sunday laws for selling wine ft lauderdale ?

Ascott318

Are there laws in Florida as far as selling wine before noon on a sunday ? We are flying into FLL on sunday morning about 10am. My son would like to buy a bottle or 2 of wine to take with us.Do the grocery stores sell wine in Ft lauderdale ? If so is there anywhere between airport and cruise port to have taxi driver stop ? Thanks for any info

It is my understanding you can't buy alcohol in Florida until after Noon on Sundays.

I don't know about South Florida, but here in Central Florida you can by wine on Sunday before noon. I grocery shop Sunday mornings and always purchase a bottle or two.

I found some ABC Fine Wine and Spirits shops in the Fort Lauderdale area that are open before noon, so my guess is if they are open, they are selling.

10798 PINES BLVD PEMBROKE PINES: open Sunday 10am - 9pm

2611 NW 124TH AVE SUNRISE FL: open Sunday 11am - 8pm

Click here, scroll to the bottom of the page, enter a zip code and select either nearest 5 Stores or Stores Within 50 Miles.

Publix super markets has a store locator too. Click here and enter your search criteria.

I did a store search for Publix in the Fort Lauderdale area around the airport and found one at 1940 Cordova Rd Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316 phone # (954) 847-2844. They are open Sundays from 7am - 10pm. Call them and ask about Sunday wine sales.

Ok, I've been doing some research on this and there are differences based on county and city laws within Florida. That's why my last post I stated I don't know about South Florida.

Fort Lauderdale does not allow alcohol to be sold from 3:00 a.m. to noon on Sundays. But there appears to be a battle brewing over this law. Bars and restaurants across Fort Lauderdale will be able to serve alcohol on Sunday mornings, possibly beginning as early as this weekend.

See:

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2011/01/04/14307/

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2011/02/16/fort-lauderdale-to-allow-sunday-morning-alcohol-sales/

I don't know about the cities of Pembroke Pines and Sunrise other than there is a liquor store in each that is open before noon.

Google maps shows the distance from the Fort Lauderdale Airport to:

Pembroke Pines store is 13.4 miles/26 minutes

Sunrise store is 16.9 miles/ 25 minutes

You are going to have to go out of your way to find a store because the Airport and the Port are about 2 miles apart with nothing in between. Hopefully, you can find a cab driver that knows of a place nearby.

Happy Shopping!

P.S. I called the Publix in Fort Lauderdale and they said no wine sales until noon. But that may change here soon.

It is my understanding you can't buy alcohol in Florida until after Noon on Sundays.

It is not ALL of Florida. The law varies (in some instances) from county to county, city to city. In Broward County (in which Ft. Lauderdale is located) alcohol is sold only after 12PM on Sundays. However, since the last few months, restaurant establishments may sell alcohol before noon on Sundays in Broward County. I do not know about any other county.

You still cannot buy alcohol including wine and beer before noon in Fort Lauderdale. There are plenty of stores that sell wine that are open before noon, but they will not sell you wine. Only in the last year have restaurants been allowed to serve mimosas at brunch but that has nothing to do with alcohol sales in stores. I don't know about Pembroke Pines or Sunrise laws but they are a far drive so that is not a feasable plan if you don't have a car.

Getting back to the original posters question, our experience has been that one cannot purchase wine in Fort Lauderdale prior to 12:00 Noon and that is the area the Original Poster was asking about. If anyone knows this to be different then they should post. Again, the question is not about other parts of Florida nor about what time the store is open.

Keith

In March 2011, we were at least 25 cruisers standing in line to get in to Total Wine when the opened at noon on a Sunday. Some had taxi meters running and were less happy about it. The rest of us were peering in the windows to plan our route map. I had already found what I was looking for in the last aisle so it was a quick run in and out.

Getting back to the original posters question, our experience has been that one cannot purchase wine in Fort Lauderdale prior to 12:00 Noon and that is the area the Original Poster was asking about. If anyone knows this to be different then they should post. Again, the question is not about other parts of Florida nor about what time the store is open.

Keith

1.) As for other parts of Florida:

If you have ever looked at a map of theFort Lauderdale area you will see the area is one gigantic urban area made up of numerous small cities. Pembroke Pines and Sunrise are very near Fort Lauderdale. I stated that in my 2nd post that the Pembroke Pines store is 13.4 miles/26 minutes and the Sunrise store is 16.9 miles/ 25 minutes from the airport.

My point being that if the OP really really wants to purchase wine before noon, the OP is going to have to travel to a neighboring city to do that.

2.) As for what time the store is open:

A liquor store is not going to open and NOT SELL liquor. I'll bet dollars to donuts on that statement.

3.) As for If anyone knows this to be different then they should post:

I posted that as of now "Fort Lauderdale does not allow alcohol to be sold from 3:00 a.m. to noon on Sundays. But there appears to be a battle brewing over this law. Bars and restaurants across Fort Lauderdale will be able to serve alcohol on Sunday mornings, possibly beginning as early as this weekend."

Check out the two links I provided in my 2nd post on this thread.

4.) I also stated that I called the Publix in Fort Lauderdale and was told no wine sold before noon on Sunday. But check out the news articles and you will see that may change soon.

1.) Pembroke Pines and Sunrise are very near Fort Lauderdale. I stated that in my 2nd post that the Pembroke Pines store is 13.4 miles/26 minutes and the Sunrise store is 16.9 miles/ 25 minutes from the airport.

2.) As for what time the store is open:

A liquor store is not going to open and NOT SELL liquor. I'll bet dollars to donuts on that statement.

3.) As for If anyone knows this to be different then they should post:

I posted that as of now "Fort Lauderdale does not allow alcohol to be sold from 3:00 a.m. to noon on Sundays. But there appears to be a battle brewing over this law. Bars and restaurants across Fort Lauderdale will be able to serve alcohol on Sunday mornings, possibly beginning as early as this weekend."

Pembroke Pines may be near Ft. Lauderdale (only 13 miles), but that is a long round trip (26 minutes each way) from the port area just to buy alcohol. By the time the round trip was made, cruisers could just wait until nearby stores started selling at noon.

Also, you memtioned ABC Liquors in your earlier post. ABC does sell more than just alcohol. They also sell gourmet cheeses, gourmet cold cuts, pates, crackers, cigars, glassware, party supplies, etc. Their stores in Broward County that open at 11AM on Sundays may be selling these items, but they surely are not selling alcohol until noon.

Also, as myself and also RoyalCruz have stated in previous posts, restaurants in Broward county have already been selling drinks such as mimosas and bloody mary's before noon for quite some time now. I know this as fact as I am a server in a restaurant that does so.

Pembroke Pines may be near Ft. Lauderdale (only 13 miles), but that is a long round trip (26 minutes each way) from the port area just to buy alcohol. By the time the round trip was made, cruisers could just wait until nearby stores started selling at noon.

Also, you memtioned ABC Liquors in your earlier post. ABC does sell more than just alcohol. They also sell gourmet cheeses, gourmet cold cuts, pates, crackers, cigars, glassware, party supplies, etc. Their stores in Broward County that open at 11AM on Sundays may be selling these items, but they surely are not selling alcohol until noon.

Also, as myself and also RoyalCruz have stated in previous posts, restaurants in Broward county have already been selling drinks such as mimosas and bloody mary's before noon for quite some time now. I know this as fact as I am a server in a restaurant that does so.

Good point that ABC Liquors sell items other than liquor, so I called that particular store and asked about Sunday liquor sales. The gentleman I spoke to said that each municipality in South Florida has different laws. I asked specifically about Pembroke Pines and he said they sell liquor at 10 am.

I agree that a 26 minute ride is a ways to go. I mentioned it so the OP could determine if the trip was worth it to them. All depends on your priorities for wine. Some people may think it not worth the time, others would take the trip in a heart beat.

I guess what makes this whole discussion convoluted is that every little municipality has their own rule as to what is acceptable for Sunday sales. And South Florida is one gigantic conglomeration of small municipalities. No wonder there is so much confusion!

So the real question is for the OP. How far are you willing to go, or how long are you willing to wait for a bottle of wine? :D

It seems you have a couple of options: 1-take a cab to Pembroke Pine and do a little sightseeing or 2-wait for noon and take a short ride to Publix. Then there is what's behind door #3 - screw it, I'm going straight to the ship and start my vacation!

Please let us know your plans. After all this arguing (yes they do, no they don't) inquiring minds want to know!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Then there is what's behind door #3 - screw it, I'm going straight to the ship and start my vacation!

Please let us know your plans. After all this arguing (yes they do, no they don't) inquiring minds want to know!!!!!!:rolleyes:

I'd take what's behind door #3 on this. I'd rather just buy wine on the ship instead of killing a couple hours (while another 2000 people get in line ahead of me) and spending needless taxi money to go to a local wine store.

Maybe I should move to Ft Lauderdale and open a Party Store right beside the Park N Fly LOL.

Archived