Type of binoculars for an Alaskan cruise

easy_123

And that's all I take, spending way more time out on deck than the average cruiser. :)

And as I own several pairs of binoculars including 10X, I would never recommend taking them on a cruise...but to each their own.:)

10 or higher is pretty hard to keep steady you will need to try somewhere before you buy or borrow. I spent some $$ on these in 2000

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-10x30-Stabilization-Binoculars-Batteries/dp/B00004THDC

they work really well while on the ship and on the whale watching boat unless you do not get motion sickness at all I think trying to use them on a small boat is looking for trouble on a walking tour you could be fine with anything you can hold steady.

10 or higher is pretty hard to keep steady you will need to try somewhere before you buy or borrow. I spent some $$ on these in 2000

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-10x30-Stabilization-Binoculars-Batteries/dp/B00004THDC

they work really well while on the ship and on the whale watching boat unless you do not get motion sickness at all I think trying to use them on a small boat is looking for trouble on a walking tour you could be fine with anything you can hold steady.

Best advice is to try out several binoculars at a sporting goods store. My binoculars, have no issue remaining steady and I never get ill. As I already stated, I am out on deck with them, WAY more than the average visitor, along with multiple boat trips and flights. Everyone, has an option to find out what works best for them. I want the higher power, especially in Denali, my priority for my choice. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

and cheap!

I had no idea how much can be spent on some glass, metal and plastic. As i read and study the field of of binoculars , the vision of how much money is leaving my wallet grows exponentially.

Sent from my nexus 7 using tapatalk hd

lol! :d

What do you think of these? @ $205.00

Zen-Ray Optics 8 x 42mm 2010 ZRS HD Water Proof Roof Prism Binocular with 7.5 Degree Angle of View, 17.3mm Eye Relief, 6' Close Focus.

Which model? We bought the Zen-Ray Summit recently for about $130.

Which model? We bought the Zen-Ray Summit recently for about $130.

The problem w zen rays (which everyone on CC seems to love) is that you can not buy them at any brick and mortar store. I never buy any sort of optics without holding it and trying it first. I have tested several highly rated expensive binoculars at stores and have found that although they may be excellent binoculars, I just did not find them comfortable to use.

It may be OK to buy cheap or inexpensive binoculars without trying them as they are basically just throwaway items but good ones last a lifetime and have to be tested first.

DON

The problem w zen rays (which everyone on CC seems to love) is that you can not buy them at any brick and mortar store. I never buy any sort of optics without holding it and trying it first. I have tested several highly rated expensive binoculars at stores and have found that although they may be excellent binoculars, I just did not find them comfortable to use.

It may be OK to buy cheap or inexpensive binoculars without trying them as they are basically just throwaway items but good ones last a lifetime and have to be tested first.

DON

I went to 2 "brick and mortar stores" to check out the binoculars and was not happy with the selection for the 8x42s. Most were too heavy, or not waterproof/fog proof, or way out of our price range. We will use them rarely.

There is another very large string here on binoculars which was very informative and yes, the Zen-Rays were highly recommended. We ordered the Zen- Ray Summits and are very pleased with them. Very light weight, only 22.7 oz. I expect we will have them for many years.

Check the return policy before you order.

Not sure,model # is SKU ZRZRS842.

I recently just bought a pair Zen Ray 10 X 42 Vista waterproof with argon 330 ft field of view at 1000 yds. I am very satisfied with them I bought them off Ebay brand new with warranty for $ 139. total ( no taxes or shipping ). I have a pair of more expensive binoculars and these are very comparable . Yes you can buy a lot more expensive ones & a lot better. It just depends how big your pocket book is. Not bad for the money. :)

• 3 weeks later...
What do you think of these? @ $205.00

Zen-Ray Optics 8 x 42mm 2010 ZRS HD Water Proof Roof Prism Binocular with 7.5 Degree Angle of View, 17.3mm Eye Relief, 6' Close Focus.

We have similar one, but older model from Zen-Ray. Those ZRS (summit) binoculars are very nice. We ended up getting two pairs for both of us.

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/zrshd.html

I purchased both the Zen Ray Vista 8X42 and 10X42. The 8X42 is much more stable to hold and I'm going to get another one because these binoculars are waterproof, inexpensive, and far better than the cheap ones we have at home.

I bought them on Wayfair where they are priced at $139. If you enter your e-mail address, you will receive a coupon code for 10% off. The shipping was free and there was no tax.

I think these are fabulous, inexpensive binoculars and I'm thrilled to have discovered them on these forums. Thanks to all those who recommended them.

We love our Zen Rays. We purchased them for our first Alaska cruise will be bringing them with us this July!

I just bought a new pair of Zen Ray binoculars 10X42 for my wife for our trip to Alaska this summer for $ 139 off Ebay same price as Zen Rays web site less shipping. I have not got to use in field much but seem to be very clear. I also have a set from Cabela's 10X42 both are water proof that we will be taking also :).

I purchased both the Zen Ray Vista 8X42 and 10X42. The 8X42 is much more stable to hold and I'm going to get another one because these binoculars are waterproof, inexpensive, and far better than the cheap ones we have at home.

I bought them on Wayfair where they are priced at $139. If you enter your e-mail address, you will receive a coupon code for 10% off. The shipping was free and there was no tax.

I think these are fabulous, inexpensive binoculars and I'm thrilled to have discovered them on these forums. Thanks to all those who recommended them.

Those VISTA binoculars are very nice. I have compared them to $300 Nikon Monarch. The view is much nicer and clearer with VISTA

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/vista/vista8x42.html

we got both 8x and 10x so we can use 10x for land tour while 8x is primarily for whale watching

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, I am now torn between these two. The Bushnells are much cheaper, but maybe there's a reason for that.....

http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Ray-Optics-2010-VISTA-Binoculars/dp/B005NIOTR4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366166976&sr=8-1&keywords=zen+ray+8x42+vista

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Waterproof-Fogproof-Prism-Binocular/dp/B006U3ZIWQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366167018&sr=8-2&keywords=bushnell+8x42+waterproof

Anyone used the Bushnells that can compare them to the Zen Rays? I won't be able to hold/test either pair before my trip so any help would be great.

Waterproof is good if it is raining and go for a lightweight. I have a pair of 8x25 which are fine for during the day. Those 7x50's etc are for low light levels or night.

Good night! Never mind binoculars, sounds like I might as well just remove my rifle scope and bring that. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Ugh, I am now torn between these two. The Bushnells are much cheaper, but maybe there's a reason for that.....

http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Ray-Optics-2010-VISTA-Binoculars/dp/B005NIOTR4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366166976&sr=8-1&keywords=zen+ray+8x42+vista

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Waterproof-Fogproof-Prism-Binocular/dp/B006U3ZIWQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366167018&sr=8-2&keywords=bushnell+8x42+waterproof

Anyone used the Bushnells that can compare them to the Zen Rays? I won't be able to hold/test either pair before my trip so any help would be great.

The VISTA is better binoculars. I have tried Bushnell Excursion or Legend. They are similar to VISTA. But their H2O model is very dim for lack of better coating.

• 1 month later...
The VISTA is better binoculars. I have tried Bushnell Excursion or Legend. They are similar to VISTA. But their H2O model is very dim for lack of better coating.

What plenox said.

I've recently returned a pair of Bushnell Legend HD binoculars because of build quality issues and would not trust the brand now. But the Zen Rays are well regarded and many have a lifetime transferable warranty that will give you piece of mind.

I own two pairs of their twin sister company (Atlas Optics) and am very pleased with their quality and performance and their price-points!

• 10 months later...

Despite the mixed reviews on Bushnell's...

We have one set of Bushnell Extra High Power 10x 32mm compacts. Not water resistant, as far as I can tell.

There are 2 of us, but a tight budget.

Should we buy another inexpensive pair, maybe less mag, but a waterproof pair so we have at least one that can go out if it's pouring?

Or should we just stick with these and put the money toward other trip items...we have cheap ponchos but not waterproof jackets...and all I own are sandals :eek:, so obviously need some sneakers, at least.

I think another pair is in order just so you don't have to share (the dioptic adjustment will be different for each person).

FWIW, my go to glass is an older (maybe 6 years now?) Japanese made pair of Bushnell Legend 8x32s (Browning labeled); they are very bright and clear with a wide field of view and have a "rain guard" coating on the lenses (in addition to being waterproof). The newer Legends are Chinese and from what I understand Chinese optic technology/quality is just beginning to come around.