You Say To-MAY-to, I Say To-MAH-to...

Raxter54

Just curious - how do you say "Caribbean"? I've heard it pronounced Ca-RIB-ean, and I've heard it pronounced Cari-BEE-an. I usually use the second version, but how does everyone else say it? Is it pronounced differently in other countries? Guess I'm just bored waiting for my cruise :D

Just curious - how do you say "Caribbean"? I've heard it pronounced Ca-RIB-ean, and I've heard it pronounced Cari-BEE-an. I usually use the second version, but how does everyone else say it? Is it pronounced differently in other countries? Guess I'm just bored waiting for my cruise :D

Care-uh-bee-un or Cuh-rib-ee-an. Either is correct. Go with whatever feel comfortable to you.

You won't hear it pronounced Cari-BEE-an on Royal Ca-RIB-ean.:D

In terms of Royal caribbean I say Car-RIB-E-an, but for the Islands and Pirate off I say Ca-ra-BEE-an. The latter is how it's usually pronounced in Australia.

Edited by Jacs

From Wikipedia:

"The two most prevalent pronunciations of "Caribbean" are KAIR-ə-BEE-ən, with the primary accent on the third syllable, and kə-RIB-ee-ən, with the accent on the second. The former pronunciation is the older of the two, although the stressed-second-syllable variant has been established for over seventy-five years.It has been suggested that speakers of British English prefer KAIR-ə-BEE-ən while North American speakers more typically use kə-RIB-ee-ən, although not all sources agree. Usage is split within Caribbean English itself"

From Wikipedia:

"The two most prevalent pronunciations of "Caribbean" are KAIR-ə-BEE-ən, with the primary accent on the third syllable, and kə-RIB-ee-ən, with the accent on the second. The former pronunciation is the older of the two, although the stressed-second-syllable variant has been established for over seventy-five years.It has been suggested that speakers of British English prefer KAIR-ə-BEE-ən while North American speakers more typically use kə-RIB-ee-ən, although not all sources agree. Usage is split within Caribbean English itself"

Correct. I've never heard a Brit say ka-RIB-ee-an:cool:

I have always said it as caRIBean - maybe because I'm from the Pacific Northwest (near British Columbia) and we don't talk with any kind of drawl or accent, and caRIBean is the fastest way to say the word. My midwest in-laws make fun of how fast I say my words but it's normal to me.

From Wikipedia:

Yes. ^^ This. :)

I have always said it as caRIBean - maybe because I'm from the Pacific Northwest (near British Columbia) and we don't talk with any kind of drawl or accent, and caRIBean is the fastest way to say the word. My midwest in-laws make fun of how fast I say my words but it's normal to me.

Canadian, eh . . .

Bob_and_Doug_McKenzie.jpg