Grand Denali Lodge

Lyndylu6

We are a group of 10 on the Radiance Southbound Cruisetour #7. I am wondering if anyone has taken this tour and stayed at the Grand Denali Lodge. I have just read some terrible reviews and I can't help but wonder WHY RCCL would put us up there. There was not one positive comment about anything. There were complaints about everything from the staff, restaurant, location and even the view !!!! Some guests said they felt like a prisoner up there. Very isolated with nothing to do. I am hoping someone has something good about this lodge.

I was also wondering about the Cabin Nite Dinner Theater. Exactly where is it at? How far from this lodge is it? Is there a shuttle from the Grand Denali to the dinner theater? I would appreciate any information. We are leaving in 11 days... Thanks

Lyndy

I just returned from a cruisetour on Royal Caribbean that included an overnight stay at Grande Denali. The location is quite dramatic, perched on a cliff overlooking the park and "glitter gulch," and there is a shuttle to take you down to the little town. The problem for us was that we got there after taking a three-hour train trip from Fairbanks and then seven hours on the Tundra Wilderness Tour. We were too tired to go anywhere but to the hotel restaurant, which deserves every bad review it gets. The lodge is just ok. The room was clean and quiet, and at the point I entered it, clean and quiet was plenty. Overall, this was my least favorite of all the places we stayed. Hope that helps!

My husband and I sailed Radiance and did RCI package #11 back in June of this year. We spent two nights at the Grand Denali Lodge and enjoyed our stay. (Granted we weren't there during peak, peak season, so wasn't overcrowded).

We in fact opted to upgrade our room ourselves and pay for the difference to have our own private cabin just below the lodge (on the side of the mountain.) We loved the views and I though the Alpen Glo restaurant was good (food anyway) although it is pricey. We had King Crab legs and Salmon - both were excellent!!! Also have had appitizers there for lunch (chowder) that we both loved!

There is a shuttle that runs to and from downtown (basically at the bottom of the mountain that you can see). Down there is a larger variety of restaurants to chose from including Lynx Creek Pizza, subway and the Salmon Bake. Of all of the places we stayed, I liked this one right in the middle - my least favorite was Pike's Waterfront Lodge in Fairbanks - that was like being a fish in a barrel! (and to boot in a non-smoking room the previous tenant had obviously smoked and it stunk!!!)

Go with an open mind - you may find that it isn't so bad. Folks tend to want to complain about anything these days. To be truthful going to Alaska was the important part for me. We were all out day on adventures and tired in the evenings - accomodations were the least of my concerns. Being in AK - that was the excellent part!!!

Haven't stayed at the Grande Denali but it does have a striking location. We stayed at the McKinley Chalet which is just down the mountain and then down the road a little. This is where they have the Cabin Nite. Food there was good. We saw a bus with a Grande Denali sign in the window so we assumed it was the shuttle.

I think many people are disappointed with the Denali area hotels because the are very expensive so you expect them to be like a Westin or other better hotels in the lower 48. They are more like a Holiday Inn. Nice but not what is expected for the price.

Thanks everyone for your opinion on the Grand Denali. I know it is just a small part of my "Alaska Experience" however, I am a little disappointed that for the price we are paying for the land portion of this cruisetour, the hotel accomodations IMO should be at least 4 Star quality. But, we are only there for 1 night and I am an optimist by nature and will make the best of it and have a great time.:)

Unfortunately the shuttle buses dont' run back and forth very late. 8pm may be the lastest if memory serves me correctly but from what I was told, the restaurants in Glitter Gulch will often send a shuttle for you after hours. We were told that at night the "Salmon Bake" was a local hang out (with bands) and that they would shuttle you back to the Grand Denali if it was past the normal shuttle time.

Thanks everyone for your opinion on the Grand Denali. I know it is just a small part of my "Alaska Experience" however, I am a little disappointed that for the price we are paying for the land portion of this cruisetour, the hotel accomodations IMO should be at least 4 Star quality. But, we are only there for 1 night and I am an optimist by nature and will make the best of it and have a great time.:)

Lyndylu6: Alaska hotels for the most part are not your "big city swanky hotels". What these hotels do offer is some great locations, with some exceptional views, and possibly a nice place to eat and relax. In all honesty, the hotels we stayed in for our Cruisetour #15 were fine and for the most part, way above most others that were in the area. They were all clean and well kept.

We stayed at the Grand Denali Lodge in June and thought the location and the hotel were fine. The AlpenGlow Restaurant was pricey, but the food was very good. We had a very lovely dinner there. You'll be so tired after your TWT that you'll be glad to just flop at the hotel, eat dinner, and then go to bed! BTW, the staff at this hotel were very nice.

just got back from Alaska with Celebrity. We stayed two nites in the denali grande hotel. Rooms were clean and quiet but I felt the restuarant was only ok. Think of a smaller hotel room with queen beds, clean showers and an excellent view, especially when the sun comes out

Archived