Should we still go?

buffetking

I'm booked on the Eclipse for a Baltic cruise next year. In light of recent

events; passenger plane shot down, I'm thinking of canceling. I'm not concerned about passenger safety. I'm just unsure if I want to help support irresponsible countries. Am I silly? What do you think?

No, you are not silly. We all have our own beliefs and conscience and no one should think that you are silly because of those you follow. Saying that, you are the only one that can or should make up your mind to cruise or not to cruise on the itinerary. Sorry, this might not be of much help, but I'm a strong believer in that we are the only one that should decide what course we follow. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I just wish more people thought like yourself. My conscience just wouldn't allow me to even consider going anywhere near Russian ports. Even before the latest outrage, the invasion of Eastern Ukraine and Putins abysmal human rights record is more than enough to boycott! I just hope the Cruise companies themselves consider their position now!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I also wouldn't go, in light of the way Russia is behaving in recent days and weeks. St. Petersburg is really the crown jewell of the Baltics itinerary, doesn't make much sense to do the cruise but stay on the ship. Plus, the port taxes will go to Russia. Personally, since the OP still has time to cancel, I would pick another itinerary for this year and save Russia until they come to their senses (assuming that happens, of course.)

You could still go and just stay on the ship in SP. It is the only Russian port on Baltic cruises. Seems a shame to punish all the countries when only one is responsible.

I would not miss going ashore in spectacular SP and if you stayed on board to "punish" the Russian Govt, they wouldn't even notice. I don't see how paying a few dollars to a local tour guide is "supporting" a government. We have travelled to quite a few countries that we don't agree with their govt/politics but we totally enjoyed our visit. It's a bit of " cut off your nose". I know other people feel different.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Christine Frances

Interesting thread, and I'm not getting involved in any political, gay rights or any other point of view.

We did the Baltics summer 2013 on the Eclipse

Fact 1. The Baltics cruises usually, if not always, includes St Petersburg which setting aside and political arguments is an amazing place to visit. Extremely busy due to the large numbers of cruise ships, but amazing nonetheless

Fact 2. Geographically speaking, the Baltics cruise is thousands of miles from the Ukraine, or anywhere else where there is actually anything going on.

Fact 3. If you stop travelling and stop doing all the things you would normally do, ensuring you don't deliberately holiday in a war zone, the terrorists win.

Maybe us Brits are more fatalistic (or is it realistic) than you guys from the States and Canada, but I doubt you'd find any Brits having this kind of a debate, sorry......no offence intended

Well said. I'll be going to St Petersburg aboard Emerald Princess next week and doing the usual tourist things when I get there.

OP not silly at all. I myself would not take that itinerary because I would stay on the ship in Russia. That IMHO would be a waste of several days of an expensive cruise. I wish X would offer up an itineary that did not stop in Russia. If they did I would be more interested in cruising in that area. Personally I think we have only seen the beginning of what Putin has planned.

Edited by cruisingator2

I will not go on any cruise with Russian stops. Keep in mind that even if you don't get off the ship, the majority of the money that goes to the government is already paid by the cruise line.

With the worries of many people and the others who want to make a personal political ban on the region, NOW is probably the best time to cruise the Baltics with demand and pricing low.

Could be setting up for a great buy.

happy0180_zps42e58677.gif

Edited by Shake

With the worries of many people and the others who want to make a personal political ban on the region, NOW is probably the best time to cruise the Baltics with demand and pricing low.

Could be setting up for a great buy.

This is exactly what I tell all my friends about Egypt right now. Book a standard hotel room, show up and find your self assigned to a suite. Tourist sites, it's like you have them all to your self one-on one. A unique way to experience history for sure.

And the impact you have on the lives of those whose business, tourist shops, hotel, taxi, driver, restaurant, will be impacted FAR more than you may ever imagine during bleak times like now in multiple regions of the world.

Edited by cle-guy