Surprise taxes & fees - just putting it out there...

axelskater

I received a notice last week that my final bill was due today, I called to pay the exact amount which was sent to me, and was told fees & taxes had gone up this past week, nothing could be done, the new amount was the new amount. Okay, but what if I had made final payment last week?

"Then we would bill the new taxes to your onboard account".

I asked if I heard correctly and that anyone who paid in full prior to this tax/fee increase would suddenly get a bill on board with no notice? The answer was yes.

I see an irate line of pax standing outside the Purser's desk on the last sea day when they see this $ tacked on to their bill with no notice.

I didn't make my final payment after this phone call, as I was pretty annoyed. I guess I have until cancellation time tonight to see how annoyed. I don't ever like to get angry at customer service people, but I was hoppin' mad today.

Last year after I had paid in full for my QV world voyage, I received a notice that the port fees had gone up and I needed to pay an additional amount. Can't remember the amount but I think around $200. I paid then a few days later they notified me that the amount was wrong and the correct amount was less. Then they informed me that the amount that I over paid will be put into my on board account.

Nice way to hold onto my money for an extra amount of time. I heard from several others on the cruise from the U.S. that this happened to them too. Others never received the notice.

Don

Yes, taxes and fees can go up even after final payment and the increase can be collected by the cruise line. And yes it can be annoying.

Quoting from Cunard's U.S. Passage Contract found at http://www.cunard.com/legal-information/

"Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses are subject to change and Carrier reserves the right to collect any increases in effect at the time of sailing even if the fare has already been paid in full."

Regards,

John.

Edited by bluemarble

It's the "no notice" everyone will get a bill without telling you, that irked me. It has never happened to me before. For a 5 day cruise, on which I think there will be a fair amount of Cunard first time "tasters", $60 unexpected for a 5 day voyage may turn some people off, to suddenly see that on their shipboard account.

It's the "no notice" everyone will get a bill without telling you, that irked me. It has never happened to me before. For a 5 day cruise, on which I think there will be a fair amount of Cunard first time "tasters", $60 unexpected for a 5 day voyage may turn some people off, to suddenly see that on their shipboard account.

I think the "no notice" part would irk me too. And a $60 increase is not trivial to my mind for a short five day voyage. I have only been hit once with an increase after final payment. That was on a Princess cruise I booked through an online travel agent. About two weeks after the final payment date I received an additional invoice for $2.20 from the travel agent. I was told it was in increase in the port charges for one of the ports on our itinerary.

Regards,

John.

This must be a US thing (and I see almost all replies are from the US on here). Once you pay that's it. A contract is formed as soon as you pay the deposit and the final amount has been clearly stated. Legally in the UK they can't change that amount (the only exception is when something has been sold at clearly the wrong price. Then a company can withdraw and refund you your money).

This must be a US thing (and I see almost all replies are from the US on here). Once you pay that's it. A contract is formed as soon as you pay the deposit and the final amount has been clearly stated. Legally in the UK they can't change that amount (the only exception is when something has been sold at clearly the wrong price. Then a company can withdraw and refund you your money).

Yes, in my case above, it was only US passengers that were contacted.

Don

Yes, four times, fifth upcoming.

Speciality restaurants included.

Strong no-smoking policy...only allowed in enclosed area of Horizons Lounge and area on pool deck.

E-cigs allowed everywhere but eating areas.

Very comfy beds.

Edited by turnip eater

Lady Hudson - I didn't have to pay because I cancelled.

It seems like Cunard fans like Oceania too...

I have been looking and looking at Alaska. I have not been in about 15 years, I was there on a cruise right after graduate school. Oceania I hear has excellent food and very good service. When I called, their salesperson said they were a "foodie" line. It sounds like a very nice time, but the one thing I would miss is dancing. I would not think they have a ballroom on a ship that size, but is there anywhere one can just do a nice foxtrot or even a cha cha;)

Holland America also goes to Alaska...

I'm on a 5-day at the end of July, is this the cruise with the increase?

I've been on Oceania a few times with a few more booked.

BTW, I haven't been notified of any increase for my QM2 cruise. :confused:

Lady Hudson - I didn't have to pay because I cancelled.

It seems like Cunard fans like Oceania too...

I have been looking and looking at Alaska. I have not been in about 15 years, I was there on a cruise right after graduate school. Oceania I hear has excellent food and very good service. When I called, their salesperson said they were a "foodie" line. It sounds like a very nice time, but the one thing I would miss is dancing. I would not think they have a ballroom on a ship that size, but is there anywhere one can just do a nice foxtrot or even a cha cha;)

Holland America also goes to Alaska...

Dancing in Horizons, after dinner/show. Oceania's ships are 'quiet'ships. Lots of people go to bed early, ready for next day's sightseeing. No late night partying.

I'm on a 5-day at the end of July, is this the cruise with the increase?

I've been on Oceania a few times with a few more booked.

BTW, I haven't been notified of any increase for my QM2 cruise. :confused:

If you haven't been notified, there will be about $60 on your shipboard account when you disembark. Yes it's the 5 day voyage.

Dancing in Horizons, after dinner/show. Oceania's ships are 'quiet'ships. Lots of people go to bed early, ready for next day's sightseeing. No late night partying.

That actually sounds great! A little dancing, a drink & a good night's sleep! Thank you.

If you haven't been notified, there will be about $60 on your shipboard account when you disembark. Yes it's the 5 day voyage.

FYI - at final payment last week we were charged $32 extra per person. We have 3 in a balcony cabin this time.

I have just got off Queen Victoria today and was surprised at a couple of things on the statement

First, I received two interim statements that did not mention the onboard gratuities. I even phoned and enquired about it. The date it was debited was the second-last day of the cruise, to show up when I received my final statement. In the past it's always been taken off the first day. I wonder if this is a way to make sure people pay. I spoke to one gentleman halfway through, a first-time cruiser, who asked me what I do about gratuities. I told him about the automatic charge and he had not been aware of it. This means he could have given out a lot of individual gratuities and then found he had to pay the automatic ones, and it was too late to delete them.

Second, only on today's final statement did it show that I had been charged $49 for a transfer from Newark Airport to the ship. In the past such transfers were always included in the air package. I did not see any mention of it when I booked the cruise. It left me feeling a bit disgruntled that I had not been told upfront.

This is not the Cunard way we have always known.

I have just got off Queen Victoria today and was surprised at a couple of things on the statement

Hi Fantasy, sorry I only just saw your question about the deck plans, I was off line for a couple of weeks, hope the stateroom lived up to expectations and the surprise fee didn't spoil your experience too much.

regards Roscoe

Hi Fantasy, sorry I only just saw your question about the deck plans, I was off line for a couple of weeks, hope the stateroom lived up to expectations and the surprise fee didn't spoil your experience too much.

regards Roscoe

Hi Roscoe. I was in 7008. At the end of my corridor there was a door with a glass panel and through that I could see cabins for the officers off watch. It was a good location except that the corridor stank of cigarette smoke. I gather the officers are allowed to smoke in their rooms and so the smell comes out into the corridor whenever that door is opened!

The surprise fee is okay, as I budget for holidays. It was just disappointing as it felt as though Cunard chose the posting dates in order to get things past us.

Unfortunately I have had to go to the local hospital today (after-hours care) after 3 days of fever, nausea, headaches, etc. The doctor thinks I caught a tummy bug on the ship and now I just have to see the virus through.