Costa Maya advice for first timers?

EllAyyBee

Hi :) We're preparing for our first cruise and would love some advice for our day in Costa Maya. We're NOT looking to spend the day at the beach however. We were sort of thinking we'd be able to just play it by ear. Shopping, dining, local sightseeing, etc. I've read up and I see that Costa Maya is a small port. What would you recommend for a couple looking to spend 6-7 hours on our own, not at the beach?

Thanks!

Carnival Valor - April 2-9 2016

May I suggest a tour of one of the local Maya Ruins. Contact Native Choice for information. https://thenativechoice.com/

These guys are very very good, very reliable and less expensive that ship excursions catering to small groups versus large size groups on ship tours.

Otherwise, Costa Maya is primarily a beach port. Most of the shopping is at the cruise port and is typical in higher prices and the usual tourista type offerings you'll find at any cruise port. If you are looking for a nice seaside place for lunch, these too are in the beach clubs along the malecon in the village of Mahahual about a5 minute taxi to tram ride from port. See the link in my signature for an idea of what these places look like and where they are.

EllALL Bee, Don't just stay on ship.....we were in Costa Maya a year or so ago and take the 5 minute ride to town, nice boardwalk with small shops, resturants, bars free wifi, and you can see beach and water if you are not wanting a beach day, but the boardwalk is nice to stroll, look and enjoy

EllALL Bee, Don't just stay on ship.....we were in Costa Maya a year or so ago and take the 5 minute ride to town, nice boardwalk with small shops, resturants, bars free wifi, and you can see beach and water if you are not wanting a beach day, but the boardwalk is nice to stroll, look and enjoy

Totally agree. Costa Maya is a lovely area. We don't swim there although sometimes we do get a massage on the beach. The little town was virtually destroyed by Hurricane Wilma in 2005 and subsequently rebuilt by the Mexican Government.

After strolling through the Port area, we take the quick bus ride to the little town and walk along the boardwalk -- it is so relaxing and scenic there. Best way back to the Port is a quick taxi ride.

One time my DH booked a horse-riding excursion at the Port (spur of the moment thing) and had a great time. The gentleman took him by Jeep to where the horses where and they rode through the area and stopped at a hut where a woman was making bread in the ancient method. He thoroughly enjoyed the experience and couldn't believe it was just him and the guide.

Cost around $45.00 for about 4 hours.

This is a Port worth getting off the ship to see. We stay on the ship in Falmouth and Belize but always look forward to Costa Maya. Unfortunately for us, it was too windy to dock when we were there in January but we hope to get there next January.

Edited by tomko2

Thanks guys! This is exactly what we're looking for, info like this. We're in port 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. that day. After 3 excursion days in a row the days before, we just want to take it easy in Costa Maya. I know we'll at least get off the boat and look around, if for no other reason than to turn on the cell phones and check in with the kids back home. (Yes, we've got the international calling added to our line) We're just very pale people, I've got a history of skin cancer, so we avoid beach settings with direct sunlight for several hours. The idea of a boardwalk stroll sounds awesome! I really appreciate the help :)

To those who have went into town to the boardwalk I have a couple questions:1) Is there usually a fair amount of folks from the ship there and did you feel like this was a safe place to be? 2) How did you arrange transportation to get there? 3) From how your posts read this seems to remind me of Cozumel when you take a taxi up to that boardwalk, correct? 4) As for money American dollars or plastic or what?

We will be in Costa Maya in May for our first time. Not much offered on the RC site that interested us.

Thanks

Thanks guys! This is exactly what we're looking for, info like this. We're in port 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. that day. After 3 excursion days in a row the days before, we just want to take it easy in Costa Maya. I know we'll at least get off the boat and look around, if for no other reason than to turn on the cell phones and check in with the kids back home. (Yes, we've got the international calling added to our line) We're just very pale people, I've got a history of skin cancer, so we avoid beach settings with direct sunlight for several hours. The idea of a boardwalk stroll sounds awesome! I really appreciate the help :)

On your very cruise! :D Come check us out on the roll call board and say "Hi!"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2193534

We are doing Mahahual as well and just enjoying the ambiance of the town. I absolutely fell in love with the place when we went in 2008.:)

To those who have went into town to the boardwalk I have a couple questions:1) Is there usually a fair amount of folks from the ship there and did you feel like this was a safe place to be? 2) How did you arrange transportation to get there? 3) From how your posts read this seems to remind me of Cozumel when you take a taxi up to that boardwalk, correct? 4) As for money American dollars or plastic or what?

We will be in Costa Maya in May for our first time. Not much offered on the RC site that interested us.

Thanks

1. Yes. This little town balloons in size when cruise ship passengers hit the port. There is some local tourist trade but it really switches into a different gear when cruise ships hit. Lots of cruise passengers.

2. There are taxis and an open air trolley that will both take you to Mahahual. taxis are $2 per person each way and the trolley is $3 per person.

3. not sure what you mean, but the town is about a 3 mile drive from the exit of the cruise port. You probably could walk it, but it is much easier to take a taxi or trolley. Everything right at the cruiseport is overpriced.

4. I generally only use cash when I'm in a foreign country. American dollars work fine. I assume that a lot of places will take credit if you really want to go that route.

On your very cruise! :D Come check us out on the roll call board and say "Hi!"

I was wondering how long I'd be here before I ran into someone cruising with us next week! Nice to "meet" you. Thank you for the advice as well.

We were there last week. Took the shuttle into town for US$3 each. Had lunch at Nohoch Kay, which is towards the far end of the Boardwalk. We had a large plate of mixed ceviche (shrimp, octopus and fish) and a fairly large whole grilled fish (some kind of snapper). It was absolutely delicious.

Including two non-alcoholic drinks each, our bill was 504 pesos, or US $34. The restaurant exchange rate was 15 pesos/dollar. This is less than what my credit card would have given me, but not too bad. I tried to use my credit card several times, but all the merchants claimed that their machines were "down". US dollars are gladly accepted.

We took a cab back to the ship for US$2 per person, plus tip.

This is a nice port. Don't just stay on the ship. There are a lot of vendors, but they are pleasant and not too pushy. The fresh seafood here is worth the trip.

• 2 weeks later...

We had one of our best cruise excursions ever touring the Mayan ruins of Chachoben. We booked through Native Choice online.

It consisted of a tour through some Mayan ruins called Chacchoben and a meal prepared and served in a Mayan village by Mayan women dressed in local costumes. We were driven to the area (50 minutes) in a comfortable air conditioned van. Along the way we were treated to a narration by the staff members. I didn't hear most of it because I was sitting in the back (and am somewhat hard of hearing), but what I did hear was lively and informative.

The ruins were not as extensive as Chichenitza but were well excavated. There still is extensive work going on. The guide gave us an interesting talk about the culture, meaning of the buildings and layout of the area. Along the way we were treated to the antics of spider monkeys; in fact, one of them deposited a tiny bit of his droppings on the back of my shirt. It was enjoyable walking through the jungle paths (easy walking) listening to the guide. I did not feel rushed, unlike some other tours.

Another 15 minute drive on dirt roads brought us to the Mayan village where people lived in homes with dirt floors and thatched roofs. Along the way, the guide (Maria) pointed out a Mexican village (as contrasted with a Mayan village). Before we arrived, Maria taught us how to say "Good Day" and "Thank you" in Mayan so we could greet the ladies. The women were dressed in beautiful costumes. The home was set in a lovely garden with flowering plants and many edible plants such as coffee, bananas, and cinnamon. We then learned how to pat out our own tortillas with corn flour – masa – , watched them being cooked on a charcoal fire, and then ate them with Mayan salsa, a delicious paste of roasted tomatoes, ground roast pumpkin seeds, and cilantro. This was truly yummy.

The lunch we were served, really a dinner, was served at tables, set with white tablecloths and crockery plates. No plastic here. The lunch was wonderful: chicken with gravy, rice garnished with rings of yellow and red peppers, roasted vegetables (zucchini, other squashes, potatoes, carrots), wonderful empanadas, more tortillas, and hibiscus tea, a sweet, reddish drink made from hibiscus flowers. I am not exaggerating to say that this meal was one of most enjoyable experiences of the entire cruise. The atmosphere of the home and garden was peaceful. After we ate, the ladies displayed some of their creations such as placemats, etc., but there was no pressure to buy. We were allowed to wander the gardens and home, before departing in the van.

I can only remember the name of one of the staff, Maria, but the other guides were also interesting and well spoken.

May I suggest a tour of one of the local Maya Ruins. Contact Native Choice for information. https://thenativechoice.com/

These guys are very very good, very reliable and less expensive that ship excursions catering to small groups versus large size groups on ship tours.

Otherwise, Costa Maya is primarily a beach port. Most of the shopping is at the cruise port and is typical in higher prices and the usual tourista type offerings you'll find at any cruise port. If you are looking for a nice seaside place for lunch, these too are in the beach clubs along the malecon in the village of Mahahual about a5 minute taxi to tram ride from port. See the link in my signature for an idea of what these places look like and where they are.

Agree with the above! ^^

A Mayan ruins is your only real option other than a beach day.

We had one of our best cruise excursions ever touring the Mayan ruins of Chachoben. We booked through Native Choice online.

It consisted of a tour through some Mayan ruins called Chacchoben and a meal prepared and served in a Mayan village by Mayan women dressed in local costumes. We were driven to the area (50 minutes) in a comfortable air conditioned van. Along the way we were treated to a narration by the staff members. I didn't hear most of it because I was sitting in the back (and am somewhat hard of hearing), but what I did hear was lively and informative.

The ruins were not as extensive as Chichenitza but were well excavated. There still is extensive work going on. The guide gave us an interesting talk about the culture, meaning of the buildings and layout of the area. Along the way we were treated to the antics of spider monkeys; in fact, one of them deposited a tiny bit of his droppings on the back of my shirt. It was enjoyable walking through the jungle paths (easy walking) listening to the guide. I did not feel rushed, unlike some other tours.

Another 15 minute drive on dirt roads brought us to the Mayan village where people lived in homes with dirt floors and thatched roofs. Along the way, the guide (Maria) pointed out a Mexican village (as contrasted with a Mayan village). Before we arrived, Maria taught us how to say "Good Day" and "Thank you" in Mayan so we could greet the ladies. The women were dressed in beautiful costumes. The home was set in a lovely garden with flowering plants and many edible plants such as coffee, bananas, and cinnamon. We then learned how to pat out our own tortillas with corn flour – masa – , watched them being cooked on a charcoal fire, and then ate them with Mayan salsa, a delicious paste of roasted tomatoes, ground roast pumpkin seeds, and cilantro. This was truly yummy.

The lunch we were served, really a dinner, was served at tables, set with white tablecloths and crockery plates. No plastic here. The lunch was wonderful: chicken with gravy, rice garnished with rings of yellow and red peppers, roasted vegetables (zucchini, other squashes, potatoes, carrots), wonderful empanadas, more tortillas, and hibiscus tea, a sweet, reddish drink made from hibiscus flowers. I am not exaggerating to say that this meal was one of most enjoyable experiences of the entire cruise. The atmosphere of the home and garden was peaceful. After we ate, the ladies displayed some of their creations such as placemats, etc., but there was no pressure to buy. We were allowed to wander the gardens and home, before departing in the van.

I can only remember the name of one of the staff, Maria, but the other guides were also interesting and well spoken.

Hi - thanks for your detail on the tour. Was this a custom tour you arranged with Native Choice? When reviewing the tours offered on their website lunch is not included on the Chocchoben Ruins tour. Was it perhaps one of the other ruins? We will be on the Dawn in less than 2 weeks and still need to finalize some shore excursions (yikes!) - we will probably book with Native Choice.

Thanks very much!

Eric

Here is another option, although all the others are quite good. We just did a segway tour on Easter Sunday off the Caribbean Princess. We booked thru the ship but you can also check Costco's vendor, shore excursion group shoreex.com. Anyone can book thru them.

We loved it--we spent 2 hours on the segways (a fun way to cover a long distance). There is about 40 minutes of training (they are VERY safety conscious), then you ride up and down the Malecon). Later, you can go back to any place you liked. And they make 1 photo stop at the lighthouse and one stop in town at Blue Cay. We had enough time to go back and check out shops.

The tour normally ends at the Malecon, and they give you a ticket that gives you cab ride back to the port. When we did it, they gave us the option of going back to the port or doing the cab. I think this varies by the specific day. And it was Easter Sunday and they had no more tours, so they handled it a little differently than normal.

We had a great time and it is a fun way to see all the Malecon.

Good luck

ML

• 4 months later...
Hi - thanks for your detail on the tour. Was this a custom tour you arranged with Native Choice? When reviewing the tours offered on their website lunch is not included on the Chocchoben Ruins tour. Was it perhaps one of the other ruins? We will be on the Dawn in less than 2 weeks and still need to finalize some shore excursions (yikes!) - we will probably book with Native Choice.

Thanks very much!

Eric

The described tour is the Mayan Experience Tour - we have this tour booked for early October and REALLY looking forward to it.

• 1 month later...

For those looking for an easy day in Costa Maya, Katherine and I were there six years ago. We had a wonderful day for not much $$. I think it is much more developed now, but still within the low-cost beach option.

After leaving the cruise port shops and constructed area, we got a taxi for about ten bucks each to a long strip of beach shack establishments. Every little bar had its chairs and umbrellas, and for the price of a drink you could park yourself there. The beach and the water were beautiful. Some guys were offering water sporty things at a price. You could get a lady to do you a massage. We ordered up daiquiris, guacamole and salsa (and I feared we would have Montezuma's Revenge) but it was all good and delicious, no after effects.

I understand this area is now called the Malecon (kind of like a beach-boardwalk in English) and there are a lot more sophisticated establishments. But I think we can still find a small beach hut thing and have a nice day like last time. Sounds like there are still taxis to the malecon, and now also a trolley.