San Diego. Where to stay and what to see

wendyp247

If you stay on Hotel Circle you'll need a car. But taxis are relatively cheap as San Diego is rather compact.

Not sure why you would recommend Hotel Circle. Staying in the near port downtown gets lots of activities, and a pretty good trolley system, along with buses, and taxis.

Plus there are lots of recommendations for hotels in the Harbor area.

If you are there on a Sat., there is a great Farmer's Market in Little Italy and lots of places to eat. Lots of hotels close to the airport, waterfront, and Gaslamp District. Lots of walkable places to eat and shop. Old Town and the zoo are a bit further, but an easy taxi or uber ride.

We've been San Diego several times and it is a great city to spend some time pre- or post-cruise. In addition to some of the excellent ideas already mentioned, we have been the USS Midway several times, and enjoy it so much we spend much of the day there. The historic ships in the Maritime Museum are also excellent. The Old Town area is also a great place.

We've stayed near the bay, and have found the local trolley and bus very easy to use. We've only rented a car when we are in San Diego prior to going to Palm Springs.

Not sure why you would recommend Hotel Circle. Staying in the near port downtown gets lots of activities, and a pretty good trolley system, along with buses, and taxis.

Plus there are lots of recommendations for hotels in the Harbor area.

Did I recommend any hotel there? I just said that if they book there they'd need a car.

Did I recommend any hotel there? I just said that if they book there they'd need a car.

Come on. When someone asks for recommendations for a hotel and someone says "if you stay at this (insert name here) hotel" it is assumed that the reason for making that statement was to answer the question. You didn't mention any other hotels and whether or not they would need a car so it is reasonable to believe that is what you meant. Otherwise, what was the point of posting?

Surely you didn't plan on listing every hotel in the San Diego area and whether or not a car would be needed at those hotels.

Hotel Circle is an area. Sadie was stating you need a car if you stay in Hotel Circle because it is removed, by a little bit, form the main attractions, city center, and other areas of interest.

That is why I made the comment. Given the remoteness, why mention Hotel Circle? Given the inconvenience, why stay there? Sadie is right- I have stayed there, and probably won't stay there again- because you need a car.

So many of the recommendations on this board are for the Harbor area. In the Harbor area you will need a car for some of the more remote sites- Safari, for example. But for most of the attractions commonly recommended on the many threads on San Diego, if you stay in the Harbor area, the worst you need is a taxi. The transit and trolley system is great, and, for many, walking is just fine.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Hotel Circle is an area. Sadie was stating you need a car if you stay in Hotel Circle because it is removed, by a little bit, form the main attractions, city center, and other areas of interest.

That is why I made the comment. Given the remoteness, why mention Hotel Circle? Given the inconvenience, why stay there? Sadie is right- I have stayed there, and probably won't stay there again- because you need a car.

So many of the recommendations on this board are for the Harbor area. In the Harbor area you will need a car for some of the more remote sites- Safari, for example. But for most of the attractions commonly recommended on the many threads on San Diego, if you stay in the Harbor area, the worst you need is a taxi. The transit and trolley system is great, and, for many, walking is just fine.

Sorry my mistake. But, like the OP, I am unfamiliar with the area and didn't even think that Hotel Circle meant an area somewhere in San Deigo and not a particular hotel. Not sure how any out of towner would.