Wine prices by the bottle

freedomdiner

Just off Marina where, by chance, we had a boatload of "use it or lose it" OBC. We used some of it for better wines (over $100 per bottle) than we would normally order aboard ship, given their exorbitant markups: Brunello, Pommard, Gevrey-Chambertin, etc.

Without exception, the red wines were opened and served at room temperature rather than anything approximating correct cellar temperature. They seemed simply to have been plucked off a shelf. Very disappointing, both in the presentation and in the tasting. (I don't count La Reserve in this as we did not choose that experience.) One may argue exactly what the temperature in a proper wine cellar should be, but it definitely is not somewhere in the mid-70s.

Yes, we could have ordered an ice bucket to cool the wine down a bit....but really, it shouldn't have been necessary. Frankly, I'd be embarrassed to be seen dunking a bottle of good French red into ice. Plus, the wine doesn't cool down uniformly so constant monitoring is required while we wait, and meanwhile the food is arriving...blah, blah, blah.

It certainly didn't spoil our meals or our cruise, but it was a noticeable and regrettable lapse in O's otherwise fine service. Just my two cents; thanks for reading.

Just off Marina where, by chance, we had a boatload of "use it or lose it" OBC. We used some of it for better wines (over $100 per bottle) than we would normally order aboard ship, given their exorbitant markups: Brunello, Pommard, Gevrey-Chambertin, etc.

Without exception, the red wines were opened and served at room temperature rather than anything approximating correct cellar temperature. They seemed simply to have been plucked off a shelf. Very disappointing, both in the presentation and in the tasting. (I don't count La Reserve in this as we did not choose that experience.) One may argue exactly what the temperature in a proper wine cellar should be, but it definitely is not somewhere in the mid-70s.

Yes, we could have ordered an ice bucket to cool the wine down a bit....but really, it shouldn't have been necessary. Frankly, I'd be embarrassed to be seen dunking a bottle of good French red into ice. Plus, the wine doesn't cool down uniformly so constant monitoring is required while we wait, and meanwhile the food is arriving...blah, blah, blah.

It certainly didn't spoil our meals or our cruise, but it was a noticeable and regrettable lapse in O's otherwise fine service. Just my two cents; thanks for reading.

On the other hand, your on a ship, at a nice table , in the middle of the ocean, with nice people.... and you have wine too! I like wine, I dont love it.. I have a fair size cellar, I would not expect any wine stored on a ships cellar for any time to be any where its full quality due to all the rolling around and vibrations and just shipping it to the ship.... and thus would never bring it or order it to what is a hostile wine environment .

I am thus rather forgiving and pragmatic.. and yes I realize the pomp and all for serving wine... There is good in every wine from "2 buck chuck" to Pertus. 61.. Laugh and enjoy the time with others... the wine is just window dressing in reality.....dont take it too seriously.

Dan;

Great wine is like a beautiful woman:

To be admired and enjoyed for all they are or as you dream them to be;

and it's all a matter of opinion and perspective, for:

One man's plonk may be another man's beautiful bride! ;)

On the other hand, your on a ship, at a nice table , in the middle of the ocean, with nice people.... and you have wine too! I like wine, I dont love it.. I have a fair size cellar, I would not expect any wine stored on a ships cellar for any time to be any where its full quality due to all the rolling around and vibrations and just shipping it to the ship.... and thus would never bring it or order it to what is a hostile wine environment .

I am thus rather forgiving and pragmatic.. and yes I realize the pomp and all for serving wine... There is good in every wine from "2 buck chuck" to Pertus. 61.. Laugh and enjoy the time with others... the wine is just window dressing in reality.....dont take it too seriously.

Well said, and totally agree.