising rather than a day in port? Thanks everyone I really hope you can help me make this decision :)

Gail x

I think the OP should definitely try the Chefs Table. Like the OP my husband do not care for lamb (we too have tried it many times and are not fans).

We did Chef Table on Serenade last year, and inquired before the meal if we should cancel when we discovered lamb was the main course. The chef made a discrete substitution of a lovely filet mignon and the meal and experience were sensational.

I think if you inquire before being seated, and perhaps before booking a reservation, you'll get a feel for how accommodating your chef and his team are, on your particular sailing. I fully realize that some chefs may not be as accommodating, so inquiring up front is my recommendation.

I think the OP should definitely try the Chefs Table. Like the OP my husband do not care for lamb (we too have tried it many times and are not fans).

We did Chef Table on Serenade last year, and inquired before the meal if we should cancel when we discovered lamb was the main course. The chef made a discrete substitution of a lovely filet mignon and the meal and experience were sensational.

I think if you inquire before being seated, and perhaps before booking a reservation, you'll get a feel for how accommodating your chef and his team are, on your particular sailing. I fully realize that some chefs may not be as accommodating, so inquiring up front is my recommendation.

I can see them changing one item, but OP had multiple issues. That would be a problem