Tortuga rum cakes?

cravingthis

You might even check the DF stores on the ship. Many cruise lines also carry these rum cake

Yes, exactly what I was going to say. Check out the price onboard first (duty free, remember) and then at your ports. The duty free shop will always be available for you if you find the island prices aren't any better.

We also have found them on the ship for the same price that they were asking on the islands.

I agree with the others. They are for sale on the ships and I have also seen them at airports.

I'll look for them once I get on the ship, it's great to know they're selling for the same price, makes really nice souvenirs!

Geocruiser - what a great store and price. Unfortunately, we won't have a rental car. If I had known sooner, I would have placed an order in advance and had it delivered to our hotel, but now they may have them in the gift shops onboard!

Does anyone like them? They have more flavors than when I first bought them about 5 years ago!

Those little cakes are a rip-off. $11.99 for 10oz at 40%?? 10z is a little bit over a cup. You'd be paying $9.60 for a cup of cake, at a discount.

If you'd like, make them yourself with some Island rum you bought on your trip, pack them pretty and give that away as a souvenir.. Google "Bacardi Rum Cake", the recipe is all over the internet...

Change the flavor of the cake mix as you wish... I omit the nuts altogether, have made it with vanilla and chocolate and both came out fantastic (Try making it chocolate and serving with strawberries and chocolate ganache :eek:)

1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

1 package cake mix **

1 (3 3/4-oz.) package instant pudding and pie filling

4 eggs

1/2 cup cold water

1/2 cup oil or melted butter

1/2 cup rum

Glaze:

1 stick butter

1/4 cup water

1 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup rum

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Grease and flour 10-inch tube or 12-cup Bundt pan.

Sprinkle nuts over bottom of pan.

Mix all cake ingredients together.

Pour batter over nuts.

Bake 1 hour.

Cool; invert onto serving plate. Prick top with fork.

Spoon and brush glaze evenly over top and sides.

Glaze:

Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar.

Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, and remove from heat.

Stir in rum (let cool a little so that it won't evaporate!).

You may decorate with whipped cream before serving.

** If using yellow cake mix with pudding already in the mix, omit the instant pudding, using 3 eggs instead of 4 and 1/3 cup oil instead of 1/2.

PS - Don't mean to be ultra cynical without cause ... but next time, check the label to see where they're made... I think they're distributed straight from Miami!

I'll look for them once I get on the ship, it's great to know they're selling for the same price, makes really nice souvenirs!

Geocruiser - what a great store and price. Unfortunately, we won't have a rental car. If I had known sooner, I would have placed an order in advance and had it delivered to our hotel, but now they may have them in the gift shops onboard!

Does anyone like them? They have more flavors than when I first bought them about 5 years ago!

Forgot to tell you that I have also seen them in just about every island I have been to, not just St Thomas.

To answer your question about liking them...I do not. We brought one home from our last cruise, 2 sons and their wives and me all thought it wasn't very good but I am sure lots of people must like them.

I hate cooking, baking, etc. but I love shopping - I buy cakes! In fact, we had one for dessert last night - DD brought one home from Jamaica on Monday. It was great.

I figure the bakers, cooks, etc. need people like me to buy the products they make - it works great for both of us!!! :D

Mia, I never thought to make a chocolate rum cake...it'll be on my menu this week! Thanks for the idea.

Personally I think the Tortuga mini cakes are crazy expensive too, but edible souveniers are so appreciated and easy.

Caribbean Rum Ball company in St Thomas now makes rum cakes. Packaging not as fancy, but they're supposedly more tasty than Tortuga, and they're a little bit cheaper. They have vanilla, chocolate, and marble flavors.

The pizza shop across from Havensight dock (Pizza Amore) sells a rum cake by the slice that seems to be made with the Barcardi recipe. Boy is it ever good! I always have a slice of cake with my slice of pizza!

I dont know if you will be in Barbados, but in the port shopping area is a rum cake place called Calypso Rum Cakes and they are fantastic, and one 2 pound cake is $20.00, so it is a pretty good price compared to to Tortuga cakes. I'm sorry I only got one.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived