Interior Room or Ocean View or Balcony?

mrandmrscruiser

I have a tendency to get motion sick, while we have never been on a cruise so Im not sure how Ill do on the ocean and I do plan to take Bonine and bring Ginger also I was just wondering which is better? I think we would love the balcony one but I wasnt sure how that would be for rocking? They say for motion sickness your supposed to get a room in the center of the ship. . But I think a interior room would make it worse and make me claustaphobic. Do you really feel the motion more on a balcony room or ocean view??

Also we have a baby and when we go she will be 2 years old, how safe is the balcony railing??

There's no more motion in a balcony cabin than in an OV....so if you can swing it, get the balcony...do try for something close to the middle of the ship. Lower decks will also help. But, realize, you aren't going to be in your cabin 24/7--you'll be out and about all over the ship!!!! The pool is on one of the top decks...

Your 2 year old will be quite safe....for her to go overboard, you'll have to throw her off! The railings are high and have no footholds...she'll be fine.

As far as the medications....I'd go with the Bonine until you see how the seas are. Ginger is fine and good, but if you are prone to motion sickness, take the real medicine!

My girlfriend and I just booked our first cruise together and we ended up getting an interior room. Our rationale was that pretty much we were only going to be in the room to sleep. A balcony would be nice to have breakfast on in the morning. Other than that they are no bigger then the interior rooms and to us didn't justify an extra 200 per person. Maybe I'll change my mind after but we'll be out and about. We did, however, get an interior room in the middle of the ship so hopefully that will help the gf combat the motion sickness.

We have booked an interior cabin for the first time. I am very claustrophobic and a bit worried but like the other poster said...your'e only there to sleep. We'll see how it goes. May be getting a fan to take with me and that may help... If it's allright, then I've saved enough to pay for half the next one! I also get a little motion sickness. Bonine does the trick every time and without the drowsiness! Have a terrific time:)

We have booked an interior cabin for the first time. I am very claustrophobic and a bit worried but like the other poster said...your'e only there to sleep. We'll see how it goes. May be getting a fan to take with me and that may help... If it's allright, then I've saved enough to pay for half the next one! I also get a little motion sickness. Bonine does the trick every time and without the drowsiness! Have a terrific time

IMO, if you are sailing longer than 7days a balcony is great, because you have more time to sit and relax. A 7day cruise or shorter to me you are all over the ship and off the ship trying to get as much in as possible, in that lenght of time. I was upgraded to a balcony a couple of years ago,(7dy) and ended up on the balcony the last sea day morning.

Whatever choice is made a cruise vacation is the best. :)

I have been on a total of seven cruises and will say that that I have never had motion sickness. I do alot of off shore fishing and can say that hasn't been always the case. These ships are HUGE! I don't think you realize it until you are standing beside one. You do feel the motion a little but it's not too bad. I found I felt my see legs more when we got off the ship at the various ports of call. I have always chosen inside cabins and I like the other cruisers spend time in the cabin to sleep and shower. There is so much to do and things to see I wished I didn't have to sleep at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I think when people say to get a room in the center of the ship for motion sickness they mean center as in front to back not center as in inside cabin. I get very sea sick and use the sea bands, but different things work for different people. Being able to open the balcony door and get fresh air will help if you are feeling ill. But I always say cabins are for sleeping! :)

I agree that fresh air is helpful so a balcony would be great, if possible. Also, I discovered that I need to start taking the bonine the day before I step foot on the ship. With some preparation, it is easy to to cruise even when you are disposed to motion sickness.

We sailed last fall in balcony cabin, on Summit (cab 7133) With 2.5yrs old.

It was great!!!

It is safe and 14 days went wery well!

This time we choose inside(7days cruise) We'll see what is that))

We didn't get any sickness at all.

The cabins we choose are in the middle of the ship.

Just returned from a 14 cruise to Hawaii with an inside room.. and in the past 3 years 5 other cruises..all inside rooms...

I love them and so does my wife... dark, cozy, comfortable , private ..

I sleep in my room use the bathroom change clothes and nap .. when awake I am on deck meeting people, sitting on a high deck watching the ocean , in the pool , in the gym watching a movie, my balcony is the entire ship ..

Now if you don't want to socialize and watch the ocean from your room and plan on not moving around the ship great get a balcony stay in your room ... get the cabin that fits your life style...

There's no right or wrong here it's individual preference.. based on what you want out of the ship board experience for my wife and I who are social and active we sleep in the room.. and out and gone rest of the day ..

I agree, it's really a personal preference... I'm claustrophobic, and having the "wall of windows" (sliders to the balcony) really opens the cabin space up for me and makes it manageable. I also find it helpful/comforting to be able to get some fresh air, while laying down, if any of us are feeling queasy. It's true that if I had an inside or oceanview cabin I wouldn't spend much time there... but I've been known to spend a great deal of time just relaxing out on the balcony, reading, having my coffee, sunbathing -- no need to do laps around the deck scoping out a lounge chair if I can just stay put on my balcony! -- and just enjoying the quiet & the view. Ahhhh.... wish I was there right now!

My guess is that if you are traveling with a 2 year old you will be spending some time in your room for naps, down time, etc. I'd go at least for an ocean view for that reason.

If there isn't a huge price difference and/or you can afford the balcony go for it! I have small children too....and I wouldn't be worried about the balcony rail but I'd NEVER let one of my kids out there without me. I'm guessing you won't either so it shouldn't be an issue.

Oh...and I get motion sick too. I had my Dr prescribe me the patch but I didn't need to use it. I wore my sexy sea bands for several days though.

We have done both balcony & OV and we will always go back to the balcony. We never had an inside cabin but our friends have but for me, I need a window. If you go with the balcony first you will be hooked and not want anything but that from now on. On Princess & Carnival the balconies were completely child-proof.

My first cruise, in Greece, I had the owner's suite; the next cruise I had a balcony and my last one I had an oceanview. I loved them all. Actually, I very much enjoyed the oceanview because it was on the first deck and the water was closer. I believe a lot of the enjoyment is related to your expectations. I never (well almost never) felt I was stepping down. After all, I was on a ship.

My girlfriend and I just booked our first cruise together and we ended up getting an interior room. Our rationale was that pretty much we were only going to be in the room to sleep. A balcony would be nice to have breakfast on in the morning. Other than that they are no bigger then the interior rooms and to us didn't justify an extra 200 per person. Maybe I'll change my mind after but we'll be out and about. We did, however, get an interior room in the middle of the ship so hopefully that will help the gf combat the motion sickness.

Well since my last post I totally changed my mind and I surprised the girlfriend by getting an aft-wrap around suite - 7298 on the Legend. It was a little pricey but it is my girlfriends first vacation in 10 years and I wanted it to be special. Plus after looking at some you tube videos of the aft wraparounds I had to book it!

Until now we've only done OV. I personally would not be happy with a room with no windows. I love opening my curtains and seeing the sunrise in the morning before I head up to the deck.

This year we went all out and got an extended suite. I know for us the room has a pretty big impact on how well we enjoy our vacation for some others it's not a big deal. Now that we have a balcony I have a feeling a large part of our days will be spent out there.

Well I just want to comment in regards to which room is best when prone to seasickness. As a boat owner and avid boater and cruiser, the most important thing to be able to see when you are feeling the green monster is the horizon. Having fresh air in addition to being able to look out is definitely a huge bonus. Sea sickeness is caused by instability in your ear drum, and visual cues are an important deterrent in making your illness worse. If you are feeling a bit under the weather, would you rather be somewhere in a public venue or in the privacy of your cabin? A midship cabin CAN make a huge difference, since that is the stablest part of the vessel.

I really have a hard time when people mention the size of the ship as if that is enough to combat mother nature on the open seas. Sure a larger vessel will do great in 3-4 foot chop or 7-8 foot seas, but if the ocean is churned up, you will feel it. Our last cruise to Alaska from Seattle, I couldn't even shower as our stateroom was near the bow and the movement was enough to hinder your balance and make you lose your footing. That's not to scare you, just to let you know that it's a possibility and be prepared BEFORE rough seas hit as Bonine is quite ineffective once you begin to experience symptoms.

Well I just want to comment in regards to which room is best when prone to seasickness. As a boat owner and avid boater and cruiser, the most important thing to be able to see when you are feeling the green monster is the horizon. Having fresh air in addition to being able to look out is definitely a huge bonus. Sea sickeness is caused by instability in your ear drum, and visual cues are an important deterrent in making your illness worse. If you are feeling a bit under the weather, would you rather be somewhere in a public venue or in the privacy of your cabin? A midship cabin CAN make a huge difference, since that is the stablest part of the vessel.

I really have a hard time when people mention the size of the ship as if that is enough to combat mother nature on the open seas. Sure a larger vessel will do great in 3-4 foot chop or 7-8 foot seas, but if the ocean is churned up, you will feel it. Our last cruise to Alaska from Seattle, I couldn't even shower as our stateroom was near the bow and the movement was enough to hinder your balance and make you lose your footing. That's not to scare you, just to let you know that it's a possibility and be prepared BEFORE rough seas hit as Bonine is quite ineffective once you begin to experience symptoms.

hi for what it is worth i too suffer from motion sickness so much so i cannot watch eyemax movies and i can get motion sickness walking up a sloped floor or up on a elevated walkway so needless to say i was really wary when we went on our first cruise september 2007 we had an ocean view room as i know watching the horizon definatly helps when i get sea sick (we have a small boat but my husband cannot get me out through the heads without me being sick so we stay in the lake) we had a cabin on deck 7 right up in the bow on brilliance i took my ginger travel tablets with me and only had to use them one night out of a seven night cruise looking forward to our next cruise 18 night ocean voyage on poesia in september ,may need the ginger a bit more this time.

Yes, good point, ginger capsules or tablets can work, but not for all. That is why if you don't know yet how your body responds to various meds or other natural remedies, ie bands, ginger, it is best to prepare and even practice. It may sound stupid, but you never want to take a drug you never had before on your vacation. Take a day, and use a Bonine tablet just to see how you react. I usually take the recommended dosage and half it, to gradually introduce it into my blood stream. Instead of every 4 hours I may take it every 2 with the reduced amount. Once my system gets used to it, I follow the prescribed directions.

I did not take anything on a transatlantic QE2 trip and had an inside cabin. Let me tell you when the seas roared it was too late for any over the counter meds, and I ended up going to the belly of the ship to get a shot from the ship's doc, which knocked me out for more than 12 hours. Lesson learned. But the shot lasted the entire crossing!!!!

Archived