Carry on wine policy

patrinka

What is the policy for taking wine on board the Windsurf in Europe?

ALCOHOL ON BOARD POLICY

For voyages of 7 or fewer days guests may bring 2 bottles of wine or champagne per stateroom or suite for their enjoyment on board. For voyages of 8 or more days, guests may bring 3 bottles per stateroom or suite. All additional alcohol, including those bottles purchased at ports of call along the cruise route, will be kept by the ship’s purser and delivered to your room the last evening of the voyage. Guests may consume the outside beverages in the dining room, but a small corkage fee will be applied to the guest's onboard account.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ALCOHOL ON BOARD POLICY

For voyages of 7 or fewer days guests may bring 2 bottles of wine or champagne per stateroom or suite for their enjoyment on board. For voyages of 8 or more days, guests may bring 3 bottles per stateroom or suite. All additional alcohol, including those bottles purchased at ports of call along the cruise route, will be kept by the ship’s purser and delivered to your room the last evening of the voyage. Guests may consume the outside beverages in the dining room, but a small corkage fee will be applied to the guest's onboard account.

In my experience, this policy is only intermittently and haphazardly enforced. On our last WS cruise, we were allowed to bring two bottles of wine per person on board each time we returned to the ship.

In my experience, this policy is only intermittently and haphazardly enforced. On our last WS cruise, we were allowed to bring two bottles of wine per person on board each time we returned to the ship.

You're probably correct. I just go by policy so there's never a hassle. Actually find WS onboard wine prices pretty reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Does anyone know what they charge to uncork a bottle?

They will in a dining room, but if you open the bottle yourself and then just settle into a quiet place on deck with the bottle not obvious (inside a tote bag, etc.) no one will say anything. Open consumption at a table of 10 people would probably get a different result.

but if you open the bottle yourself and then just settle into a quiet place on deck with the bottle not obvious (inside a tote bag, etc.) no one will say anything.

You must be kidding! :eek:

Sorry, but that's not the style of cruise, I'd like to travel with ... :mad:

Edited by gcmv

I don't think that sneaking wine is prevalent. Corkage fees are standard in the hospitality industry. And onboard wine prices very reasonable so unless its a really special bottle, why even bother? They are also very accomodating and will keep open bottles for the next night. And move them from one restaurant to another. Gcmv please cruise with us!

@sb44: No problem; if you're onboard Star Breeze at September 12th, we will be joining you ... ;)

Lots of nice Italian wines to buy on Sicily or at Sorrent - the tote bag is only needed to transport them to the ship. :D

Happy cruising!

You must be kidding! :eek:

Sorry, but that's not the style of cruise, I'd like to travel with ... :mad:

@sb44: No problem; if you're onboard Star Breeze at September 12th, we will be joining you ... ;)

Lots of nice Italian wines to buy on Sicily or at Sorrent - the tote bag is only needed to transport them to the ship. :D

Happy cruising!

Let me start over. The tote bag was a red herring.

Sometimes you just want to kick back on deck (not in the dining room!!) in a quiet spot and drink that same bottle you'd consume in your cabin with no charge. Or maybe just pour a glass in the room and take it up. We're not talking about a spot where WS customarily serves beverages, just a secluded spot on deck.

No one has ever even glanced at us, if someone did say something I'd gladly pay the corkage. Should I be flagging someone down or going to the bar (which may not even be open) to pay the fee? I never really thought about it.

@milepig: I'm relieved to hear that! ;)

A nice glass of wine, drank at a cosy, intimate place on deck (watching the sun go down) is one of the best things on a cruise - can hardly wait to start mid September ... :)

We were given a bottle of champagne on our spain cruise. Drank it on two lounge chairs side of ship. Found a newly wed couple and shared with them. Glorious day!

I don't think that sneaking wine is prevalent. Corkage fees are standard in the hospitality industry. And onboard wine prices very reasonable so unless its a really special bottle, why even bother? They are also very accomodating and will keep open bottles for the next night. And move them from one restaurant to another. Gcmv please cruise with us!

The reason to bother is that while the WS list is indeed perfectly fine and moderately priced, it is very generic. They buy wine by the thousands of bottles and in talking one of the bar managers I was told that they look for wines that are readily obtainable in the ports where they stock up.

That's fine, but the issue is that WS goes to many ports where there are wonderful local wines that they don't have on board. Santorini, for one example, has amazing white wines. Nothing better than having a bottle of the local wine the afternoon you bought it on shore!

The last few itins the beverage package was included, but before then we were perfectly happy with the wine list in the dining rooms, but it is still nice to have something local that you picked out yourself, often at the vineyard you've just toured.

Yes. I agree about the wonderful wines along the way. We were fortunate enough to go on one of the James Beard trips through Spain this year and had fabulous wine both on and off the ship. My comments were more directed that WS doesn't have an expensive wine list and many of the wines on board available by the bottle are wines we would drink at home so unless there is something exceptional we just drink what is available. On the rare occasion we bring wine to the ship we generally bring it to the dining room at dinner. If we drink during the day its rum or beer. After dinner white Russians. Yum. Can't wait for September.

Hello I'm sailing on Star Breeze at the end of Sept, boarding in Venice on a Friday and spending Friday night and all day Saturday in Venice. I'd like to purchase wine in Venice but in order to drink it on the ship, do we need to purchase it before we board for the first time? I'd rather not be hauling my luggage through Venice in search of a wine shop. I think there's an enotecca near San Basilio, and i'd rather find it without luggage.

Thanks!

Hello I'm sailing on Star Breeze at the end of Sept, boarding in Venice on a Friday and spending Friday night and all day Saturday in Venice. I'd like to purchase wine in Venice but in order to drink it on the ship, do we need to purchase it before we board for the first time? I'd rather not be hauling my luggage through Venice in search of a wine shop. I think there's an enotecca near San Basilio, and i'd rather find it without luggage.

Thanks!

WS reps are almost always at the port a fair bit before boarding commences, and they'll take your bags from you then. After that you're free to remain on short right up until boarding ends. There's also nothing to stop you from getting back off if you want to go ahead and complete checkin before going back out. The only limitation is the 2 bottle rule, which may or may not be enforced.

Thanks for the info. In reading about wine in Venice I've come across vino sfuso which is local "loose wine" sold by filling up your own bottle, plastic or glass. Do you think I will have an issue bringing this type of wine on the ship? There seems to be an excellent shop near the port, Vinaria Nave de Oro.

Thanks for the info. In reading about wine in Venice I've come across vino sfuso which is local "loose wine" sold by filling up your own bottle, plastic or glass. Do you think I will have an issue bringing this type of wine on the ship? There seems to be an excellent shop near the port, Vinaria Nave de Oro.

This one stumps me. I'd expect some questions if I tried to carry on an unlabled and unsealed jug of "mystery liquid", but I've never tried.

This one stumps me. I'd expect some questions if I tried to carry on an unlabled and unsealed jug of "mystery liquid", but I've never tried.

Well, it's not exactly the TSA so who knows? I'd rather not myself simply because anything could be added to it. But it's interesting to ponder.

Are we talking lots of money? I think you should try it and let us know what happens. :D