Meds/vitamins/snacks - sorry to rehash the issue..

bconley351

• 1 month later...

Just returned from Australia/NZ & can tell you that I went thru customs w/absolutely no problem. I had brought OTC meds, perscription meds, vitamins & minerals in original packages which took up a lot of space. I was not questioned, did not have to show anything, not even the letter about my perscription. Next time I would simply pack my meds, etc. the way I usually travel w/them & not bother w/original packages.

I have been stopped before and had prescription medications inside original bottles checked. I didn't have the prescriptions but my name was on the bottles. I was told that if they hadn't been in the original packaging the inspectors could check each tablet against a list to determine what they were. It would take a long time. I guess if you are away for 10 days or so you wouldn't be carrying a commercial quantity but for a longer trip like mine it might look suspicious.

I figure the original packaging was as good as having a prescription.

If you don't take original packaging I'd at least have a list of the meds to speed up the checking process IF you do get checked.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If I have the original bottles can I also have a pre-filled pill organizer on arrival with those medications in it? Or must I spend my travel day sorting through the pills I need while enroute?

I took the original bottles, my weekly organizer, and then just sorted through what I needed once I was at my first stop. It really didn't take any more time than what I would do at home, just a nuisance to have the bottles take up exra space. My husband kept telling me we wouldn't be checked, but I felt it was better to be safe than sorry.

I took the original bottles, my weekly organizer, and then just sorted through what I needed once I was at my first stop. It really didn't take any more time than what I would do at home, just a nuisance to have the bottles take up exra space. My husband kept telling me we wouldn't be checked, but I felt it was better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks! That sounds like the best decision. Less stress! :)

Hi happytalk44, can you guess who this is? Would love to catch up with you if you are coming down here for a visit.

No need to worry about your pills in NZ they will allow you to bring them in original bottles and have your days pills in a carry container without a problem. Bring them in your carry on luggage in a plastic zip lock bag if arriving at the airport. For daily trips off the boat the biggest concerns are food items coming off the ship and you are likely to be sniffed by MAF dogs and x ray screened.

Some one asked about pseudophedrine in NZ that is only available by doctors prescription. Immodium is available over the counter at Pharmacies.

Australia and New Zealand have some things in common but there is still some variation on what you can bring into the country. We have recently had a bio security scare so there is a clampdown on checking passengers luggage at the moment.

• 1 month later...

Appreciate learning about the rules for meds. Since DW and I will be embark the ship in Sydney, thanks for the link to the Australian rules. They seem very doable. I have extracted some pertinent portions:

Medicines

You need to declare medicines and substances which may be subject to misuse, abuse or dependence, such as:

• steroids

• opioid analgesics

• cannabis or narcotic based medications

These products may be restricted or require a permit in order to be imported.

Traditional medicines

Some traditional medicines may contain endangered plant or animal products and these should be declared.

Prescription medicines

• If you are carrying prescription medication you do not need to declare these provided you import no more than three months supply.

• You should carry a letter of prescription from your doctor in the English language describing your medical condition.

• If you are residing or visiting Australia for three months or longer and require ongoing medications, you should visit an Australian doctor to obtain your prescriptions.

• If you are intending to have your medications sent through the mail or via courier, import permits will be required prior to importing the medications.

• You should enquire about the import procedures before you arrive in Australia.

• The Department of Health has more advice for travellers bringing medications into Australia.

No need to declare

You do not need to declare medications such as aspirin, paracetamol or Australian over the counter medications.

If you are carrying prescription medication you do not need to declare these provided you import no more than three months supply.

You should carry a letter or prescription from your doctor in the English language describing your medication and medical condition.

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from a land trip to Australia and New Zealand, overnighting in Melbourne when we arrived then New Zealand and then back to Australia. We were never asked to show our medications (I had the bottles of prescription meds and a few days worth in little daily bags I kept refilling). I will say we had what we needed for our trip and no more but we were never checked. As said above, the interest was in food. When passing through security, the only thing that was consistently asked for to be out were lap tops and ipad type machines and jackets. When I put out my bag of liquids in Melbourne our first security stop, my Tide was confiscated as a "dangerous liquid". My advice is to have your med bottles if you are worried (I was not asked for them anywhere) and do not put anything that locals do not put out for security to see. I believe that some people have had problems with meds and we met someone on one tour who had had to get their shoes cleaned entering New Zealand but by and large, regular meds (like for high cholesterol and high blood pressure) are not a concern and should not be listed on your entry form and they will tell you if your shoes are not ok. After a couple of flights, I just put anything liquid in our checked luggage and had no problems. Meds were always in my carry on without incident.

We did all get colds. You cannot buy pseudoephedrine without a prescription in NZ but you only need ID in Australia. The Sudafed PE for Sinus and colds helped a bit. Paracetamol did not. I did have a little Immodium and Zantac with me. I was not asked about it.