need wetsuit to snorkel in Cabo in Feb?

utopia

i'll be sailing on Princess to Cabo San Lucas soon (in two weeks in mid Feb) and from the current temperatures (70's), it looks like snorkeling will be very chilly. anyone either snorkeled there recently or know how the water temperature is? i wouldn't want to go through the trouble of buying a wetsuit just for this cruise; so if it's too cold to snorkel comfortably in a swimsuit, i'll sadly have to opt out.

thanks for any input!

I was in Cabo on Jan 20 and went to Santa Maria Cove. While the water was chilly it only took a couple of minutes after I started moving about to feel comfortable and although the visibility wasn't so good where we entered the water off the catamaran as soon as we got to the shallow, rocky end where we were told the snorkeling would be good, the visibility was excellent and the variety of colorful fish exceeded my Caribbean snorkel excursions. The water was also extremely calm as this cove is protected from the Pacific. This was one of my best snorkeling experiences. So if only the wetsuit is an issue I'd suggest arranging for one.

i thought the only issue would be the somewhat chilly temp's this time of year until i heard from your posts and others that the water is murkier and rougher, too. :cool:

cruise pup, would you happen to know if the best area for snorkeling that you described is easy to find at SMB? i've heard that lover's beach is popular for snorkeling, but your description makes me want to check out SMB. was the spot you choose accessible by water taxi, also? i'd rather save the dough and not have to go on a catamaran tour if i can help it.

thanks!

The snorkeling at Lover's beach is only good on very calm days. The water there is colder than Santa Maria. I have been to Santa Maria twice and the snorkeling was very good both times. The water was clear, tons of fish and the cove is very calm. The beach is just beautiful. If you take some food for the fish, hundreds will come to feed. The water feels warm after you are in for awhile. The only time you will wish you had a wet suit is when the little jellyfish are present. Santa Maria is a long way from the ship tender dock. I don't think the water taxis go that far.

Mike

food! i can't believe i didn't think of that. thanks, that's a very smart idea! could you give me an example of what kind of fish food to bring? i know nothing about what fish are able to eat, besides those little gold fish flakes. hopefully i can just bring something from the ship (if it's safe for them, of course).

I've seen lots of stuff work. You can take along the little boxes of cereal from the ship, hot dog rolls or other bread. Even dog biscuits work. As for going to Santa Maria on your own, you'd need to go by land taxi. It's about 10 miles away from Cabo. There is access from the road. I think Chileno Bay has facitilies but Santa Maria doesn't. I don't have any idea how much a cab would cost but you would have to make sure the cab will come back from you. There might be buses but that would really be taking a chance. The catamaran is so much fun I'd say find something else to save on and go for it.

food! i can't believe i didn't think of that. thanks, that's a very smart idea! could you give me an example of what kind of fish food to bring? i know nothing about what fish are able to eat, besides those little gold fish flakes. hopefully i can just bring something from the ship (if it's safe for them, of course).

When diving, I've used mini-pretzels with excellent results. Their advantage is that they take a while to get soggy and break up.

- Erik

i thought the only issue would be the somewhat chilly temp's this time of year until i heard from your posts and others that the water is murkier and rougher, too. :cool:

cruise pup, would you happen to know if the best area for snorkeling that you described is easy to find at SMB? i've heard that lover's beach is popular for snorkeling, but your description makes me want to check out SMB. was the spot you choose accessible by water taxi, also? i'd rather save the dough and not have to go on a catamaran tour if i can help it.

thanks!

I didn't answer the snorkeling spot question. If you go to this link you'll see a great aerial photo of Santa Maria Cove (photo on the left). In the foreground which is the west end of the beach, you'll see that the water is shallow by the rocks (right in front of the catamaran). This is where you snorkel:

http://www.loscabosguide.com/beaches/santamaria.htm

Have fun. By the way, if the water wasn't clear how could the rocks show up so well in that photo?!!!

thx for the pic (and all the info), cruise pup! the visual helps a lot.

btw, how was the jellyfish situation for you in January? did you find it necessary to swab that jellyfish-repellant on?

someone mentioned that the ppl on their snorkeling tour got stung over 10 times! *ouch*

i'll post up a new thread for this question, too.

I went snorkeling in Cabo in December and found no need for a wetsuit. The water was great. We went snorkling in the area just off the rocks on the north side, just to the right of the arch. It was clear and we saw a lot of fish closer to shore, in the shallow water. It was almost as good as the fish we saw in Aruba.

thx for the pic (and all the info), cruise pup! the visual helps a lot.

btw, how was the jellyfish situation for you in January? did you find it necessary to swab that jellyfish-repellant on?

someone mentioned that the ppl on their snorkeling tour got stung over 10 times! *ouch*

i'll post up a new thread for this question, too.

No jellyfish problem when we went. Didn't see any. They played a recorded announcement on the the boat advising that jellies had been spotted in the area within the past 24 hours and anyone wishing to leave would get a refund. No one left. I'm thinking they play this recording every day to cover themselves.

Archived