Grenada Reccomendations!

Taiters91

Hello!

Grenada (St georges) is our 3rd port on our first ever cruise in March!

We have decided to DIY as we keep changing our minds, so we will play it by ear as to what we fancy doing and may book excursions on the ship!

Any recommendations or No go's?

We are 24, newly married, and this is our Honeymoon. Our main aim of the holiday is to relax and enjoy some beautiful sites.

Our main interests would probably be beach resorts with restaurants, shops, maybe water activities or any other recommendations to make the most of the island!

We are also visiting;

Aruba

Bonaire

Barbados

St Lucia

Antigua

We have decided to DIY as we keep changing our minds, so we will play it by ear as to what we fancy doing and may book excursions on the ship! Any recommendations or No go's? We are 24, newly married, and this is our Honeymoon. Our main aim of the holiday is to relax and enjoy some beautiful sites. Our main interests would probably be beach resorts with restaurants, shops, maybe water activities or any other recommendations to make the most of the island! We are also visiting;

Aruba, Grenada, Bonaire, St Lucia, Antigua

Congratulations on your wedding and upcoming "adventure". While we have not been, yet, to St Lucia and Antigua, I can offer lots of ideas and tips for Barbados, Aruba, Bonaire and Grenada. You will have a nice variety of options and potentials in these scenic and varied places. Check out some of my links listed below. Or, you can see many ideas on my live/blog linked below for other Caribbean, etc., potential for future travel.

For "Barbados: Our Pix's, Experiences Feb./2015!", see:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2262999

For "Aruba: Pix's, Fun, Experiences Feb./2015!", see:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2262154

For "Bonaire: Pix's, Fun, Experiences Feb./2015!", see:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2262075

For "Grenada: Pix's, Fun, Experiences Jan./2015!", see:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2263775

Below are a few of my pictures to help build excitement for this upcoming trip. Don't be shy!! Post on my thread any questions, info needs, reactions, etc. Look forward to sharing more.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 32,734 views for these postings.

Before boarding our ship, we did a three-hour private tour with a Barbados cab driver. He took us all over this historic and scenic island, including to the top where the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea come together. Is this dramatic and scenic? Does my wife’s smile say it all?:

Jan15SCStartA18_zps3ohbqq6l.jpg

Aruba's Eagle Beach gets high marks as the top beach on this island. Some even mention it as one of the best in the world. We can understand why. It is about six miles long with amazing sand. Busy, but not too crowded. We came back later in the afternoon via a cab to enjoy its fun, people, sights, activities, etc. At one end of the beach, however, are lots of high-riise hotels/housing. Personally, we prefer more of the low-rise, less-busy settings. The varied shades of the blue waters were so great. We had a fun part of the afternoon to be here. BUT, it was hot this day with a very intense sun. Did we enjoy? See the picture proof!:

ArubaA15_zpsvwtg4wre.jpg

ArubaA17_zps6hduyrh9.jpg

Here are two of my visual samples from being in Bonaire National Marine Park. From water level and with our expert guide, it was very educational to learn more about these interactions with natural life. With the second picture, you can see a nest with two baby green heron chicks. Cute?:

BonaireA16_zpss9foxu9h.jpg

BonaireA12_zps6nfmcnne.jpg

Here is only one sampling for a site as we traveled north from the port/capital of Grenada. Here is a sample of the shore fishing action as people from the village there pull in the nets. We also visited an old estate, got background for the various spices and items from this island, etc.:

Jan15SCStartA34_zpsovcamo0i.jpg

• 1 month later...

TLCOhio, I just read some of your comments in regard to Grenada, which we will be cruising to in April.

I noticed (I love seeing pictures:)) one of your pictures had it where they people had grocery carts, and they were full of something. Were they spices, or something they made, or what? Do they do any bargaining, or have a set price for their products?

TLCOhio, I just read some of your comments in regard to Grenada, which we will be cruising to in April. I noticed (I love seeing pictures:)) one of your pictures had it where they people had grocery carts, and they were full of something. Were they spices, or something they made, or what? Do they do any bargaining, or have a set price for their products?

Appreciate kind comments, interest and good question on Grenada. I assume the picture below is the one to which you are referring. Right? As we were being driven around the island, that was a view that I captured with my camera from the moving vehicle. BUT, we were not stopped and/or walking there to know if and/or how they might negotiated on prices.

This picture was taken in a local village, not in the main, more-tourist focused capital of St. George's. My suggestion would be to ask some of the ship excursion staff on your ship about how things work (or not) for buying such items in these varied Caribbean ports. It might be possible to get a "deal", but I have found from around the world in places such as Istanbul that the actual quality AND price can vary so very much. What things look like is not always the best value/deal. Enjoy your stop there in April. We loved Grenada so very much. Any other questions or info needs?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 131,543 views for this posting.

Here is a typical local town view of the small-scale market/street action there. Notice the sign for their upcoming Independence celebration on Feb. 7? Understand, that this date offers a big PARTY on that day here and the night before.:

Jan15SCStartA52_zps8itebgjm.jpg

TLCOhio, yes that was the picture, and I do understand where you are coming from.

I would like to purchase something from the "natives," but don't want to buy something that would be made in China, Taiwan, etc.

If you can think of anything to tell me that YOU think (yes this is your opinion) we should see, please advise.

Hello!

We have decided to DIY as we keep changing our minds, so we will play it by ear as to what we fancy doing and may book excursions on the ship!

We are 24, newly married, and this is our Honeymoon. Our main aim of the holiday is to relax and enjoy some beautiful sites.

Our main interests would probably be beach resorts with restaurants, shops, maybe water activities or any other recommendations to make the most of the island!

We are also visiting;

Aruba

Bonaire

Barbados

St Lucia

Antigua

I always like to give others the opportunity before I start sounding like a stuck record with my recommendations for my island :cool:

Unique to Grenada:

• We dont have jet skis :)
  • We do have the World's 1st Underwater Sculpture Park which you can snorkel or dive depending on your abilities :D It is in the MPA so more likely to see diversity and quanity there and if the day just doesnt play fair the statues are cool to see
  • We have spices which you an buy in packs for food or on a cool necklace (more like an air freshener which last for ever) :p
  • we have chocolate - no more needs to be said ;)

Want to see the sculptures then you cant go wrong with Grenada Seafaris Powerboat Adventure - excellent reviews and a super fun experience and loads of island information all rolled into one. [believe there are also cruise critic reviews below this thread] Suggest you pre-book this to avoid disappointment

Island tours then you can pre-book or ask one of the Taxi association guys as you arrive on island

Whatever you choose Grenada is the best island and we have the friendliest people in the Caribbean - got to say that as I am one :cool:

Hello!

We are also visiting;

Aruba

Bonaire

Barbados

St Lucia

Antigua

Barbados - lunch and day the Coral Reef Club Hotel. Book in advance. Let the O'Hara's (Budge & Cynthia) know it is part of your honeymoon ;)

Antigua - lunch and the day at Jacqui O's. Book in advance. Let Lance know it is part of your Honeymoon ;)

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Barbados - lunch and day the Coral Reef Club Hotel. Book in advance. Let the O'Hara's (Budge & Cynthia) know it is part of your honeymoon ;)

Antigua - lunch and the day at Jacqui O's. Book in advance. Let Lance know it is part of your Honeymoon ;)

PORT ROYAL - does Coral Reef Club offer day passes?

PORT ROYAL - does Coral Reef Club offer day passes?

Neither have day passes. Just contact and make your own arrangements.

Both will offer a warm welcome, exceptional service, great food, great drinks, use of facilities and a wonderful day.

Enjoy. :)

Hello, is there a beach close by where we can just lay on the sand, not snorkle, or etc.? Can we walk to it from the port, or do we need a Taxi?

Could we get a "native" to take us around for an hour or two to see the ups/downs of Grenada, and can you give me an idea what the cost pp would be?

What would you recommend that is a MUST to see in Grenada?

• 6 months later...
I always like to give others the opportunity before I start sounding like a stuck record with my recommendations for my island :cool:

Unique to Grenada:

• We dont have jet skis :)
  • We do have the World's 1st Underwater Sculpture Park which you can snorkel or dive depending on your abilities :D It is in the MPA so more likely to see diversity and quanity there and if the day just doesnt play fair the statues are cool to see
  • We have spices which you an buy in packs for food or on a cool necklace (more like an air freshener which last for ever) :p
  • we have chocolate - no more needs to be said ;)

Want to see the sculptures then you cant go wrong with Grenada Seafaris Powerboat Adventure - excellent reviews and a super fun experience and loads of island information all rolled into one. [believe there are also cruise critic reviews below this thread] Suggest you pre-book this to avoid disappointment

Island tours then you can pre-book or ask one of the Taxi association guys as you arrive on island

Whatever you choose Grenada is the best island and we have the friendliest people in the Caribbean - got to say that as I am one :cool:

Hello, Island Star. I'm hoping you can tell me whether many of the shops and attractions will be open on a Sunday in St. George's. Thanks in advance!

If I don't say anything else about Grenada, "climbing" up to the top was worth all my time doing it. I am "73" years young (left my friend at the bottom), and walked to the top to see the VIEW from FT. George, and it was worth it! The view is amazing from just about any direction you may look.

• 4 weeks later...
I was looking for whale watching co. any one out there have a suggestion

First Impressions are our whale watching company on island. I would call them and ask them what sort of whale migrations are happening about the time you visit although as with any wildlife see them cannot be guaranteed.

Also bear in mind our drop-off to where they pass our shores is about 4 miles out unlike Guadeloupe or Dominica so there will be a fair motor to get there. I do hear folk see large pods of dolphins on the way though.

Best of luck and don't forget to post back if you book with anyone your experiences on our beautiful island :cool:

Hello, Island Star. I'm hoping you can tell me whether many of the shops and attractions will be open on a Sunday in St. George's. Thanks in advance!

oh my gosh so sorry I missed this question - hope I haven't caused too much of an inconvenience. We love our Sundays and so not a lot is open outside the cruise ship terminal in the way of shops.

If you have a particular attraction in mind like a nutmeg production plant or the chocolate factory I would contact them directly via email to double check.

most of the water tours do work on the weekends.

Hope you have a lovely time on our beautiful island :cool:

oh my gosh so sorry I missed this question - hope I haven't caused too much of an inconvenience. We love our Sundays and so not a lot is open outside the cruise ship terminal in the way of shops.

If you have a particular attraction in mind like a nutmeg production plant or the chocolate factory I would contact them directly via email to double check.

most of the water tours do work on the weekends.

Hope you have a lovely time on our beautiful island :cool:

Not to worry--we don't leave for months! Thank you for the input. I'm sure we will find things to do just walking around town and up to the fort.