Looking for snorkeling recommendation...

CaribbeanBound

We really want to snorkel in Belize.

I've seen recommendations for ecotours belize, seasports belize, belize cruise excursions, and coral breeze tours (but the latest reports on Coral Breeze is to avoid them).

For those of you that have actually used one of these tour companies (or any other) for a snorkeling tour in Belize within the past year, please let me know who you recommend and why?

Edited by CaribbeanBound

• 3 weeks later...

We asked Shore Excursioneer and were told that from the mainland, there is no good snorkeling in range of the ships, however they do have options on San Pedro, a little island off the coast....will try next time :)

We used Sea Sports Belize for a diving excursion a few years ago and were very pleased. Their shop is a short walk from the "Tourism Village" (don't believe everything that people say about it not being safe to leave the tourism village... we simply did not find it to be that way). Their crew was very friendly and professional. We had a very windy and rainy day during our excursion, so the diving wasn't that great, but we wouldn't hesitate to book with Sea Sports Belize again. Hope that helps.

We used to go with Coral Breeze for many years but nothing with them in about a year.

We have had good luck in booking with Island Marketing who uses Eco Tours in Belize as their operator. Book with either one & you will be fine. We did book with Island Marketing as it was a bit less expensive than booking directly with Eco Tours for the same trip. Go figure ??

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

We did a snorkeling trip to Shark Ray Alley in Belize this past Feb. There were 2 snorkel spots and then you docked at Caye Caulker for a late lunch and approx 2 hrs of free time to explore. We LOVED Caye Caulker so much that we leave at the end of this month for 10 days on the small island!

Unfortunately I cannot remember the tour operator we used. I can say the snorkeling was very good, though. We have snorkeled and been scuba diving at most islands in the Carribean and this was unique. We have snorkeled with sting rays before so that part of the trip was not unique. Snorkeling with nerf sharks, though, was a first for us and pretty cool!

• 1 month later...
We did a snorkeling trip to Shark Ray Alley in Belize this past Feb. There were 2 snorkel spots and then you docked at Caye Caulker for a late lunch and approx 2 hrs of free time to explore. We LOVED Caye Caulker so much that we leave at the end of this month for 10 days on the small island!

Unfortunately I cannot remember the tour operator we used. I can say the snorkeling was very good, though. We have snorkeled and been scuba diving at most islands in the Carribean and this was unique. We have snorkeled with sting rays before so that part of the trip was not unique. Snorkeling with nerf sharks, though, was a first for us and pretty cool!

What was the time for the excursion, which ship were you on, and did you fly or boat over.

We were sailing on Princess Crown when we did this excursion in Feb 2013. However, it was NOT a cruise sponsored excursion. It was one I booked privately.

I believe the excursion departed at 9:30 or 10:00, but am not 100% certain on this. I do not recall what time we returned to the pier, but do know we had ample time to catch the tender and return to the ship.

The excursion was a boat excursion. You met the tour operator at the cruise pier, took the boat to the 2 snorkel sites, stopped on C Caulker for lunch/exploring and then returned by boat to the pier.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

We were sailing on Princess Crown when we did this excursion in Feb 2013. However, it was NOT a cruise sponsored excursion. It was one I booked privately.

I believe the excursion departed at 9:30 or 10:00, but am not 100% certain on this. I do not recall what time we returned to the pier, but do know we had ample time to catch the tender and return to the ship.

The excursion was a boat excursion. You met the tour operator at the cruise pier, took the boat to the 2 snorkel sites, stopped on C Caulker for lunch/exploring and then returned by boat to the pier.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

I wish you could remember the tour operator. That sounds exactly like what we want. Anything you could look up and check?

When I looked up island marketing they did not mention going to Shark ray Alley and that would be our reason to book. Ecotours is a possibility, but we want as long as possible snorkeling.

We just returned from Belize. We snorkeled with Seasport. Very easy walk from where the ship tendered. They take you by boat to a little (maybe 25 ft. across) island. Kind of a sand bar. You snorkel from there. We did about a 1.5 hr. snorkel in the AM, then ate lunch on the little island. Then snorkeled on the other side of the island for about another 1.5 hr. in the PM. Returned to the port in plenty of time to shop & catch the tender back to the ship.

The reef was beautiful. The day was cloudy, so the colors weren't as vibrant. There is quite a strong current. It rained in the afternoon really hard. We snorkeled through it. It was warmer in the water, than on the boat or island. Of course, as soon as we were on the boat returning to Belize City, the sun came out.

If you are a serious snorkeler and a decent swimmer I would recommend Seasport.

We used Ivar on our last trip to Belize and he was awesome. Went snorkeling. He was in the water leading us--and pointing out things we would have otherwise missed. He gave very good presnorkeling instructions making sure we were careful around the coral to protect it. We then went swimming with the rays and sharks then went to one of the Cayes for a beach lunch. We liked it so much we booked him again for our next trip.

pbuay@yahoo

• 2 months later...
We booked an upcoming snorkel trip to Goff's Caye through Island Marketing. I can report back upon my return. Hoping for a great experience:)!

We booked Goff's Caye through Island Marketing. Loved our day! $40pp includes snorkel gear and rum punch (strong!). Lobster plate was $10, beers I think were two for $5.

Here is my review on it. It should pop up right at post #63.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40766658#post40766658

Let me know if you have any other questions. It really was a great day!

Waves were not big, but you could definitely feel the current pushing you back to the island. Visibility was CLEAR! The water at Belize City looks bad. We almost cancelled on this excursion bc of how the water looked at the port. The guides explained that BC is the lowest point so all the rain water and dirt come down to there. Out on the reef is much different.

Other places I've snorkeled recently,

Trunk bay last March. Visibility 3/5. Reef 4/5. Fish 3/5.

Maya Key, Roatan last Nov. Vis 2/5. Reef 3/5. Fish 2/5. I realize there are better places to snorkel in Roatan and shouldn't hold my score against the entire island. We still had a great day at Maya Key.

Also snorkeled in Coz years ago but don't remember the site. Viz 5/5. Reef 4/5. Fish 3/5.

Hawaii a long long time ago. Shouldn't even really mention bc I don't even know the island. I was a kid, about 7 years old. But I remember the reef was 5/5.

Goff's Caye I would rate Vis 5/5. Reef 4/5. Fish 4/5. There are some bare parts with no reef or fish, but the parts where there are reef is so spectacular. Corals the size of a Fiat. Saw a huge school of blue fish. Just missed an eagle ray. Guide pointed it out. No turtle sightings. Sea urchins the size of basketballs. Those are my fave.

Edited by whataboutport

• 2 weeks later...
I wish you could remember the tour operator. That sounds exactly like what we want. Anything you could look up and check?

When I looked up island marketing they did not mention going to Shark ray Alley and that would be our reason to book. Ecotours is a possibility, but we want as long as possible snorkeling.

We did this same excursion to Cay Caulkner & it was through Coral Breezes tour co. It was okay, but we were held up about 30 minutes waiting on some people who were late so little time other than for lunch on the island itself. Snorkeling guide was great & the stingrays were great, although I had done this before in Grand Cayman with much larger sting rays. Long boat ride though, like 45 minutes each way I believe. You meet at their shop at the pier & go by boat.