Madeira public bus up to the Botanical Gardens

Hi we are on a cruise in October, can anyone help me with getting a bus up to the Botanical gardens from near the port. We have done the cable car & basket run before but did not have time to do the gardens at the top.

I far as I can see we need the bus no 31, but hubby found a no 12 I think it was. Which is the quickest way up. Any any idea of the cost. We like to do our own thing when we are in port.

Was thinking about the on hop bus, but we do not get there till mid day & leave at 3pm the next, we are travelling with my best friend & her hubby, this will be the first time she has been abroad somewhere warm, not sure how she will cope with the heat & sitting on a bus for 2 hours or so might not be good for her. Plus this is our first stop, travelling from southampton..

Thank you for any suggestions. :-)

• 5 weeks later...

You can take a second cable car - connection at Monte where you started the sled run from. That will bring you over to the Botanical Garden at the top of the garden. Then walk down through the gardens and leave by the main gate - bus stops there but there are usually also taxis waiting to bring you back to town or the ship.