Hotel Location in Hong Kong

wcc19

We will be in Hong Kong before the start of a cruise and I'm looking for opinions on whether to find a hotel in Kowloon or on Hong Kong Island. Is one of those preferable to the other for a couple of days pre-cruise? Our ship departs from the Kai Tak terminal so being close to the Ocean terminal is not a consideration.

IMHO...............

On the mainland - at the tip of Tsim Sha Tsui.

Treat Salisbury Road, between the cross-harbour Star Ferry terminal and Nathan Road, as ideal - right amongst the shops, restaurants etc, and handy to the ferry.

Best value here is probably the 3+ star Salisbury Hotel, upper floors have harbour-view rooms at the front.

Or on the island - at Wan Chai.

Yee Wo Street is right amongst the local shops & restaurants, so treat that as the centre. But a bit of a walk from there to the Wan Chai ferry terminal. Closer to the ferry terminal is reclaimed land, plenty of high-rise hotels but streets there are pretty featureless, just for traffic - shops & restaurants in that area are modern, accessed by high-level walkways.

"Central" also has a long elevated walkway from the shopping centre to the Central ferry terminal (a good transport hub), out on reclaimed land. Lots of big modern shops & malls, but we find it pretty bland and international. That's why we prefer the mainland side.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

We have stayed twice at the Harbour Grand Kowloon. It is not in the main - hustle/bustle area of Kowloon, but just outside in the more residential area of Hunghom. It is RIGHT ON the banks of Hong Kong Harbour with a promenade and incredible views of the harbour. Exceptional service. Just a few minutes walk to a Star Ferry terminal along the promenade. Hotel also offers shuttle service to the Penninsula Hotel area. And cabs are cheap and plentiful too.

As for me, I would always stay in the Kowloon area over Hong Kong Island. Plus you want to look over to Hong Kong Island and the buildings and light shows from your hotel.

Joe

We stayed at the YMCA Salisbury, reasonably priced. Next to the Peninsula Hotel and the HOHO bus stops across the street. Star Ferry and Ocean Terminal are a couple of blocks away. Check it out on Trip Advisors.

We have also stayed at the YMCA Salisbury a few years back, and agree that it is at a good location. Our last visit in HK (August) we stayed at the Grand Hyatt on HK side for two nights, Intercontinental for two nights and then one night at the Hyatt Regency TST. The Grand Hyatt in Wanchai is a great hotel but not as convenient to the MTR, etc. Airport Express free shuttles from the HK station do get you there at the doorsteps. Intercontinental is great if you can get a harborview room and the service there was incredible. We found the Hyatt Regency TST to be the most convenient with the airport shuttles, K11 Mall and MTR station right underneath the basement. Shopping, restaurants, etc. right outside. Get a club room if possible, the view from the lounge is amazing!

We stayed at the YMCA Salisbury Hotel last April and it was a great location. So handy to everything since the MTR station entrance is just outside the side entrance to the hotel, and it's only two blocks to the Star Ferry. It's a very nice hotel, small rooms but clean and nicely serviced. They do a good breakfast. There are plenty of good restaurants nearby and the MTR underground walkways are a great way to get around that area, especially if the weather is hot or showery. This hotel is excellent value for money.

I've stayed in Hong Kong a number of times over the years, sometimes in Kowloon, other times on Hong Kong Island. Location-wise this was certainly the best.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

We will be in Hong Kong in a couple weeks staying pre cruise and have booked the Hotel Icon on the Kowloon side. They are ranked #3 on Trip Advisor, and the rates are good for Hong Kong. Breakfast is included in the rate.

Kimberly,

Can you get back to us when you return---let us know how the hotel was? Will be there in 2018 and would love info on good hotels--Thanks, Denise

Denise - yes we will post our hotel experience when we return from our trip next month. Have fun with your vacation planning.

I have stayed on both sides and prefer Kowloon because you can stroll in evening and lots happening. Island side you can only go short distance on walks the rest is mall style.

Rates are higher on island. We have stayed at the Grand Hyatt Kowloon six times. Well priced excellent buffet breakfast small rooms but great view and right in the hub of things as well as easy walk to Ocean Terminal shops.

We will be in Hong Kong in a couple weeks staying pre cruise and have booked the Hotel Icon on the Kowloon side.

We've booked it for post-cruise, next month :D I'm looking forward to it (even if 2 nights there is more expensive than our 5 nights in Singapore:rolleyes:)

We have stayed twice at the Hotel Icon on Kowloon - closer to your cruise terminal than the others mentioned (but further from the airport and Star Ferry terminal).

It is close to the Hung Hom metro station and many restaurants/bars on Salisbury Road. If you don't mind walking, the Star Ferry terminal is about 15/20 minutes walk from the hotel.

The club rooms have access to the Above and Beyond Lounge for breakfast and cocktails (excellent). Would recommend the hotel.

We have stayed twice at the Hotel Icon on Kowloon - closer to your cruise terminal than the others mentioned (but further from the airport and Star Ferry terminal).

I realize you were responding to the OP, not me, but we are docking at Ocean Terminal, so for us, the proximity to Icon is a bonus:D

And we do have a club room booked....

We have a club room booked as well. Looking forward to all the amenities. Especially the airport pickup after a long flight from Chicago.

We're ending our cruise in Hong Kong so we'll just get the car to the airport - we've tried twice to make the reservation for that (as requested by email after we made the hotel reservations) and they can't get it right. We will try to fix it upon arrival....

Several recommendations for YMCA hotel on here, booking pre cruise room based on that. However, what are the best options for Airport Transfer to here.

Also best options anyone may know of for transport from YMCA to Cruise Port Terminal?

Thanks much in advance for your help!!

Several recommendations for YMCA hotel on here, booking pre cruise room based on that. However, what are the best options for Airport Transfer to here.

Also best options anyone may know of for transport from YMCA to Cruise Port Terminal?

Thanks much in advance for your help!!

From airport to YMCA--Take the Airport Express to Kowloon Station, then take the complimentary shuttle K2, get off at Stop 4: Kowloon Hotel and Peninsula Hong Kong. YMCA is right next to the Peninsula.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/complom_free_bus.html

From YMCA to Kai Tak Cruise Terminal--easiest is to take a taxi.

From airport to YMCA--Take the Airport Express to Kowloon Station, then take the complimentary shuttle K2, get off at Stop 4: Kowloon Hotel and Peninsula Hong Kong. YMCA is right next to the Peninsula.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/complom_free_bus.html

From YMCA to Kai Tak Cruise Terminal--easiest is to take a taxi.

Thanks much for your help!!!

• 2 weeks later...
We stayed at the YMCA Salisbury Hotel last April and it was a great location. So handy to everything since the MTR station entrance is just outside the side entrance to the hotel, and it's only two blocks to the Star Ferry. It's a very nice hotel, small rooms but clean and nicely serviced. I've stayed in Hong Kong a number of times over the years, sometimes in Kowloon, other times on Hong Kong Island. Location-wise this was certainly the best.

Appreciate these various helpful suggestions. Have looked at the option of the YMCA Salisbury Hotel. Yes, it has a great location!! We are getting ready for our first trip to this part of the world in early 2018, planning to fly into Hong Kong, do about three days there, before flying to Hanoi to do our main focus of Vietnam, Mekong River cruise, Cambodia, Laos and Bangkok.

We will not be coming into Hong Kong for a cruise, nor sailing out from this key port. Will fly in, do a little R&R from our long trans-Pacific flight and wanting to get a small, initial sample of Hong Kong and nearby in just roughly three days.

From the New York Times Travel Section this week, they have this headline: "In Hong Kong’s Kowloon, the Markets Rule" with a number of highlights including about the market-place action here. This story noted: "focused my energy on the Kowloon peninsula, which is a bit grittier and less touristy than Hong Kong Island, just a few thousand feet away across Victoria Harbor."

So my key question!!?? What are the various pro/con factors to consider for staying in Kowloon . . . versus . . . Hong Kong Island? Clearly both areas have some nice hotels, great views, places to eat and see, etc. How do I evaluate and compare these two options for our limited time in Hong Kong? Love to hear more reactions and comments about these various trade-offs.

Great suggestion on Hotel Icon. Checked it and they are worth considering. Did notice these comments from Trend in comparing both sides: "I have stayed on both sides and prefer Kowloon because you can stroll in evening and lots happening. Island side you can only go short distance on walks the rest is mall style. Rates are higher on island. We have stayed at the Grand Hyatt Kowloon six times. Well priced excellent buffet breakfast small rooms but great view and right in the hub of things as well as easy walk to Ocean Terminal shops."

NY Times Story Link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/23/travel/hong-kong-kowloon-markets-budget-travel.html?contentCollection=weekendreads&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=c-column-middle-span-region&region=c-column-middle-span-region&WT.nav=c-column-middle-span-region&_r=0

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 161,682 views for this posting.

I stand corrected it may be the Hyatt Regency it is TST area The K9 shopping mall. Very small number of shops but lots happening.

Stand by my comparison of the two sides, one ou are going between shopping malls on escalators only a few places to walk and lots of traffic. The other has some malls markets and shops open late at night.. The sites on Hong Kong side are easy to reach by ferry or rapid transit. Prices are better for the same type of hotel room on th Kowloon side.

Kimberly,

Can you get back to us when you return---let us know how the hotel was? Will be there in 2018 and would love info on good hotels--Thanks, Denise

Denise - we had a fabulous stay at the Hotel Icon, and would highly recommend this hotel. The room was wonderful, with a very comfortable bed, and we had a great view of Hong Kong Harbor. Included in our room price was breakfast for two, free minibar, and a phone with free calling to the US (which was nice for checking in at home). The staff was very friendly, remembering us by name during our interactions, and we received a lovely email from the staff member who checked us in (which took place in our room which was wonderful after a long flight from the states).

While it is not in the heart of the action in Kowloon, there is a train stop right around the corner, so it was easy to access anything we wanted to do.

We would definitely stay here again if we find ourselves in Hong Kong again.

Denise - we had a fabulous stay at the Hotel Icon, and would highly recommend this hotel. The room was wonderful, with a very comfortable bed, and we had a great view of Hong Kong Harbor. Included in our room price was breakfast for two, free minibar, and a phone with free calling to the US (which was nice for checking in at home). The staff was very friendly, remembering us by name during our interactions, and we received a lovely email from the staff member who checked us in (which took place in our room which was wonderful after a long flight from the states). While it is not in the heart of the action in Kowloon, there is a train stop right around the corner, so it was easy to access anything we wanted to do. We would definitely stay here again if we find ourselves in Hong Kong again.

Appreciate this helpful update and added info from your stay at the Hotel Icon. This hotel is on my potential list to consider for our early 2018 first visit to Hong Kong. Keep up the great sharing. Any added insights for the various pro/con factors to consider for staying in Kowloon . . . versus . . . Hong Kong Island?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 23,801 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

• 2 weeks later...

We just spent 2 nights at Hotel Icon post-cruise and LOVED it. Didn't hurt that our Club Harbor room was upgraded at check-in to a Junior Suite. My goodness! We found it very easy to navigate around town from the hotel (and the hotel has a shuttle to a couple of locations - one is a subway, though it's only a 12 minute walk as well) The room was comfortable, staff incredible, and the amenities were enjoyed by us :D

As far as where to stay - you could say it depends on what you want to do, BUT taxis are affordable and the subway is cheap & easy to use, so to us it's not a crucial matter. We really do enjoy a nice hotel room and club room amenities so we're often willing to pick hotel over location....

Edited by Hoyaheel

I'm reading this thread with interest... hope I'm not hijacking the thread by saying...

We are booked into the Shangri La Kowloon at the end of a cruise, does anyone know this hotel? We have gone for a Horizon room (similar to club class I think) harbour view...

I'm hoping the hotel is in a good position as we don't have that much time in HK.