Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Colombia

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old December 27th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Mud Volcano in Cartagena

On our recent cruise we did an excursion to the Mud volcano outside of Cartagena. The Mud volcano is the most unique excursion I have ever done. It is a lengthy bus ride to the volcano in which you get to see the richest and poorest that Columbia has to offer.

Once you get to the volcano you must be prepared to walk up fairly steep, slick muddy steps. You are then thrown into a roughly 15 foot by 12 foot "crater" of mud. In our case we were literally head to foot across the entire pool of mud. Some very nice Columbian men rub mud all over you and give you a nice little massage. It was really a neat experience but not for you if you don't like mud or touching by strangers because there is a lot of both.

You then are taken back down the steps(slicker when you have mud all over) to a little stream/lake where some aggressive older Columbian women bathe you from head to toe. This was a both scary and hilarious experience. These women leave no crevice untouched; bathing suits were pulled down water splashed all over it was funny.

Good times, but not for everyone.

Old January 17th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for this info. Did you do the excursion through your cruise line or book it some other way?

I'm interested in visiting Totumo, but there are a lot of other things in Cartagena I want to see. If the trip to Totumo takes all day, maybe I'm better off seeing Cartagena this time and saving Totumo for next time / some day.

MAY 2008 - RCCL EXPLORER OTS - Bermuda

Apr-May 2007 - RCCL VISION OTS B2B - Pacific (LA to Vancouver) and Alaska to Seattle.
Aug 2006 - RCCL Splendour OTS - Greek Isles & Turkey
Dec 2005 - RCCL EMPRESS OTS - Southern Caribbean
Feb 2005 - RCCL Splendour OTS - Western Caribbean
Aug 2003 - Carnival Victory - New York to Canada
June 2002 - RCCL Explorer OTS - Eastern Caribbean
July 2000 - Carnival Sensation - Caribbean
1986 - Disney/Big Red Boat - Florida/Bahamas