LGA -> Manhattan public transport question

beason641

So, this is less a "how do I" question and more of an NYC public transport etiquette question...

My husband and I are flying into LGA on 5/26 (because we had no other choice of airports due to Reasons Out Of Our Control) and sailing out of MCT on 5/27, staying near Times Square overnight.

Because of all the traffic issues, we're planning on doing the Q70 -> E -> Times Square trip instead of getting a cab or an Uber. Seems like it's cheaper AND faster. My question is, how light do we need to pack to make this not miserable for ourselves and those around us?

We've done carry-on rollers and backpacks for our past two cruises, but we have free checked bags this go-round and were hoping to bring a single bigger bag instead this year, before we decided to go the public transport route. We don't want to be dicks, so what do you recommend?

Well, for public transport it really depends on what time you're arriving, because May 26th is a weekday. If people start staring at you with murder in their eyes, do not ignore this. My suggestion: bite the bullet and arrange a car service (I like Dial 7) for a flat-rate trip from LGA to your hotel. Because of the ongoing construction at LGA, a taxi could be an expensive nightmare, and I have no idea what Uber will be charging that day (nor does Uber, which is a curious thing about it). If you do the public transportation thing, there is a ramp at what I presume is your final stop on the E train (42nd & 8th Avenue; if you're going further north to 50th, you are going to have to hump your luggage up several flights of stairs), but it's tricky to find if you don't know the platform layout. And then, of course, you have the nightmare of getting your luggage through the throngs on 42nd Street to Times Square (think Main Street at Disneyworld on steroids). Take one of the other crosstown streets instead.

Our hotel is at 45th and 8th (or is it 8th and 45th? My city isn't set up as neatly as Manhattan, lol), so I think I can avoid Times Square proper. We get in at about 2pm, so we should be avoiding the rush hour, unless there are delays.

Our hotel is at 45th and 8th (or is it 8th and 45th? My city isn't set up as neatly as Manhattan, lol), so I think I can avoid Times Square proper. We get in at about 2pm, so we should be avoiding the rush hour, unless there are delays.

I'd seriously consider splurging on the airporter bus for $15/pp or $28/pp round trip. https://www.nycairporter.com/ourservices/lga-to-manhattan/ By the time you collect your luggage and get yourselves to the E train, it's likely to be at least 3 pm. That means when you get to Manhattan the trains could be crowded on a Friday afternoon. The airporter drops off on 42nd St between 8th & 9th, which is about 4 blocks from your hotel (about the same as the subway). You can board at any LGA terminal except terminal A. As someone said your luggage goes under the bus.

I'd seriously consider splurging on the airporter bus for $15/pp or $28/pp round trip. https://www.nycairporter.com/ourservices/lga-to-manhattan/ By the time you collect your luggage and get yourselves to the E train, it's likely to be at least 3 pm. That means when you get to Manhattan the trains could be crowded on a Friday afternoon. The airporter drops off on 42nd St between 8th & 9th, which is about 4 blocks from your hotel (about the same as the subway). You can board at any LGA terminal except terminal A. As someone said your luggage goes under the bus.

Oh, excellent. Thanks for the link!

For simplicity with non carry-on sized luggage, airporter bus, taxi & car services are your best options at LGA, especially on a weekday. It's fine to take & travel with larger luggage on wheels using the subway & rails, providing that you can get onboard and off-peak hours, usually not a problem - just beware that it might be standing room only. Q70 bus ride is SBS only, prepaid & get a receipt inside LGA's automatic kiosk, with a Metrocard, before going outside for the line. It is a quick ride to either Woodside or Jackson Heights (for the express E subway ... trip time to W. 50th & 8th Ave stop is under 30 minutes)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7cda0fqe0s5vrz4/IMG_20140821_105102.jpg?dl=0

Providing that MTA services are running smooth & normal, a power outage this morning's rush hour as result in major service disruptions, changes & delays on the B/M,A,C,D,E,F,J,N,Q & R lines across a good part of NYC. We as commuters always have plan B & C, just in case in trying to get to where we needed to be on time - it's not fun. Most of the subway stations are "accessible" with elevators & escalators, except that it's a given that 20% of them are out of service (aside from scheduled maintenance & off-line) on average - thus, one should be prepared for doing stairs. Some of the escalators at busy stations are "reversed" based on the commuting flow for AM and PM rush.

Just FYI, E line's W. 50th Street & 8th Ave has elevator for accessible pax only on the southbound side (heading downtown/coming from Queens toward Brooklyn) and it is on the lower bi-level station. Thus, if the elevator and/or escalators are out, be prepared to climb with luggage.

LGA's flight ops are most prone to delays among the 3 area airports, averaging -35 plus minutes this morning due to weather. Refer to LGA's 411 that 138east/Carol started last year for more FAQ.

http://laguardiaairport.com/traveladvisories/

Enjoy your cruise & welcome to the Big Apple.

I'd seriously consider splurging on the airporter bus for $15/pp or $28/pp round trip. https://www.nycairporter.com/ourservices/lga-to-manhattan/.

The bus is still affected by the traffic and it also depends on the type of bus you are using. They use the smaller hotel style ones with luggage in the rear as well as larger buses with storage underneath. Don't expect to be on any schedule even the one posted. Once the buses hit delays the scheudle is out the window from my 2x experience. The entire fare collection process is lengthy as well and the bus won't move until all fares are collected and argued about.

Would love to hear your experience.

Just a FYI, rush hour on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend starts around noon. We'll be on your cruise, but just coming in 10 miles away in NJ.

The bus is still affected by the traffic and it also depends on the type of bus you are using. They use the smaller hotel style ones with luggage in the rear as well as larger buses with storage underneath. Don't expect to be on any schedule even the one posted. Once the buses hit delays the scheudle is out the window from my 2x experience. The entire fare collection process is lengthy as well and the bus won't move until all fares are collected and argued about.

Would love to hear your experience.

But it's still more comfortable than the subway carrying cruise luggage

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 months later...

I was just looking at the airporter website.

So everyone thinks this is a good option for transport from Laguardia??

We are staying at The Roosevelt. I believe it's on 45th.

The last time we came to New York we took a cab but if this is cheaper and easy then I may go ahead and schedule this.

Reviews???

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was just looking at the airporter website ... for transport from Laguardia??

We are staying at The Roosevelt ... we took a cab but if this is cheaper and easy then I may go ahead and schedule this ... Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It depends, work for some but not for others - date/day of week/arrival time at LGA - and, # of luggage (assumed that you are fine pulling them for several city blocks, to save $20 to $25 if there's 2 of you. Hotel is on E. 45th Street near Park Avenue - haven't been there in ages, about 10 minutes walk from the Grand Central bus stop after being dropped off.

Car service will be on a flat rate (Dial 7 or Carmel, which we used often) about $50 to $55 with toll & tipping, a possible rush-hour surcharge (true also for yellow taxi on metered fare & Uber with surge pricing) - but you get dropped off directly in front of the hotel's un/loading zone. From LGA, you likely take a 5 minute free shuttle to the pickup lot.

Business traveler with a 22" rollerboard & a personal/cabin or laptop bag would easily do the airporter bus - otherwise ... cheaper isn't necessary easier as you need to do the hard labor.

I would like to get some info for how to get to the Manhattan cruise port from the airport by using public transportation...

Question - are you flying in (HOU-LGA)on morning of embarkation - ship/date, # of travelers (assumed it's carry-on & cabin luggage as those are best for using the bus & subway train)

MTA (Transit Authority) has a free mobile App to help plan & map your trip/transfer, download & install to use ahead. Q70-SBS is WiFi equipped (free) and all subway station concourses are now WiFi enabled (no signals/services while moving inside subway cars, obviously)

mking8288 -Thank you for the quick reply :) We are flying from Houston to LGA on 10/13 .. arriving very late & thinking of staying a few hours at the airport before heading out to the port because we'll have alot of time to get there.. We're going on Norwegian Gem on 10/14 with just the two of us, traveling light with 1 checked bag & a couple of backpacks .. Can you help me with details on how to load the apps ?? Thank you very much!! Christina

... flying from Houston to LGA on 10/13 .. arriving very late & thinking of staying a few hours at the airport before heading out to the port because we'll have alot of time ... going on Norwegian Gem on 10/14 with just the two of us, traveling light with 1 checked bag & a couple of backpacks ..

Christina, here's the URL link - for both iOS & Android, bookmark it on your smartphone's browser

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/OnTheGo.htm

Am I correct that your flight will come in late Friday night & 2 of you plan to hangout / try to get some rest at LGA overnight, then, slowly make your way over to MCT ... most likely, ship will be at Pier 88. We will get to that later ?

It might not be such a wise idea, airport is closed for flights between midnight & 6 AM, although the early birds start showing up around 4 AM - not sure if security & maintenance will try to clear everyone out, or leave you alone. Which airline, any chance of flying AA as HOU would be one of the their key gateway into NY area - planes will come to "Central Terminal or Terminal B"

Hotel prices aren't bargains even for mid Sept - maybe, consider doing a Priceline bid & get a 3 stars ... others here can do a lookup to see what's available. Worst thing to do is to be tired when boarding the ship & worn out, we sailed the Gem twice & loved it, you will find a recent review from our Aprl-May run this year, different port & plenty of goodies to read & learn.

To be continued - need to run off for a short whle & come back later, plenty of local expertise here from everyone to help you out.

... traveling light with 1 checked bag & a couple of backpacks ...

Here's a link to another recent thread, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2526352

post answered with details about LGA transfer to Q70-SBS bus (photos added in link) and then to the subway into Manhattan to the MCT on the morning of 10/14 (Saturday) the #7 subway line at either the Roosevelt Ave & 74th Street station or Woodside / 61st Ave will take you direct - without further transfer toward Hudson Yard ... get off at Times Square / 8th Avenue & 42nd. Street - then you will walk west toward 12th Avenue - then north to MCT, street entrance on W. 48th Street, across the wide Avenue with traffic lights.

It will look like this - from the (yellow) Taxi Stand across the Avenue - https://www.dropbox.com/s/v79dqgpn4qxu2w8/IMAG0265.jpg?dl=0

Take the giant elevators or escalators up 1 level for check-in, porters are there & start taking luggage as early as 7:30 to 8 AM, hold on to your backpacks with important items.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tx0vquaqnz857cl/SDC10299.JPG?dl=0

Security usually doesn't start until 9 to 9:30 AM - get thru & complete check-in. General boarding usually around 11:30 - be sure to get a zone/lettered card from the pier agent for boarding purposes as they will be called out/announced in groups.

Or, take the E subway line, only at 74th & Roosevelt Ave (below ground vs. #7 line, elevated above ground) with only a few stops, get off at (West) 50th Street & 8th Avenue, up to street level - you are in the north sector of famous Times Square, just west of Broadway - head west toward the Hudson River ... 4 blocks & then south 2 blocks to pier entrance (whether ship is docked at Pier 88 or 90)

MTA mobile link will give you up-to-the-minute status about any weekend subway outage & alerts about (weekend train track works) disruption of services ... otherwise, this is the most frugal way to get around.

Since you will have one checked luggage - need to exit air-side, downstairs to AA's carousal & retrieve your bag - TSA isn't going to let you back ... you are stuck landside. Fortunately, that's where the updated food court is located ... don't believed any but one is open 24/7 so plan accordingly if you flight lands late ... energy bars/trail mixes, maybe (hmmm, I'm taking a guess on this one - Bánh Mì ;p perhaps)

If you insist & decide to stay at LGA no matter what, air-side @ Terminal B is best as relatively quiet, except sounds & machines of the cleaners (they are loud as we've landed on delayed inbound flights, stumbled off the jet-bridge at 1 AM). Otherwise, there're (not recent) reports of a homeless population occupying the desired spots land-side at LGA ... thus, not a good idea but for the most frugal travelers who feel blend in & aren't troubled by their presence nearby. If you can manage to each take one 22" carry-on & a smaller backpack, and, keep them both without being "asked" to gate-check it - you are better off (gate-check bags are delivered into the luggage carousal downstairs @LGA, not at the jet bridge upon landing & you won't be allowed to access the outside/tarmac) ... stay air-side in the terminal & don't leave until the morning.

Nearby is Flushing, NY's largest Chinatown/Asiatown - I see some possibilities, they do offer free LGA shuttles ... Thoughts, comments & questions.

Edited by mking8288

mking8288- Thank you so much for the detailed info. I guessed you've had our Bánh Mì ?? After reading about the transportation how to.. I think we'd better stick with shuttle or Lyft or Uber :):) We are not very good with directions .. We will take your advice about staying & will look into a brief hotel stay .. better to be safe ... I've read your post about your recent trip on NCL Gem... Very nice!! We just got back from an Asia cruise on Royal Caribbean .. still trying to catch our breath but this trip was planned last year for my birthday so here we go again..

Well, there aren't really any good Banh Mi sandwiches around here, DW's side has relatives in Orange County, CA & that's when we discovered Lee's Sandwiches chain (and iced Ca Phe Sua Da) store many, many years ago ... none on the East Coast. One of SIL was just in Seabrook, TX area & visited Rose's Seafood ?? and from her description, I won't even suggest bothering with Pho in NY ... okay, back on topic.

There are a few places here in downtown Flushing area, 10 minutes free hotel ride from LGA away - worth looking into ... looked at your stay, around $200 for 1 night, taxes & fees included. One of them used by long-haul TPAC airline crews, good for getting 6 to 8 hours of restful sleep, even if your flight land at 10 PM ... you would be checked-in by 11 & in case of a late night meal or snack, places nearby a short 5 minute walk away - and, perfectly safe to be out & around. (Ramada Limited on Prince Street is one of them - use TripAdvisors to lookup the reviews ... Macro LGA by Lexington is another)

There's about 4 or 5 airport hotels across from LGA, looked like their weekend rates are higher - but, if you can book it on points, those are fine. Other hotels much further away advertised as LGA but in reality, are much ... much further away, please check its location on Google Maps first before booking. Hot**** is another option in addition to Price**** search,

From either LGA or Flushing hotel, if you rather not deal with the subway in the morning ... we generally recommend & use Carmel or Dial 7 car service, it's about $45 to $50 with toll & tipping, fastest time on a longer route will get you to MCT in about 30 minutes. Uber or Lyft are fine too, fares should be a little lower.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear mking8288,

Thank you very much for the info you sent. We just got home from our cruise & thoroughly enjoyed NY.. We stayed at Comfort Inn for the night before the cruise as you've suggested .. Got a room at the location off 10th & 48th st which is about 1 block from the port.. reasonable price at $159 + tax .. We also used Dial7 which turned out to be very good .. We left the port at 8:45 & got to LGA about 9:20 for our flight at 11:30 .. Thanks again for your help!!

... Dial7 which turned out to be very good .. We left the port at 8:45 & got to LGA about 9:20 for our flight at 11:30 ...
Thanks for the followup & all of us on here offering help are always delighted & happy when plans worked out with our advice & ideas.

Watching the Breakaway doing one more turnaround before we board next Sunday. BTW, how was your LGA arrival experience and flying home ... it sounded like traffic congestion was just routine & things were smooth as a whole. TSA is always tricky as they don't always open Pre-Check lanes on weekends, etc. Got other CC'ers flying into LGA this week so they probably can't benefit from hearing about your first hand snapshot of how the Green shuttle route or Q70-SBS transferb was. Thanks again & have a beautiful Sunday.