Money! Money! Money!

Cangrejo

We are booked to go on the Star Clipper (Singapore to Phuket) on December 13. We have travelled a lot - Mexico and the Caribbean, and a couple of times to Europe - but this is just only our second cruise - the first was over 20 years ago! So we are cruise newbies...

What should we bring for money? We're bringing our credit cards. But should we purchase small amounts of Euros, Singapore dollars, Malaysian ringits and Thai bhats before we leave home? Or should we just assume that there will be lots of ATMs? Would travellers checks in US dollars be easy to exchange?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Also if this topic is covered on another board please redirect us to it. Thanks!

ATM's are everywhere. Get your local currency when you get to each country. I sail on Star Clipper next weekend (Nov. 22) and I'm only bringing a few left over euros, no baht or ringitt. And if you are going to Cambodia at some point on your trip they only take dollars.

Before I leave home I now make sure i have lots of money in my checking account as I have used ATMs in other countries where I cannot get money from savings. The machines defaulted to withdrawals from checking. The first place I had trouble was Thailand. All the screens were in english except the important one. I finally got a local to help after a few days. I have also run into some in Morroco where you could simply not access savings.

• 2 months later...

Many ATM will only accept a 4 digit pin. Call your ATM bank and let them know when and where you are traveling.

You do not want to be overseas and have your ATM frozen because of unusal usage (overseas). Also call your Credit Card issuers.

MSEm

PS I agree Travelers checks are almost unless outside the USA.

Another thing I don't see mentioned. Alcohol on the Clippers is considerabley cheaper than on large cruise ships.

Disagree. Because drinks are priced in euros they are considerably more for Americans. We hardly had any alcohol on our recent Nov. '08 Phuket Star Clipper cruise because of the prices.

We found that the drinks on the STAR CLIPPER were cheaper that on HAL or NCL. The wine was definately cheaper on the Star Clipper and was just a good with a wide selection from different countries.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived