New to Regent

SandyKnits

We just booked an 11 night Mariner Caribbean cruise for November. Do people actually get very dressed up on this type of sailing? We are long time Celebrity (always book Aqua Class) and Oceania cruisers and haven't dealt with a "formal" night in years. Does my husband need to bring a suit or does a sport coat suffice?

Looking forward to our first RSSC cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With an 11 night cruise, there will not be a formal night.

From their website:

Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime onboard or ashore, and consists of resort-style outfits. Casual wear, including shorts and jeans, is not appropriate after 6:00 pm, with the exception of the final evening of the cruise. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind on the last night of every voyage we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual.

The recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress includes skirt, or slacks with blouse or sweater, pant suit or dress for ladies; slacks and collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes are not to be worn at dinner. Ties are not required. On sailings of 16 nights or more, Formal and Semi-Formal attire is optional on two evenings. On the two Formal Optional evenings, guests are welcome to dress as per the Elegant Casual dress code or opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with tie for gentlemen.

On the other hand, men tend to wear a sports coat in the specialty restaurants - especially on the Explorer. While it is not required, men like to know what other men will be wearing. Men from some European countries wear a suit and tie (definitely not required or necessary). Apparently the old fashioned dress code still is alive and well in the U.K.

On the other hand, men tend to wear a sports coat in the specialty restaurants - especially on the Explorer. While it is not required, men like to know what other men will be wearing. Men from some European countries wear a suit and tie (definitely not required or necessary). Apparently the old fashioned dress code still is alive and well in the U.K.

Some men like to know what other men are wearing. Many men don't give a fig, and have cruised proudly on Regent wearing a nice shirt and a pair of Dockers. Yes, British men are welcome to wear the suit or the sports coat. But there is no subtle coercion to do so.

Some men like to know what other men are wearing. Many men don't give a fig, and have cruised proudly on Regent wearing a nice shirt and a pair of Dockers. Yes, British men are welcome to wear the suit or the sports coat. But there is no subtle coercion to do so.

Do not disagree that some men don't care about how others are dressed. Also agree that sports coats, suits and ties are not required and there is no subtle coercion to wear them. However, some men might feel uncomfortable if they went to P7, for instance, and 40-50% of the men were wearing sports coats. Men and women can do what they like but, IMO, it is fair to let them know that it is not only okay to dress above the "standard" but that many people do.

Old fashioned dress code?? A wee cultural jab?? If the fashion is alive and well, then how is it old fashioned? Just asking....

I am willing to wear a sport coat if required, but much prefer not to unless it is cold.

I saw over on the River Cruising board a discussion about whether shorts and tee shirts were OK on Viking for dinner. The overwhelming opinion was yes. "It is your vacation, you get to do what you want" and similar statements were common. That is close to over the line for me.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

Old fashioned dress code?? A wee cultural jab?? If the fashion is alive and well, then how is it old fashioned? Just asking....

Not making a cultural jab - just stating that many in the U.S. (where 80% of Regent customers are from) feel that the "suit and tie" look for business wear is a bit old fashioned (at least on the west coast). When we are in England, we dress according to their dress standards - not ours. It feels a bit strange to wear a dress (not fancy) to dinner in a home but when in Rome............... (or in this case, England).

I find the dress code on Regent to be the most comfortable for us (compared to Silversea and other luxury cruise lines). While my DH is not comfortable wearing a polo shirt to dinner (could be his British upbringing), he is fine with a long sleeved shirt and slacks (and does add a jacket on some nights which is 100% his choice).

Some comments were made recently about not having a "formal night" on the Maiden Voyage. It seems that the majority of Regent passengers prefer not having formal nights. The black tie christening event was likely due to the presence of Her Serene Highness Princess Charlene and Prince Albert II.

Just got off the Mariner and my husband was VERY quick to point out to me how few men were wearing sports coats (even in the specialty restaurants). Many in just polo shirts and khaki's.

There were a number of us though who came in late from an excursion in one port with a sail away time of 11pm and went to grab a drink at one of the bars before heading to our cabins to change and were all quickly told that after 6pm there was a dress code. After changing, we saw MANY people with relaxed dress (many coming in from port and not going directly to their cabins either).

Although I may take a sport coat, I rarely wear a sport coat. I actually took two on my last cruise, a 12-night on Navigator, but that was mostly because my in-laws were traveling with us and we had a birthday and anniversary celebration during the cruise, so I thought I'd present at least a 'moderately' acceptable husband look for a few nights.

I wore each one one night, and only in specialty restaurants. We dined with the CD and his wife several nights, and it was light slacks and Tommy Bahama then. Come to think of it, it was slacks and TB most nights! :p

Just got off the Mariner and my husband was VERY quick to point out to me how few men were wearing sports coats (even in the specialty restaurants). Many in just polo shirts and khaki's.

There were a number of us though who came in late from an excursion in one port with a sail away time of 11pm and went to grab a drink at one of the bars before heading to our cabins to change and were all quickly told that after 6pm there was a dress code. After changing, we saw MANY people with relaxed dress (many coming in from port and not going directly to their cabins either).

Assume that this was an Alaska cruise - one of the least formal sailings (along with the Caribbean). In my experience, other itineraries would have passengers dressing up a bit more. However, if a excursion returns back to the ship late, passengers are encouraged to go directly to CR to make sure they get there before it closes.

Hope that you enjoyed your cruise.

Thanks for all the discussions and suggestions on the wardrobe front [emoji106].

My next question is about the bathroom. We are booked in a suite that has a tub, which I didn't realize at the time of booking. We would much prefer a stall shower. Unfortunately, none are available now in our category, F, but some are in the next level up--Concierge E. Any thoughts on how worthwhile it would be to upgrade? E would also include a hotel room pre-cruise.

I did not have a suite with a tub so I might not be the best person to respond (I did like the stall shower) but personally, I do not think it is worth the upgraded cost. You can get a pre cruise hotel for much less than the per person rate upcharge for concierge. And the spare extra amenities are not worth it. I also noticed on Mariner that many of the concierge rooms were right under the pool deck. We were in a Concierge suite under the entrance to La Veranda and did hear rolling carts at times, but we were not directly under chairs or other noisy items.

I'm not sure if both of you are discussing the Mariner or not, however, my response is only about the Mariner. If Sandyknits is referring to the Explorer, let us know and one of us will respond.

On the Mariner, all suite sizes are the same until you get to PH level. The ship was built with shower in the bathtub that many of us felt was difficult to get into and out of (in fact, some felt it was dangerous). So, Regent converted a lot/most/many(?) to shower suites which most of us prefer. The shower is large and, IMO, 100% better than the bathtub. Getting a shower suite on the Mariner can be difficult. You may want to waitlist one of them.

In general, avoid suites under the pool deck or dining venues - there will always be noise (on any ship - not only on Regent).

I will give the benefit of the doubt and assume that you were not intentionally trying to be rude by stereotyping all those from the UK as “old fashioned” in their choice of clothing

Maybe it would be better to convey the more positive view:

“Unlike some from other parts of the world, Europeans appreciate the importance of dressing well, both for their own self-esteem and as a courtesy to others. In particular most European gentlemen travelling on Regent ships comprehend the true meaning of Elegant Casual and realise that slacks and collared shirt was never intended to include a soft collared polo-shirt with chinos or dockers”

Before anyone reacts or hits the red triangle, this is offered with the best of humour :)

Thanks for all the discussions and suggestions on the wardrobe front [emoji106].

My next question is about the bathroom. We are booked in a suite that has a tub, which I didn't realize at the time of booking. We would much prefer a stall shower. Unfortunately, none are available now in our category, F, but some are in the next level up--Concierge E. Any thoughts on how worthwhile it would be to upgrade? E would also include a hotel room pre-cruise.

On Mariner we would always opt for a 'shower only' suite rather than those with a shower/tub combo; IMO the latter are not good for either showering or bathing

Yes, I was referring only to the Mariner. We decided to upgrade and got one of the last ones with a shower. We took a credit for the hotel and will book one ourselves for pre-cruise.

I couldn't find a roll call for our sailing date--November 4, 2016. If anyone reading this is on our cruise, let me know.

SandyKnits: Why not start a roll call yourself? Easy-peasy.

I hope you will love your first Regent experience as much as we did (a dozen or so years ago). The Mariner is a wonderful ship. Btw, I agree that your husband won't need a jacket if he'd rather not. My husband tends to wear one for most dinners because we find the ship cold most of the time. If you're someone who gets cold easily, be sure to bring a wrap of some sort for yourself.

Also, I have to say that I'd only want a shower suite on Mariner. The showers are great, and we aren't tub people all. In fact, my elderly husband can no longer manage tubs. The configuration you have might not bother you at all (hopefully not), but my vote would be different from the other poster who weighed in on this subject. If I could possibly afford it, I would definitely upgrade to the category that had that nice large shower (with best "wand" I've ever experienced). We've never had any wish for a concierge, and I agree that price-wise one does better finding a hotel on one's own. Still, for the shower alone I'd suggest upgrading if at all possible (assuming you'd not miss having a tub).

Happy sails!

I love all the tub/shower debates. For me, soaking in a tub is relaxing but not a way to get clean. I always feel as if I need a shower after I take a bath. :p

I figure I take in the neighborhood of 400 showers a year to maybe 2 baths. Even when I had a nice oversized jetted tub with a fireplace next to it, I might have taken 3 baths a year, and those usually after returning from a long day of skiing.

On board, a shower is all I need.

Greetings from South Beach, UUNetBill. I agree with you about baths. When we bought our condo, I decided to flush the jets in the Jacuzzi with Lysol because the tub hadn't been used in a while. There were many jets. What came out of them was ghastly.We now have only a shower there, As far as baths are concerned, people don't wash and rinse dishes in the same water. How so bodies?

Some people seem unhappy the Explorer PHs have only showers. We like it that way. Our last TA was on Oceania's Riviera in 2014. We were in a PH with a tub and shower, and only used the shower. Last year, we took Insignia through the Canal, also in a PH, with only a tub/shower combo. Somehow we modified our ablution methods and survived them all.

We are looking forward to our TA on Explorer in March. We hope Funchal will have recovered from the fires. What a terrible thing for the people living there.

Mary

Edited by warburg

I'm not sure what a jacuzzi tub's filth has to do with a regular bathtub. And yes, I always take a short shower after taking a bath. The Japanese have the best idea, however; they soap themselves clean before and after getting into the bath!

Edited by JPR

Greetings from South Beach, UUNetBill. I agree with you about baths. When we bought our condo, I decided to flush the jets in the Jacuzzi with Lysol because the tub hadn't been used in a while. There were many jets. What came out of them was ghastly.We now have only a shower there, As far as baths are concerned, people don't wash and rinse dishes in the same water. How so bodies?

Some people seem unhappy the Explorer PHs have only showers. We like it that way. Our last TA was on Oceania's Riviera in 2014. We were in a PH with a tub and shower, and only used the shower. Last year, we took Insignia through the Canal, also in a PH, with only a tub/shower combo. Somehow we modified our ablution methods and survived them all.

We are looking forward to our TA on Explorer in March. We hope Funchal will have recovered from the fires. What a terrible thing for the people living there.

Mary

I understand the issues with Jacuzzi's that haven't been used in a while (although we rarely use the Jacuzzi tub in our master bathroom, I periodically fill it with water and bubble bath to clean it out.) In a way this does pertain to Regent ships. On the Voyager there are baths and showers in most (if not all) suites. I once turned the water on in the tub and rusty water came out -- it apparently had not been used in a long time.

If the Mariner passengers are any indication, I would estimate that 75% of passengers prefer shower-only suites (with nice, large showers as they have on the Mariner and Explorer). On the other hand, my DH likes a bath or two while on the ship but has not complained when there hasn't been one.