Bringing spice necklaces home to USA

not2old

Have read lots of notes about buying spices in port, but how do you pack them to bring home? I've read that you should put the necklaces in paper bags to keep them from mold, some say to hang them up in your cabin,etc. Will they go thru TSA in a carry on or should the spices/necklaces be placed in paper bags and put in checked luggage? Thanks for any advice...

Edited by not2old

We are just off the Celebrity Summit and I purchased spice necklaces in Grenada. They were put in a plastic bag when I purchased them and I forgot to take them out of the bag on the ship so yes - I had a bit of mold on them. I ran them thru hot water and I think they are going to recover. As for bringing them home - I had them in my carryon bag and had no problems bringing them home that way. I also had lots of other spices which I also brought on my carryon because they were in baskets and I didn't want them to get crushed. Hope this helps - let me know if you have any questions.

We hung the necklaces up in our cabin and when traveling home, just put them into a plastic bag in our checked luggage. No problems whatsoever, when we got home we unpacked them and hung them back up in the kitchen!

We were told we wouldn't be allowed to bring them into Canada because they contain seeds! D'oh! I would have bought some. They smelled really nice. Oh well, I bought lots of spices and vanilla to bring home instead.

Since I bought several, the smell in the cabin got a bit strong! Tried leaving them in ziplock bags, but they started to mold, so hung them up until we packed up - used the ziplock bags to get them home & cleaned up with hot water!

• 2 weeks later...

I had no problem bringing them back to Canada. And no problem getting them through US customs in FLL before I ever got onto my flight to Canada.

Because I had read there could be a problem with bugs marching out of the spice necklaces, I put them onto my arctic balcony for a coupla days when I got home to freezing cold Canada. That would probably also kill any tropical mold issues. Gawd knows, it just about killed me when I got back from the Caribbean.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Strongly suggest buying the Spice Necklaces from a shop rather than buying them from a beach vendor at a less expensive price where they've been hanging out in the sun all day.

LuLu

Thanks for the tip!! Will be there in November...

Strongly suggest buying the Spice Necklaces from a shop rather than buying them from a beach vendor at a less expensive price where they've been hanging out in the sun all day.

LuLu

Do you have any favorite shops?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Have read lots of notes about buying spices in port, but how do you pack them to bring home? I've read that you should put the necklaces in paper bags to keep them from mold, some say to hang them up in your cabin,etc. Will they go thru TSA in a carry on or should the spices/necklaces be placed in paper bags and put in checked luggage? Thanks for any advice...

Beyond the US Customs normal exclusions (which include things as seemingly harmless as sand), do not bring any uninspected or illegal vegetation into or through California (or Hawaii).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...