Wine for cabin/balcony

alpha58

Hi all,

I have done a forum search and couldn't really find the answer to my question(s). We are leaving from Barcelona on Equinox in early June. We have upgraded our beverage package to Premium. We really enjoy a glass of wine (or two) on our balcony at sailaway or other times during the cruise. I know we can bring 2 bottles on board with us, if we want. We are tentatively planning to do so, realizing that that will probably not last the entire (11 night) cruise. The question is about alternative methods for enjoying wine on the balcony.

1. Having the beverage package, I know we can get wines by the glass and carry them back to the cabin. A bit labor intensive, but certainly doable.

2. Can wines by the bottle be ordered from room service, understanding that they are not included in the beverage package, but that we should get some percentage discount with the package? If this can be done, where might I find a wine list of what is available?

3. Gifting wine by the bottle to ourselves seems limited to a selection of only 3 red (the type we enjoy) wines. Also, a bit expensive (no package discount). Are these prices comparable to what we might find on the MDR wine list?

4. Any other suggestions?

I realize this is not exactly an earth shattering dilemma as we will be enjoying our cruise. Just trying to figure out our options.

Thanks in advance,

Val

Hi all,

I have done a forum search and couldn't really find the answer to my question(s). We are leaving from Barcelona on Equinox in early June. We have upgraded our beverage package to Premium. We really enjoy a glass of wine (or two) on our balcony at sailaway or other times during the cruise. I know we can bring 2 bottles on board with us, if we want. We are tentatively planning to do so, realizing that that will probably not last the entire (11 night) cruise. The question is about alternative methods for enjoying wine on the balcony.

1. Having the beverage package, I know we can get wines by the glass and carry them back to the cabin. A bit labor intensive, but certainly doable.

2. Can wines by the bottle be ordered from room service, understanding that they are not included in the beverage package, but that we should get some percentage discount with the package? If this can be done, where might I find a wine list of what is available?

3. Gifting wine by the bottle to ourselves seems limited to a selection of only 3 red (the type we enjoy) wines. Also, a bit expensive (no package discount). Are these prices comparable to what we might find on the MDR wine list?

4. Any other suggestions?

I realize this is not exactly an earth shattering dilemma as we will be enjoying our cruise. Just trying to figure out our options.

Thanks in advance,

Val

1. Yes

2. You ring room service and ask (or if in a suite ask your butler).

3. I don't know the answer to this.

4. Make sure your cabin is located closer to a bar so that (1) isn't such a schlep.

1. Yes

2. You ring room service and ask (or if in a suite ask your butler).

3. I don't know the answer to this.

4. Make sure your cabin is located closer to a bar so that (1) isn't such a schlep.

# 4 is your easiest and cheapest solution. :D

There are so many bars/places to get wine that I doubt it will be a problem walking and picking up two glasses of wine (just remember, you will need both cards).

In addition to the bars on the 3rd, 4th and 5th decks, you can also get a glass at the Oceanview Café.

We were on the Equinox in March and it was never a big deal to walk and come back with a couple glasses (we were near the bow of the ship on deck 7). The bigger issue we found was that different bars carried different wines so the walk sometimes became a bit longer if there was a particular wine we wanted.

The Sunset Bar was just off our balcony (cabin 1133). Just get 2 of everything when you make a run.

Food was just inside if we needed a snack.

Heaven help those in the hold, the ones rowing down below in the not so glorious cabins.

I was inside bottom, then very low with a window, deck 8 with a balcony. I have seen the light, Aqua 1 puts me on top next to everything. You get what you pay for.

CaptDave

Here is a Texas Aggie engineering thought, ;)

Take a small kitchen funnel with you. When you finish your first bottle dont throw it out, save it. Then make a couple quick trips to one of the bars, get 2 glasses, return and pour them into your empty. Then you don't have to get out of your jammies or such:eek: when you want another glass on the veranda!

Presto! Yes it is, " A bit labor intensive, but certainly doable" :D

Thanks to everyone for their responses, some of them quite imaginative (talking to you wallie5446!). DH was just trying to avoid schlepping the bottles aboard I think, so wanted me to inquire about alternatives. I think the "by the glass" option makes the most sense. We are on Deck 10 near the central elevators, so access to a number of bars shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks to everyone for their responses, some of them quite imaginative (talking to you wallie5446!). DH was just trying to avoid schlepping the bottles aboard I think, so wanted me to inquire about alternatives. I think the "by the glass" option makes the most sense. We are on Deck 10 near the central elevators, so access to a number of bars shouldn't be a problem.

Why, Thank You, thank you berry much! A vacation is spuodda be fun, right! Have a great cruise:)

ps: Truth be know, it was not my idea, got it from our Steward on the Reflection in 2013. He saw me going to fetch for the wifester a couple of time's. I can not take credit for another's smart thinking!

Edited by wallie5446

I think I need to add a funnel to my packing list! :p

A small one mind you! It has to fit properly into the neck of the bottle so you dont spill and make a messy wine stain :eek:, and create more work for our over stressed cabin Stewards:D

There is a duty free past security in Barcelona. Just buy several bottles there and take up to your room.

I don't think that works....there is a security check ON the ship that will/may take those bottles from you and return on last night of cruise.....

Edited by Gracie115

• 2 weeks later...

No, there is no security. I dropped of my bags in my room then came back down the escalator and I bought 6 bottles of wine and some bottled water and took them all to my room. Duty free was after security and the scanners. Read the Barcelona posts by other guests.

Edited by frenchcanrican

No, there is no security. I dropped of my bags in my room then came back down the escalator and I bought 6 bottles of wine and some bottled water and took them all to my room. Duty free was after security and the scanners. Read the Barcelona posts by other guests.

So if we have an overnight in Barcelona, as we do next year on the Reflection, I can go out buy a couple bottles and bring back to our stateroom and nobody checks your bags when you get on the ship? Wow....have never had no security at any port....scanners used everywhere.....well good....by the time we reach Barcelona I will probably have run out of what I brought on board in Miami!!:)

So if we have an overnight in Barcelona, as we do next year on the Reflection, I can go out buy a couple bottles and bring back to our stateroom and nobody checks your bags when you get on the ship? Wow....have never had no security at any port....scanners used everywhere.....well good....by the time we reach Barcelona I will probably have run out of what I brought on board in Miami!!:)

You can absolutely purchase bottles of wine as well as various liquors in the duty free store AFTER you go through the scanners. We've done it every time we've been in Barcelona. No problemo!

If you have the premium beverage package, you get a 20% discount on bottles of wine that you buy onboard.

Buy a bottle during dinner, and have them open it for you. Then take it back to your cabin to enjoy it.

Repeat as often as necessary.

That's what I did once I ran out of what I shclepped onboard with me....

You have to go through scanners and security then check in,After that you will go through the duty free. Then up an escalator to the ship where they scan your card for the first time.

You can absolutely purchase bottles of wine as well as various liquors in the duty free store AFTER you go through the scanners. We've done it every time we've been in Barcelona. No problemo!

Thanks for the info.....will definitely do this next year!!!:D

This is good news as we wanted to buy some Spanish wine (our favourite) and figured we would have to store it below decks til the end of the cruise.

It would be great to bring on more bottles and drink them on the cruise. Heres hoping they have a good selection in the shop.

Edited by Velvetwater