Tropical Storm Joaquin's effect on Breakaway cruise 10/4

Mikkar

Um, they do owe me something, I paid for a service and they owe that service to me. Also how do they have to be fair? LoL are the fair police going to come get them if they don't?

Under the contract, they owe you a cruise. The destination can change, the amount of days can change.

What's hysterical is when those who book a cruise during hurricane season get get upset if/when a hurricane or tropical storm actually happens and expect the cruiseline to reimburse them for missing ports or changing their route.

Under the contract, they owe you a cruise. The destination can change, the amount of days can change.

I agree, they do owe me a cruise. Like I said before, customer service. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with contracts or litigation or whatever everyone keep babbling to me about. At some point you should just realize I don't care about the contract and if I'm not happy with a resolution to a problem I will take my business elsewhere. To this point NCL has been nothing short of fantastic when I've had an issue, I expect that to continue.

Edited by SilentHill

What's hysterical is when those who book a cruise during hurricane season get get upset if/when a hurricane or tropical storm actually happens and expect the cruiseline to reimburse them for missing ports or changing their route.

exactly!

I agree, they do owe me a cruise. Like I said before, customer service. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with contracts or litigation or whatever everyone keep babbling to me about. At some point you should just realize I don't care about the contract and if I'm not happy with a resolution to a problem I will take my business elsewhere. To this point NCL has been nothing short of fantastic when I've had an issue, I expect that to continue.

aren't you supposed to be on a cruise ship & enjoying life and not arguing customer service obligations! 😜

Canceling a cruise after final payment appears to be a situation where NCL doesn't budge (and they shouldn't). After realizing this, I always made sure to buy travel insurance. Bad customer service would be re-booking or refunding people who canceled after final payment. That's why you have insurance.

Yeppers!! We took a chance and booked two b2b cruises on NCL Gem out of San Juan to Southern Caribbean next year Oct 2016.

Yeah, we took a chance. But we'll take what they offer if the original itinerary diverts.

Last year Oct 2014 we had to cut our vacation short by a day when Hurricane Fay blew in. We were able to fly off island on the next day, and were lucky that the Italia train (Milan to Venice) and hotel in Venice helped change without penalty. I emailed them as soon as we got email from AA about flight cancellation and rebooking (no penalty).

We live up in the hurricane alley ... so storm happens.

Just being on a ship is all that should matter! No work, no cooking, just deciding what to wear and where to go..is just fine with me. We just got off last week. Bermuda was very hot and humid, and I spend most of the time on the ship.

Um, they do owe me something, I paid for a service and they owe that service to me. Also how do they have to be fair? LoL are the fair police going to come get them if they don't?

So,,, you signed a contract when you checked in for your cruise. NCL will abide by the terms of the contract. So should you. Sorry if you clicked "agree" without reading it.

Ok let's set the record straight here.

NCL is a company that offers a service. Every service company known to man has to keep its customers happy. This is a fact.

....then I must be king troll.

1. You didn't.

2. Under this philosophy, you should be able to call up your Life Insurance company and argue successfully that even though you're not dead yet, there's a really nice car you'd like to buy...and since insurance is a competitive business, if they want yours...they'll settle the policy early. Like others have said "ain't gonna happen". How do we know? Because CRUISE Insurance is a big industry. If the cruise lines made "customer service" exceptions here, there, and everywhere....then nobody would buy cancellation insurance.

3. I didn't say that.... but I distinctly remember reading it somewhere, recently.

Stephen

You're coming to Bermuda, one way or other. If not, you're heading to the Bahamas.

I'm a bit surprised at the people who think they would be heading to Canada and worrying their heads off about warm clothes, etc. Mr. Damn Joaquin is heading AWAY from the Bahamas and towards (to pass by) Canada via Bermuda, so there is NO way for BA to head to Canada.

SAFE SAILS to you. Drink Dark 'n' Stormy on the ship!

By the way, the seas around Bermuda become calm as soon as Joaquin moves away from Bermuda, especially along the south shore. See you (the ship) on Wednesday!!

Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the seas is headed up to Canada. They left yesterday from Cape Liberty. It's a 5 day and their only stop now is St. John

Canceling a cruise after final payment appears to be a situation where NCL doesn't budge (and they shouldn't). After realizing this, I always made sure to buy travel insurance. Bad customer service would be re-booking or refunding people who canceled after final payment. That's why you have insurance.

Agree that would be terrible customer service especially to those who didn't complain and got nothing and not one bit fair either. That would say that people who don't read the contract or don't think its worth the paper its written on are special cases. Geez. I hope this type of cruiser does take their business elsewhere because by them demanding refunds or credits they don't deserve and getting it would result in a fare increase for the rest of us.

NCL if you credit squeaky wheels while not compensate the cruisers who read their contract and accepted the consequences of the weather I for one would be very disappointed in you!!!

In my experience, NCL doesn't lead the pack in providing refunds/OBC for changes. We were scheduled to leave NYC the Sunday after Hurricane Irene direct hit NYC, on the Gem to Bermuda. The ship didn't leave until Monday. We were able to high-tail it to have all three days in Bermuda, but lost a full day at sea.

NCL offered $100/CABIN OBC across the board. I don't recall if it was refundable or not, since it was so paltry that we spent ours. For a cabin of three, where it was a good $150-$200/person per day, we came out the losers. Lesson learned. We still sail NCL, but trip insurance is standard for us now.

Hurricane Joaquin is virtually smacking Bermuda at this moment, eye of the storm now to the west of the islands, spinning counterclock-wise - Dockyard's life webcam is up & streaming live ... it's been beaming that special message for the Breakaway across the screen, as noted above

"To: Captain NCL Breakaway ... Take your time ... we have weather here!"

Hurricane warnings in effect and conditions will improve later this evening/tonight after the storm pass over & begin to pull away. NHC/NOAA forecast warned of rough seas & waves 600 miles away for the US mainland.

BDA's forecast for tomorrow improving, seas outside the reef up to 14 ft. and decreasing gradually, Tuesday's conditions will improve - those on the BA sailing at 2 AM leaving Pier 88, expect a bumpy ride in rough seas and windy conditions ... have indoor plans at sea. Waterfront & outdoors would probably be closed until conditions improved, maybe not till Tuesday. Showers are forecasted for the rest of the week in Bermuda - urgh, that's not good - but, you are still on a cruise.

Monday & Tuesday will hopefully be full recovery time for folks on the islands and hopefully, any storm-related damages can be quickly & safely restored ... wind is really picking up at Dockyard if you switch to the live webcam & enable audio.

P.S. Just checked oceanweather data for waves/current - closer to US mainland, expect 15 to 20' seas but closer toward BDA, looking at 20' to 30' seas (possibly higher) depending on how the Captain chart & plot his course for the BA, going to be a fun ride ... start those sea/motion sickness regiments, if not already if you are known to be prone to it.

Edited by mking8288

Everything seems to be well here. As mentioned here and other places, we have a lot of wind and the water is rough. There isn't much rain at the moment but I'm sure rain is out there somewhere. I haven't heard of any emergencies of any sort so that is good.

Norwegian Breakaway, see you soon.

Can you get of the ship??

Love the Top of the Empire State Building @ night.:):)

Not getting off. They locked up tight at 3 or 4 as if we were sailing away.

Terminal agents went home .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not getting off. They locked up tight at 3 or 4 as if we were sailing away.

Terminal agents went home .

Sitting in taste restaurant looking out at empty terminal

Funny, we were going to book this cruise yesterday but decided not to. We love wave action and you guys will be sailing right into it.

40 foot seas out there right now. That's why you aren't leaving.

We prefer the Gem so we have a front row seat to watch the waves break over the bow.

I realize this is pretty pathetic but I'm desperate! If anyone is on the Breakaway with me right now - Oct 4 - I somehow left behind an item that I desperately need!!

If anyone has a bottle of Miralax that they are willing to sell to me please call me or find me - I'm in 14754!!!! I will pay good $$$$!!!

Thank you!!

PS if only sea sickness cured "that" too - lol.