RFID technology in your COKE drinking glass now

http://www.*****.com/2011/04/14/royal-caribbean-wins-rfid-journal-award-soda-package

Royal Caribbean wins RFID Journal Award for soda package

In:

14Apr2011

Royal Caribbean won a 2011 RFID Journal Award for Best Use of RFID to Enhance a Product or Service. The award was for Royal Caribbean's use of RFID technology to enable guests to prepay for unlimited soft drinks, and to then serve themselves fountain beverages without having to wait on a service bar line.

soda.jpgRoyal Caribbean's RFID readers are built into the soda fountains that have antennas installed in the drip trays.

Royal Caribbean's director of fleet beverage operations Bob Midyette claims each beverage container has a built-in near-field EPC Gen 2 RFID inlay from Alien Technology. Back-end software confirms the guest's ID number and allows the fountain to dispense a 16-ounce drink.

"The system allows us to improve service to our guests," Midyette explains, "and enhance sales with something that feels like magic."

Does that mean you now have to carry around those cups with you all the time?? How unpractical!!! or is there a chip in you card?

No, you can still get a drink at any bar by showing your card. This is only set up by the pool so if you do have your cup, then you can just help yourself without waiting in line at a bar.

Erika

They had it on the Majesty.

I saw it there too, its a great idea. When I use to buy the soda package, the worst part was trying to get a refill from bartenders pool side, they all but ignored you with one of those cups in your hand.

I saw it there too, its a great idea. When I use to buy the soda package, the worst part was trying to get a refill from bartenders pool side, they all but ignored you with one of those cups in your hand.

I think pax loved it and I'm guessing bar staff too. I would think the increased sales (b/c people buy again after they'd stopped buying b/c of the hassles of bartenders ignoring you or the kids) would offset the cost of people drinking more soda than normal (cheap) because it's handy.

But it must have failed RCCL test b/c it hasn't moved forward. Not all things tested that pax like go forward or every ship would have a Compass Deli.

I think pax loved it and I'm guessing bar staff too. I would think the increased sales (b/c people buy again after they'd stopped buying b/c of the hassles of bartenders ignoring you or the kids) would offset the cost of people drinking more soda than normal (cheap) because it's handy.

But it must have failed RCCL test b/c it hasn't moved forward. Not all things tested that pax like go forward or every ship would have a Compass Deli.

I wonder if they might also be considering that faking RFID signals are getting more prevalent? Usually with credit card fraud, so I'm not sure if anyone could/would take the time to hack a soda fountain, but you never know. People have done far more to get much less.

Archived