cruise passenger list?

knjfaith

I think the TSA would drag you off if you had such a list ;)

Funny you say that. About 18 months ago, I was traveling through Atlanta the same day a friend of mine was. We knew we were both flying, but I hadn't really put two and two together to figure out we would be at the same airport until my flight to Atlanta. On a whim, I walked up to a not-so-busy Delta agent. All I wanted to know was the gates, flight times, and where the Delta lounge was so I could try to find my friend. They pulled up her record, told me who she was traveling with, what time they left, and that they were already on the ground in Boston. I was bummed I missed my friend (we rarely see each other), but completely shocked at the level of information I was given.

My point - I'm not sure its a TSA thing. The airlines usually follow TSA to the letter. Do I think you could get a list? No. But, I wouldn't be surprised if you could call up and ask about a specific other person.

Funny you say that. About 18 months ago, I was traveling through Atlanta the same day a friend of mine was. We knew we were both flying, but I hadn't really put two and two together to figure out we would be at the same airport until my flight to Atlanta. On a whim, I walked up to a not-so-busy Delta agent. All I wanted to know was the gates, flight times, and where the Delta lounge was so I could try to find my friend. They pulled up her record, told me who she was traveling with, what time they left, and that they were already on the ground in Boston. I was bummed I missed my friend (we rarely see each other), but completely shocked at the level of information I was given.

My point - I'm not sure its a TSA thing. The airlines usually follow TSA to the letter. Do I think you could get a list? No. But, I wouldn't be surprised if you could call up and ask about a specific other person.

I'm suprised they would give out such information, you could have been anyone she was trying to get away from...and BOOM you get all the information.

Wow.. we were flying to vacation with my boyfriends parents. We wanted to check on their flight but they would hardly give us any info on it. All in who you talk to I guess.

An dear friend from these message boards recently married his life partner, and I wanted to send a surprise OBC to them on their honeymoon cruise. I called Cunard and explained what I was looking to do. I only knew his last name and his partner's first name.

They gave me his booking ID, his cabin number and his husband's last name. Which I was grateful for, but I was also a little surprised it was so easy to get.

No wonder people cannot get away from the stalkers of this world.

I'm suprised they would give out such information, you could have been anyone she was trying to get away from...and BOOM you get all the information.

I admit, I was seriously bothered by how easy it was and how forthcoming they were. I told my friend about it, and she was actually going to write a letter to Delta about it, but I don't know if she ever did. I do, however, wonder if they were more forthcoming because I was in the terminal. Would the people out front (where you check bags) have been as forthcoming? Would the phone reservations?

I admit, I was seriously bothered by how easy it was and how forthcoming they were. I told my friend about it, and she was actually going to write a letter to Delta about it, but I don't know if she ever did.

Yeah, it just isn't right...i'm pretty sure they are not allowed to do that.

Our very first RCCL cruise included alittle booklet of all the registered guests AND their hometowns. Two subsequent cruises also had it, but last year it wasn't there. Never had it on NCl. Anyway- good way to find out where an empty house is ( example- Penelope Castro, Thomaston, CT) ..we were told it was a safety issue.

I think that Delta agent was out of line- we have had family emergencies and been unable to find out if a relative was a guest on a certain ship as wel as one where a young adult didn't show up on a flight- took forever to find things out!

Mike

With the exception of who she was traveling with, all the other information was public information. Since you already KNEW what plane she was on and wanted current flight information, they really did not step out of line much.

On the other hand, if you get a real by the book person, they would not even confirm that Delta had flights coming from Boston today at all. People can get rather silly over rules depending on how your question is worded.

Actually, most of information is not too secret. I remember when they started posting names on messages boards at the airport for upgrades, some people got a little testy. But, then they pointed out that they announce it anyways. So that passed in short order.

Seems like ancient history now, but back in 06 we had a couple that we are good friends with do the Mex Riv on RCCL. It was their 25th Anniv., so I wanted to order them a surprise and have thier room decorated and a cake, bottle of champagne, etc. I printed out the order form and faxed it in. Well.. I don't know WHAT made me do this, but for the date our friends were cruising I put 2007, not 2006. A short time after I faxed the order form, I got a call from RCCL saying they didn't have anyone on the 2007 sailing by the name I had given them, but they did on the 2006. She even told me the cabin number they had been assigned and the cabin number they had been upgraded to. My friend didn't even know they had been upgraded to a Junior Suite. They didn't find out until they were onboard. I never said anything because I didn't want to ruin the surprise. Anyway.. I was amazed they gave me out even that much info.

I'm sorry.. but I don't want people having a list of our names and home towns, etc. I am glad there is no list just available to anyone. What info I give here is my business, but to have a list out there is a horrible idea.

An dear friend from these message boards recently married his life partner, and I wanted to send a surprise OBC to them on their honeymoon cruise. I called Cunard and explained what I was looking to do. I only knew his last name and his partner's first name.

They gave me his booking ID, his cabin number and his husband's last name. Which I was grateful for, but I was also a little surprised it was so easy to get.

No wonder people cannot get away from the stalkers of this world.

I had a similiar experience w/NCL (twice) just recently. I called two different times, wanting to put OBC on two different cabins, that weren't mine. The CSR was very kind and helpful, giving me the resy #, room #, etc both times. :rolleyes:

Wow. I am stunned at how many people have gotten other peoples' private information! Yes, flight activity is public information - it's available on the boards all over the airport if you want to look at them. Whether I am or am not on a plane, however, or what cabin I'm in, is nobody's business unless I choose to tell them. If someone goes to an airline counter or calls the cruiseline asking for information about me, my family, and our reservations, I expect them to maintain my privacy. If I wanted someone to know what plane I was on or which cabin I was in, I would tell them. I won't even give out a friend's phone number or email address without asking them permission first!

It was not that long ago, when passenger lists were not only common, but expected. If you sailed on the SS US, France, etc, a list was provided to all passengers on whom exactly was onboard. It made introductions easier, and was something 'nice' to keep (e.g I sailed the atlantic with so-and-so).

I miss that. In these privacy obsessed days, and I am in *no* way attacking any of the above responses, I find it peculiar what people hold safe, and what people are willing to release. I for one would not care one iota if my name was distributed on a passenger manifest. Also, if the cruise line wants to confirm that I am a passenger, what cabin I am in, etc, it would not bother me at all. Another example, courtesy of my fellow canuck, is that she would not give out a friends phone number... why not? Phone numbers are published in the phone book, so is your address, etc. I have no problem with this information being shared.

What I disagree with, is the sharing of the *really* private stuff. E.g. The U.S. government demands that all airline passengers be screened against their 'watch' lists before anyone can board an airplane EVEN IF IT DOESN'T LAND IN THE U.S. How insane is that? What if the U.S. Gov't and I have a disagreement... should I be prevented from flying from Canada to Hong Kong? Even if it's a direct, non-stop flight?

The same thing with using my SSN# for many purchases (cell phone, DSL internet, etc). Why do I have to share this private information?

So, to me as an observer, people today would be upset to see their name on a passenger manifest, but freely sign up for store discount cards (Safeway, etc) give out their information to stores/businesses (e.g. SSN#) and post their birthdates on Facebook, but wouldn't want NCL confirming your onboard? How times have changed...

I agree with how people have gotten irrational when it comes to personal stuff.

Good example. Most duplicate checkbooks do not show the checking account number on the carbon. Sounds like a good idea, yes?

BUT - the piece of paper you easily give to people (the check) has the number printed right there.

Silly

I've been on several Overseas Adventure Travel trips, including a couple that involve river cruises (Danube and Nile - figured I would keep this cruise-related). OAT always sends out an advance list of all the passengers in the travel group, which is small - limited to 16 people - full names with home towns, usually sent to each traveler 2-4 weeks before the trip. It gives people the chance to anticipate who their fellow travelers will be, what they might have in common, what they might want to discuss, etc. I don't really see anything wrong with it, although I suppose if I were being paranoid I might fear my name/address falling into the wrong hands, someone who might figure out my exact address and burglarize my home knowing the exact dates when I wouldn't be home. But, to be honest, I feel the odds of that happening are so slim that I just don't worry about it.

I had a similiar experience w/NCL (twice) just recently. I called two different times, wanting to put OBC on two different cabins, that weren't mine. The CSR was very kind and helpful, giving me the resy #, room #, etc both times. :rolleyes:

VERY SCARY

You can change advanced reservation info once you have the reservation No.

I used to work for Continental airlines. It was a company rule that we could not give out information on passengers on the phone. It is not a law but company policy, that's all.

I remember the passenger list on RCCL back during my first cruise. I think my mom saved it and I saw it many years later. I was surprised at how many hometowns were cities! Now, no one really lives in cities...there are so many suburbs people live in.

I liked the old passenger lists.

It was not that long ago, when passenger lists were not only common, but expected. If you sailed on the SS US, France, etc, a list was provided to all passengers on whom exactly was onboard. It made introductions easier, and was something 'nice' to keep (e.g I sailed the atlantic with so-and-so).

I miss that. In these privacy obsessed days, and I am in *no* way attacking any of the above responses, I find it peculiar what people hold safe, and what people are willing to release. I for one would not care one iota if my name was distributed on a passenger manifest. Also, if the cruise line wants to confirm that I am a passenger, what cabin I am in, etc, it would not bother me at all. Another example, courtesy of my fellow canuck, is that she would not give out a friends phone number... why not? Phone numbers are published in the phone book, so is your address, etc. I have no problem with this information being shared.

What I disagree with, is the sharing of the *really* private stuff. E.g. The U.S. government demands that all airline passengers be screened against their 'watch' lists before anyone can board an airplane EVEN IF IT DOESN'T LAND IN THE U.S. How insane is that? What if the U.S. Gov't and I have a disagreement... should I be prevented from flying from Canada to Hong Kong? Even if it's a direct, non-stop flight?

The same thing with using my SSN# for many purchases (cell phone, DSL internet, etc). Why do I have to share this private information?

So, to me as an observer, people today would be upset to see their name on a passenger manifest, but freely sign up for store discount cards (Safeway, etc) give out their information to stores/businesses (e.g. SSN#) and post their birthdates on Facebook, but wouldn't want NCL confirming your onboard? How times have changed...

Just in response to your question of 'why not'... Not all phone numbers are listed. I have more than one friend who has an unlisted number, and cell numbers are not in the phone book either. Emails are also private. Personally, I do not want anyone having my email or my cell phone number if I haven't chosen to give it to them; why would I assume I had the right to make that choice for someone else? Also, while my landline number and address also appear in our local phone book, as I've said, I know more than one person who has chosen not to list theirs. Just because I'm okay having that information available doesn't mean I shouldn't respect their decision not to. :) It's also important to keep in mind that what you consider 'really private stuff' someone else may view in the same way you do phone numbers. As for reward programs and the other things you've listed, those are entirely different situations. If Safeway started sharing their members' information, can you imagine the reaction? The issue I'm talking about is not whom people decide to share their own information with, it's the idea that others will share their information for them.

I agree with how people have gotten irrational when it comes to personal stuff.

Good example. Most duplicate checkbooks do not show the checking account number on the carbon. Sounds like a good idea, yes?

BUT - the piece of paper you easily give to people (the check) has the number printed right there.

Silly

If a cheque doesn't have the banking information on it, it's not a cheque... it's an I.O.U., and I can't think of any business that would accept one. :p As for 'easily' giving them to people, do you hand yours out at random? The less available my banking information is to anyone other than myself or my husband, the better. We don't have carbons in our chequebook.

I think that those who take having your personal information shared lightly are probably of that fortunate group who have never had or feared the kind of issues that can come from it. All of the friends I mentioned above who have unlisted numbers are women who have been in abusive relationships. Should I really be casual about handing out their private contact information? That's just the tip of the iceberg, too. Identity theft is one of the fastest growing crimes in the world. The idea that unscrupulous people might take advantage of the information that you're away is also valid.

Even without any dangers of identity theft, stalkers, or burglars, I just feel very strongly that MY information is MINE. I simply don't think it's appropriate for someone to share something that isn't theirs to share. I feel the same way about my home; is giving someone my personal information really any different from walking into my home and handing someone my stereo? It's MINE. If I choose to share it with you, I will. If not, it's nobody else's business to do so. I'm not denying that many people are extremely free with their personal information, but as far as I'm concerned, that's up to THEM. All I'm really saying here is that I think that as freely as someone wants to share their own information, they just shouldn't share anyone else's - and definitely not mine.

Archived