Re-Introduction and Lots of Questions about Carnival Legend

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:02 AM.
upstate New York
25 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by JeffsWife
Hi! I registered here way back in 2013 when I was preparing for my first cruise (NCL Alaska). Since then I have done at least a cruise a year but always with NCL until the last cruise that was on Carnival because a cousin needed someone to share a cabin for a 7 day Western Caribbean, and how could I refuse that? All these previous cruises have been without my dear husband who was starting to get a little perturbed at his spoiled wife gallivanting around the oceans without him for weeks on end, so I put down money while on ship for this year's cruise for the two of us. Legend, Alaska, July 25. This will be my third Alaskan cruise, and his first ever cruise at all. It is important to know that Jeff doesn't like to travel (on the other hand, I get ansty if I am at home for more than a month at a time) but an Alaskan Cruise has always been his exception and this is a bucket list trip for him.

So now that he sees me as a seasoned cruiser (Ha!) he has left all the details to me, so I am hoping I am doing right by him. But of course I am second guessing some of my (too late to change) decisions and need some guidance, and insight on the Legend specifically. The sailing is the Alaskan 7 day itinerary leaving from Seattle.

Because it's Alaska, I made sure to get a balcony of course. Does anyone know if port or starboard is the better side? I believe our cabin is port side- 5205 I tried to choose a stable area (he might get seasick) close to elevators etc. (he doesn't like to walk much either- LOL) and the deck plan shows it by the atrium- is that a good or bad thing? I am more social and noise tolerant than Jeff, in fact I was worried Jeff would spend this while cruise in the cabin and on the balcony, ordering room service and only leaving the room for muster drill. LOL

Because of his proclivity toward being anti social, I made sure to schedule us up for tons of things to keep him from holing up with a book or TV. We have excursions in every port but Ketchikan and that is a town that I love exploring on my own so it was deliberate. Is there anything specific to the Legend that I should know to do?

Also specific to the Legend and the itinerary- I emailed to reserve the small boat excursion at Tracy Arm, but only found out how to do that last night! Anyone know how soon I can expect a confirmation or a response that I was too late and it is all sold out? Now that I know about that, I really really really want to do it and will be devastated if it sold out before I even knew it existed.

The other things I have done to make sure this is indeed a "bucket list" trip for Jeff, who has already said it will be his first and last cruise.... First class air travel to and from Seattle (we are in Kansas) FTTF already purchased, alcohol and diet coke to be delivered to room upon arrival, gratuities pre-paid, excursions booked, anniversary cake ordered to be delivered to room (we will also be celebrating our 15 year wedding anniversary) port transfers arranged, and parking for the week at KCI already taken care of... Did I miss anything?

I am hoping it will be a matter of driving to the airport then not having to think about anything or have any hassles until it's time to drive home from the airport.

I got a bit off track (sorry this is so long!) but really, I am so used to NCL and the only Carnival ship I have been on is Freedom so anything about Legend that I need to know or is interesting to know, would be great. I'm wondering too about the spa. I hear the steam room and hot tubs are usable without an upcharge? (I think a spa pass was 100+ dollars on NCL) Also we have early dining (6:00) confirmed, I am not used to the way the MDR works. Will we be seated with strangers or our own table? If we decide to skip MDR for dinner, do we need to inform them? The only other Carnival cruise I took, we had tons of family on board so we all sat a huge table.

Thanks for any advice or just chit chat so I can be excited about only 37 more days...My friends are getting sick of me talking about "my cruise in July". LOL

My husband and I will be on that cruise with you. This will be our 3rd cruise - 2nd on Carnival, and first trip to Alaska for either of us. We have an aft balcony booked. I have heard others say that packing binoculars is a must. I am much like you - I have had our excursions booked and travel arrangements made for months. For Skagway, we are going on the Yukon Discovery and Dog Sledding with Frontier Excursions. For Juneau, we are doing the Gold Panning and Salmon Bake, and for Ketchikan the Eagles and Totem Pole one. I emailed about the Tracy Arm boat back in October and got my reply from Carnival within a week. I also booked us a night at the Steakhouse. See you in 34 days.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Kansas City
32 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by engteacher
My husband and I will be on that cruise with you. This will be our 3rd cruise - 2nd on Carnival, and first trip to Alaska for either of us. We have an aft balcony booked. I have heard others say that packing binoculars is a must. I am much like you - I have had our excursions booked and travel arrangements made for months. For Skagway, we are going on the Yukon Discovery and Dog Sledding with Frontier Excursions. For Juneau, we are doing the Gold Panning and Salmon Bake, and for Ketchikan the Eagles and Totem Pole one. I emailed about the Tracy Arm boat back in October and got my reply from Carnival within a week. I also booked us a night at the Steakhouse. See you in 34 days.

I've done those excursions on previous cruises- all of them winners- you're going to love it! In Juneau, we are doing Mendenhall Glacier and Wildlife Quest- which I did on my first Alaskan cruise with another cruise line, and loved it enough to do again with my husband. Last time I did the gold panning and salmon bake- so much fun! Our Skagway excursion is the city tour, I've done everything else and even though I love the dogs, I think Jeff will prefer the town, scenery and history.

I still had no response about the Tracy Arm boat so I emailed again today in case I did it wrong. If nothing else maybe I will annoy them into a response.

I also emailed the maitre d' asking for specific consideration for either a table for 2 or YTD. I'm sure he's going to think I'm a crazy woman thinking about dinners that are still 34 days away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Baltimore, MD
944 Posts
Joined Dec 2009

The other things I have done to make sure this is indeed a "bucket list" trip for Jeff, who has already said it will be his first and last cruise.... First class air travel to and from Seattle (we are in Kansas) FTTF already purchased, alcohol and diet coke to be delivered to room upon arrival, gratuities pre-paid, excursions booked, anniversary cake ordered to be delivered to room (we will also be celebrating our 15 year wedding anniversary) port transfers arranged, and parking for the week at KCI already taken care of... Did I miss anything?
You sound like a planner- like me LOL!! The one thing that jumped out at me- and maybe you already have a plan but didn't mention it... are you flying in right before the cruise and heading straight to the pier or are you staying in Seattle the night before?

It sounds like you have a wonderful cruise planned- can't wait to hear about it when you get back
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Take Care- Diana

Usually sail on Carnival Pride, but we're trying her sister ship in August 2017
Alaska, here we come!!
Huntington Beach, CA
68 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
We are on this cruise too with kids and grandkids (9 of us). We did this same cruise 4 years ago and all loved it so much. The small boat excursion was so awesome we're doing it again. You really get up close and personal with the glacier! I think the company that runs the excursion is Allen Marine out of Juneau. It might be worth a call to check available. I'm a planner too! I don't mind some spontaneity, but not surprises, lol! When travelling with the family it would take half a day to figure out what everyone wanted to do.
In Skagway we are using Beyond Skagway Tours, taking a day out of Skagway customized to make it fun for the g'kids. Yes, that includes mushing dogs!! Juneau is whale watching only, and in Ketchikan we are just doing a 90 minute Ducks tour then explore the town. Last time we didn't get back to town until close to sail time. We were in a bus coming down a mountain after a great time canoeing and hiking a rainforest and the bus hit a pothole and tipped 45% on the mountainside. After evacuating from emergency exit another company came by and brought us back. Quite a memorable experience. Lucky we were on the uphill side, not the downhill. But I digress... in Victoria we're just going to walk around. The inner Harbour is so beautiful. If you haven't been to Butchers Gardens, you should consider it, even if your husband isn't interested. My husband is a HUGE reader too. The kids have always teased him and now the grandkids have caught on. He loves touring, but on the ship or at a hotel he enjoys his reading. After 46 years being married to him I've learned to give him just enough reading time so we can enjoy doing other stuff.
Not much longer til cruise day, YAY
Kansas City
32 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by Smithkids5521
You sound like a planner- like me LOL!! The one thing that jumped out at me- and maybe you already have a plan but didn't mention it... are you flying in right before the cruise and heading straight to the pier or are you staying in Seattle the night before?

It sounds like you have a wonderful cruise planned- can't wait to hear about it when you get back
I thought about and probably should have done the day before, but with the way Jeff's work schedule is and the way his vacation time works, that would have been difficult too. So instead I have scheduled the very first flight of the day, direct flight, arriving in Seattle around 8:00 AM I think- might be 8:30- and have organized Carnival transfer to port. I figure that way a flight delay shouldn't be too detrimental as there are other flights we could catch if absolutely necessary. And if we get in on time and as scheduled, hoping to drop luggage at the port early and maybe take in some sights for a couple hours before boarding. Our return flight is 6:00 PM the night we are back, so if we haven't time for sightseeing on the way in, we will on the way out. I have been there, so that part is not really important to me, but would be cool for Jeff.

I finally got confirmation of reservations on the small boat excursion at my desired time (11:00AM- the first boat) so I am very excited for that. And I had emailed the maitre d' requesting either a table for 2 or ytd...I got an email; back from him saying we are now listed as a table for 2 and if we decide 6:00 does not suit us for dinner, we can still change to ytd. We are pretty regimented people though, and 6:00 is dinner time every day Jeff is home (he works 48 hour or 72 hour shifts) whether we are eating at home or out, so I doubt we will have any issue with the timing.

Now that we are under 30 days, I am getting really excited. I cannot wait to get there!
Kansas City
32 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by yenrod2
We are on this cruise too with kids and grandkids (9 of us). We did this same cruise 4 years ago and all loved it so much. ...

In Skagway we are using Beyond Skagway Tours, taking a day out of Skagway customized to make it fun for the g'kids. Yes, that includes mushing dogs!! Juneau is whale watching only, and in Ketchikan we are just doing a 90 minute Ducks tour then explore the town. Last time we didn't get back to town until close to sail time. We were in a bus coming down a mountain after a great time canoeing and hiking a rainforest and the bus hit a pothole and tipped 45% on the mountainside. After evacuating from emergency exit another company came by and brought us back. Quite a memorable experience. Lucky we were on the uphill side, not the downhill. But I digress... in Victoria we're just going to walk around. The inner Harbour is so beautiful. If you haven't been to Butchers Gardens, you should consider it, even if your husband isn't interested. My husband is a HUGE reader too. The kids have always teased him and now the grandkids have caught on. He loves touring, but on the ship or at a hotel he enjoys his reading. After 46 years being married to him I've learned to give him just enough reading time so we can enjoy doing other stuff.
Not much longer til cruise day, YAY
That sounds great! This will be my third Alaska cruise- the last two on NCL with same ports and all day in Victoria. It seems this time, Victoria is just a pit stop. We are doing whale watching in Juneau too, because it is awesome. We are doing Mendenhall Glacier and Wildlife Quest. I am not sure who it is through, but I've done it before and the people were great so I wanted to go again. I haven't settled in on exactly what to do in Victoria. The last two times I did EVERYTHING LOL Since it will be dark and not much time, I am thinking we will probably just take the shuttle in and walk around for a bit.

I've built in plenty of reading/alone time for Jeff and scheduled spa services a couple of days...I never have before but I figured if I am spoiling him with luxury, I should treat myself a little too. Some sort of body wrap the evening of the first day, and a facial early morning before the glacier day. I've never done either of those things on or off a ship so it will be a completely new experience. With the (anticipated) spa gift cards, I hope to work in a mani/pedi at some point too...those too are nicest in the evening after all the activities are finished and Jeff can settle onto the balcony with a book.
San Antonio, TX
1,021 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
Originally posted by vinsheer
I think your time dining (YTD) might be better for you two. That way you can always have a table for two and arrive in the dining room anytime between 5:45 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Occasionally there may be a short wait but we just adjust our arrival times if we don't want any wait. From what I've seen it seems there's always a line that forms for early and late dining times as well. I believe the dining room on the Legend offers the whole second floor as YTD so easy to be seated. Enjoy your cruise!!
Last week, the YTD dining times were between 5:30 and 9:00, except the Victoria day, it was 5 to 8:30. We tended to arrive at seven and never had to wait. The line is very long from 5:30 - 6:00.

I finally got confirmation of reservations on the small boat excursion at my desired time (11:00AM- the first boat) so I am very excited for that. And I had emailed the maitre d' requesting either a table for 2 or ytd...I got an email; back from him saying we are now listed as a table for 2 and if we decide 6:00 does not suit us for dinner, we can still change to ytd. We are pretty regimented people though, and 6:00 is dinner time every day Jeff is home (he works 48 hour or 72 hour shifts) whether we are eating at home or out, so I doubt we will have any issue with the timing.
Glad you got the small boat excursion, we did it last week and it was well worth it. You get to within a quarter mile of the glacier as opposed to 3 or 4 on the ship. When you get back on the ship and see where the 3:30 excursion boat ends up, you will see how close you actually were!! Be glad you took the early one and not the late. Our early one was maybe half full, the late one looked almost completely full. Also, we did Endicott, not Tracy Arm. Talk on the small boat was that Tracy Arm had a huge piece of ice in the middle of it and no one can get past it. I guess they will go there again when it melts or floats out enough to get past it.

Also, early seating is at 5:30 (5 on the Victoria day), not at 6, if it will make a difference to you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Randy

Scandinavian Sea- 06/82
Carnivale-03/90
Oceanic- 10/92
Dolphin IV- 06/94
Fantasy- 02/95
Ecstasy- 08/97, 04/98
Norwegian Sky-04/00
Celebration- 07/02
Carnival Victory- 07/04
Grand Princess-03/07
Holiday- 12/07
Norwegian Sky- 08/08
Island Princess- 05/10
Carnival Sensation- 03/13
Carnival Ecstasy- 05/13
Carnival Triumph- 09/13, 09/14, 12/15
Norwegian Epic- 01/15
Norwegian Jade- 10/15 (First TA)
Norwegian Escape- 03/16
Carnival Legend- 09/16, 06/17
Huntington Beach, CA
68 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
That sounds great! This will be my third Alaska cruise- the last two on NCL with same ports and all day in Victoria. It seems this time, Victoria is just a pit stop. We are doing whale watching in Juneau too, because it is awesome. We are doing Mendenhall Glacier and Wildlife Quest. I am not sure who it is through, but I've done it before and the people were great so I wanted to go again. I haven't settled in on exactly what to do in Victoria. The last two times I did EVERYTHING LOL Since it will be dark and not much time, I am thinking we will probably just take the shuttle in and walk around for a bit.

I've built in plenty of reading/alone time for Jeff and scheduled spa services a couple of days...I never have before but I figured if I am spoiling him with luxury, I should treat myself a little too. Some sort of body wrap the evening of the first day, and a facial early morning before the glacier day. I've never done either of those things on or off a ship so it will be a completely new experience. With the (anticipated) spa gift cards, I hope to work in a mani/pedi at some point too...those too are nicest in the evening after all the activities are finished and Jeff can settle onto the balcony with a book.
Glad you got confirmed on the excursion. We're in the morning too. Nice planning on spa treatments. Looks like you have great plans
Kansas City
32 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by yenrod2
Glad you got confirmed on the excursion. We're in the morning too. Nice planning on spa treatments. Looks like you have great plans
I was honestly starting to worry. Everyone said they got confirmation within 24 hours and it had been at least a week before I heard anything. My panicky self just kept sending emails. I am sure they were finally annoyed into responding just so I would leave them alone. They responded to all my emails at once. The first 2 I opened said " sorry, the 11:00 am is full, the 2:00 is still available" then the third one I opened said, "we are pleased to confirm your reservations at 11:00". So I hope I didn't confuse them too much at least. I look forward to seeing you on the boat!

Originally posted by zdcatc12
Glad you got the small boat excursion, we did it last week and it was well worth it. You get to within a quarter mile of the glacier as opposed to 3 or 4 on the ship. When you get back on the ship and see where the 3:30 excursion boat ends up, you will see how close you actually were!! Be glad you took the early one and not the late. Our early one was maybe half full, the late one looked almost completely full. Also, we did Endicott, not Tracy Arm. Talk on the small boat was that Tracy Arm had a huge piece of ice in the middle of it and no one can get past it. I guess they will go there again when it melts or floats out enough to get past it.

Also, early seating is at 5:30 (5 on the Victoria day), not at 6, if it will make a difference to you.
I am okay with Endicott, and have pretty much resigned myself to missing Tracy Arm- no ship has made it yet this year, have they? But honestly from our fairly uneducated about it vantage point, a glacier is a glacier, so it will still be good. I wondered if afternoon would be crowded. I think they might try to shove everyone they can who waited to make reservations on that one (maximize profits LOL) and of course many people probably wanting to be more leisurely on what is essentially a sea day and not miss breakfast/brunch/lunch/etc. In my real life, I would much prefer afternoon or evening schedules for any activity but on the ocean, I am more of a "seize the day" person and thought the earlier boat would probably offer the better views and nature watching.

I don't think 5:30 is going to make a lot of difference for dinner. Our 6:00 "meal time" at home was a very long progression from Jeff's much preferred really early dinner times. I tease him that he is getting old and that before you know it, dinner will be at 3:30. He will probably be pleased with slightly earlier on the ship, but it might be a struggle to get him back into waiting until 6:00 when we get home.
USA
183 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Thanks! I will definitely do that. One of his complaints about not wanting to cruise was "eating with strangers". It's not that he isn't friendly or nice or personable, he is just not very comfortable with new people. On NCL, which I am not comparing, but much more familiar with is all, you go to the MDR when you go (or not) and get seated with whom you arrive so the concept of set tables, times, and dining companions is still a bit foreign to me and seems way too "structured" for his tastes.

If we choose not to eat in MDR one night (we do have steakhouse reservations one night as well) do we need to inform the maitre d' or will he just figure it out if we don't show up?

We do plan on seeing the shows, and I am staking out a seat in the comedy club every night. Comedy is my thing more than music; Jeff is into live music though, so I am sure we will make the rounds for that too.
We sailed Legend recently. Great entertainment team--one of the best I have seen, so you will find things to do. Good call on the comedy, the hostess/manager is fun, and the comedians they get are first class. Legend also has a pub band (and there are games in the back you can play for free while you listen), and there is always some sort of activity from crafts to trivia. The piano bar guy is hilarious--this is not your Grandmother's piano bar!

The buffet often has much of the food served in the MDR, my DH is also not fond of eating with strangers. But the food is good on this ship, even in the buffet.

You are staying almost exactly where we did; that room is decent for movement--but honestly, in Alaska, that's not too bad usually anyway.

Don't count out Tracy Arm; we made in in June. But if you don't, Endicott is pretty.