Fort Myers to Miami...please help!!

Has anyone flown into Fort Myers and cruised out of the Miami? This is my first NCL cruise out of Miami and the flights are $200 pp less if we fly into Fort Myers. (the drive will suck after a 4 hr flight but saving that much money is worth it) I tried FLL but that's not any cheaper either.

The return flight from Fort Myers would be at 3:45pm...so I have a few logistical questions...

1) Would there be enough time to get off the ship (it docks at 8am), rent a car and drive to Fort Myers to make the flight?

2) And how do you go about renting a car when you get off the ship?

3) Any recommendation for a particular car rental place?

Thanks!

It's 150+ miles and closer to 3 hours. Plan on close to 4 hours with the rental car pickup and drop off. From Miami, you drive north to I-75 (which runs west from Fort Lauderdale), then west across the Everglades to the Naples area and then North close to 50 miles to Fort Myers. You should have enough time, but it will be a long day.

It takes me about 2.75 hours to drive to Fort Meyers from Fort Lauderdale beach. Miami is further. I think you can make it, but be sure to opt for walking your luggage off the ship yourself so that you can get off early in case there are any disembarkation delays. I'm not sure where to get a rental car from the port but I'm sure someone here will know. Maybe start a new thread specific to that.

In the evert that there are many passengers like you getting a rental after the cruise it may be crowded and take you an hour to pick up your rental car. Still you should have plenty of time to get to Ft Myers. Consider how much it's worth to you....cost of rental car, driving time, etc.

Did you check fares into PBI (palm beach)? Quite often they are more reasonable and it isn't as far as Ft Myers. Also check what your fare would be flying into Ft Myers but out of Ft Lauderdale or Miami. That's easy to do on Orbitz, just select the "multi city" option.

We are flying into Ft Myers and out of Lauderdale when we cruise in Dec, but that is because we are spending 3 days on Sanibel Island pre-cruise. Got lucky as we booked months ago and got it for something like $275 each, round trip. (out of DTW).

Archived