P and o standards slipping?

sapphire4

currently on the Britannia and disappointed to find no twinning tea in the cabin only PGTips! Awful

French coconut biscuits. Our usual wine been removed from the room service menu and the current bottles more expensive. The first night Sindhu offer is a bottle of wine for the early bird meal instead of the third off the meal . To top it all off our free glass of champagne missing for the sail away party. Seems to be a lot of cost cutting!

currently on the Britannia and disappointed to find no twinning tea in the cabin only PGTips! Awful

French coconut biscuits. Our usual wine been removed from the room service menu and the current bottles more expensive. The first night Sindhu offer is a bottle of wine for the early bird meal instead of the third off the meal . To top it all off our free glass of champagne missing for the sail away party. Seems to be a lot of cost cutting!

The bottle of wine in Sindhu has been in place for some time. Your sail away champagne is obtained by handing over the voucher which is in your cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"Are P&O standards Slipping"....probably... but I don't think to such an extent that they are totally unacceptable.

When you work out price per night it still offers excellent value especially if you compare what you can pay in hotels per night.

One has to ask oneself...Can I live with "the cutbacks" and pay a good value price per night OR would I rather pay considerably more per night and have the same standards...unfortunately it doesn't work both ways. If one prefers the latter then maybe it would be better to cruise with a more "upmarket" cruise line and pay for the standards that you require.

It may well be cost cutting but that doesn't necessarily mean falling standards. All businesses look to get a better deal on their contracts. A lot of what you mention is down to personal taste. I don't have a problem with PG Tips for everyday tea but must say that I much prefer Twinings Early Grey to PG Tips Earl Grey. I wouldn't have thought the cabin biscuits could get much worse - long gone are the days of the Priory Crumble :loudcry:. Again, wine is down to personal taste. Hopefully you have now got your Champagne Voucher - it can of course be used at any sailaway.

What we all have to remember is that pax constantly want a better or cheap deal on their cruise - something has to give.

After my last cruise, just got back on Saturday from Britannia. I found there are 2 types of travellers the moaners and the people who just get on and enjoy. The moaners are tedious. With whats going on in the world I feel your pain with not having the correct tea in your cabin...............

After my last cruise, just got back on Saturday from Britannia. I found there are 2 types of travellers the moaners and the people who just get on and enjoy. The moaners are tedious. With whats going on in the world I feel your pain with not having the correct tea in your cabin...............

Well said such a hardship having to put up with PG Tips.

I think in some respects, standards are slipping a little because of inevitable cost cutting but they are still high in my opinion. Changing a brand of tea bags from one mass market blend to another that retails at about the same price is not evidence of this. If Tesco had been given the contract to supply from their cheapest everyday brand, I would agree but PG and Twinings are of similar quality. OK, they may not be to everybody's taste, but that is just a matter of individual taste and not of quality. Typhoo, Tetleys and Yorkshire would also meet with disapproval from some and approval from others but they are of similar quality but blended differently from different teas. They also retail at a similar price.

I agree with previous posters that moaners are tedious. One way of raising standards would be to ignore them.

If anyone ever bothers to read any of the threads on other cruise lines, including the six star ones like Seabourn or Silverseas, they will find the same moans I'm afraid.

My opinion, and that of my Husband, is that P&O actually do a pretty good job.

We are people who have a 'glass half full' look on life, rather than a 'glass half empty' one. You get back what you put out. Put out crap and that's exactly what you'll get back. People should try to enjoy life more, rather than concentrating on what they can find wrong with it.

Happy Cruising!! 😄

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

I am not sure that this tea change is a cost cutting measure nor is it necessarily a falling standard. Tea is very subjective, I have no problem with regular PG tea but as a camomile drinker I was very disappointed with PG's camomile but their peppermint tea is in my opinion better than Tetley's. On my next cruise I will take my own camomile tea bags. They weigh next to nothing and don't take up a lot of room. I don't think that P&O can win whatever tea they use as we each have our own taste preferences.

There is a 3rd type - those with more money than sense paying more than £200ppn for a product that is 'propped up' by the parent company.

Edited by tjwa

Strewth what next? no more choccies on your bed at turn down?:(:loudcry:

Have P&O really got rid of the complimentary glass of 'quality champagne' given to return guests?

Ye Gods, the numbers will be down at ye olde Great British Sailaway, many turn up just to claim their complimentary drinkie.!!!

I am not sure that this tea change is a cost cutting measure nor is it necessarily a falling standard. Tea is very subjective, I have no problem with regular PG tea but as a camomile drinker I was very disappointed with PG's camomile but their peppermint tea is in my opinion better than Tetley's. On my next cruise I will take my own camomile tea bags. They weigh next to nothing and don't take up a lot of room. I don't think that P&O can win whatever tea they use as we each have our own taste preferences.

I found out last night from Look North that PG tips is the number one brand in the UK and Yorkshire Tea has just leapfrogged Tetley into 2nd. If correct then P&O can hardly be accused of reducing standards, but they may have reduced costs if PG have quoted lower than Twinings.

We just got off Britannia on Monday. It was a 2-nighter (just to keep us going until next month) but we were provided with one sachet of coffee each on the first morning and one sachet between us on the second final) morning! Just as well we were getting off and drove 20 minutes home for a decent coffee. For £350 pppn, one sachet of coffee between two is not acceptable.

Strewth what next? no more choccies on your bed at turn down?:(:loudcry:

Have P&O really got rid of the complimentary glass of 'quality champagne' given to return guests?

Ye Gods, the numbers will be down at ye olde Great British Sailaway, many turn up just to claim their complimentary drinkie.!!!

I know it take a long time for the pigeon to get down under but the sail away fizz is still available. You still get your sheet of paper in the cabin only on this occasion they were delayed being put in the cabins. No panic. And there is still a chocolate on the bed every night.

You can rest easy now.

:). :).

When you asked the steward for extra sachets....I know one shouldn't have to ask...did he refuse?

We had ordered room service breakfast with coffee, so we just waited until that arrived and we had our caffeine fix that way. On the second morning, as we were disembarking there was not need to bother the steward. I just wondered if it was an oversight on his behalf, or if by reducing coffee sachets in the cabin, passengers are manipulated into visiting Costa (extra cost). Would like to know if anyone else has noticed reduced 'provisions' in the cabin.

Dai - sorry to say no chocolates on Saturday night on Britannia. Maybe it was the steward just being a little overworked?

Exactly Janny444 the thing is if they had asked (the steward would probably have given him as many as he wanted and apologised for the error of only leaving one) they wouldnt have anything to complain about.

To slightly mis-quote Disraeli - " I don't complain and I don't explain"

I know it take a long time for the pigeon to get down under but the sail away fizz is still available. You still get your sheet of paper in the cabin only on this occasion they were delayed being put in the cabins. No panic. And there is still a chocolate on the bed every night.

You can rest easy now.

:). :).

My wife normally saves all the choccies for the grandchildren, so I have not had any for a few years. However from our last cruise one must have escaped and I found it in the case bottom as I was unpacking, it was awful ( well not really awful Dai, but certainly poorer quality than I remember), I fear we might be accused of child cruelty if we continue to force our grandchildren to eat them!!

My wife normally saves all the choccies for the grandchildren, so I have not had any for a few years. However from our last cruise one must have escaped and I found it in the case bottom as I was unpacking, it was awful ( well not really awful Dai, but certainly poorer quality than I remember), I fear we might be accused of child cruelty if we continue to force our grandchildren to eat them!!

But how long had it been there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app