Cenote snorkeling Progreso

der alte Vogel

As I said before we do the Carnival Conquest Christmas cruise. I read something about cenote snorkeling in the area of Progreso, but nothing specific, does one need a guide, where is it, what is the quality of snorkeling, clear water, how to get in, some fish ? Anything else to see under water ?

Thanks in advance.:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We are sailing Dec 3rd - 8th. We are planning on doing this. We still are not sure if we are going to do the ship escursion or on our own. But I am making it to a Cenote. If I rememeber when I come back I will post. It should be beautiful. I cant wait to see it.

From what I have read so far. If you do the escursion on the ship you go to 2 cenotes. If you can figure out how to get there by yourself you get to go to 3 centoes.

• 5 years later...

I realize that this is an old thread. I am fairly new to cruise critic and just had to respond.. in case someone would like to know in the future.

Yes, there is some truly amazing Cenote snorkeling available through a private local tour company from the port of Progreso called YucatanCenote.com Eco-Aventuras. I have gone out with them three times already, to different Cenotes each time. Very unique and very authentic. They do not take you to the commercialized Cenotes, they take you to the natural beauties out there. They told me that there are an estimated 6000 Cenotes in Yucatan. They supplied us with masks, snorkels and life jackets. The equipment was good and clean, however I did bring my own snorkel. No fins provided and really not required anyway. Had fun and will go again.

• 3 months later...
I realize that this is an old thread. I am fairly new to cruise critic and just had to respond.. in case someone would like to know in the future.

Yes, there is some truly amazing Cenote snorkeling available through a private local tour company from the YucatanCenote.com Eco-Aventuras. I have gone out with them three times already, to different Cenotes each time. Very unique and very authentic. They do not take you to the commercialized Cenotes, they take you to the natural beauties out there. They told me that there are an estimated 6000 Cenotes in Yucatan. They supplied us with masks, snorkels and life jackets. The equipment was good and clean, however I did bring my own snorkel. No fins provided and really not required anyway. Had fun and will go again.

This is awesome advice - and I will look into this company.

May I ask, did you ever worry that they might not get you back in time? I have scheduled tours with independent companies before - but on my upcoming cruise with my bff who has never cruised before I'm more nervous since most things to do here seem far from the port!

• 1 month later...