Gay cruise ship docks in Dominica; two passengers arrested for buggery

Ken_W

That's the headline from Dominica News Online which I found from following the link on Joe My God It appears to be the current Atlantic cruise chartered to Celebrity.

The article in Dominica News Online states, in part, "Information reaching DNO indicates that homosexual cruise ship passengers alleged to have been involved in public sexual acts are in police custody at the CID Department.

The police were called in after the men were seen publicly engaging in sexual activity.

"One individual with information on the matter told DNO that “they were informed of the laws of Dominica and they were well aware that their acts would be considered a criminal offence.

"Police Chief Cyrille Carrette has confirmed that two males from California, John Robert Hart and Dennis Jay Mayer, have been charged with buggery and indecent exposure and are expected to appear in court on Thursday morning."

Blogger Joe Jervis' reporting of the story questions whether the alleged sexual activity in question occurred on the deck of the ship the ship and witnessed by people on shore, and exactly what was witnessed that was interpreted as "sexual activity".

Personally, I had very little interest in the Caribbean before this, and now I have even less; it's just never held much interest for me. There will no doubt be much more on this story that will come to light, but I thought this forum would be a good place for the information, as many people use information from this forum to make travel plans.

Thanks for posting. I was on a Southern Caribbean cruise last October that stopped in Dominica and I thought it was the most lovely place. But we do have to remember that the people on these islands - especially the poor ones - aren't necessarily as enlightened as some of us.

If the activity was taking place on the ship, the Dominican authorities would have no jurisdiction. It would be interesting to know what the sexual activity was - depending on what was going on, it could get people in trouble in the US too.

An update from

http://www.thedominican.net/2012/03/men-charged-with-buggery.html

The local police claim the men were engaged in "buggery and indecent exposure" while on board the ship.

The Atlantic Cruise is scheduled to leave Dominica tonight. The two men are scheduled to appear before a judge on Thursday morning.

The Dominica press is silent, as far as I can tell, about the specifics as to what "indecent acts" the two men are supposed to have engaged.

An article on "Da Vibes" adds that Chief of Police Cyrille Carrette has stated that arrangements for the two men's repatriation are already in place.

Is there anybody from CC on this Atlantic Cruise? I'm wondering what the passengers may know about what's going on...

Does anyone know which Celebrity ship Atlantis has chartered for this cruise? And in what country is that ship registered? I'm having a hard time coming to grips with Celebrity security allowing local police on board to arrest people for committing a "crime" which may not be a crime in the ships' port of registration. (I know the sea lawyers out there will all have opinions on that one!)

An update from

http://www.thedominican.net/2012/03/men-charged-with-buggery.html

The local police claim the men were engaged in "buggery and indecent exposure" while on board the ship.

The Atlantic Cruise is scheduled to leave Dominica tonight. The two men are scheduled to appear before a judge on Thursday morning.

The Dominica press is silent, as far as I can tell, about the specifics as to what "indecent acts" the two men are supposed to have engaged.

An article on "Da Vibes" adds that Chief of Police Cyrille Carrette has stated that arrangements for the two men's repatriation are already in place.

Is there anybody from CC on this Atlantic Cruise? I'm wondering what the passengers may know about what's going on...

Does anyone know which Celebrity ship Atlantis has chartered for this cruise? And in what country is that ship registered? I'm having a hard time coming to grips with Celebrity security allowing local police on board to arrest people for committing a "crime" which may not be a crime in the ships' port of registration. (I know the sea lawyers out there will all have opinions on that one!)

How did the arrest occur? Did they board the ship(I would think not) We were there last year & found the island to be the most unspoiled we've seen. I tend to think this was "trumped" up by the local cops & these two guys had gotten off the ship & made an "example" of. I'd like to think we're all a little above that sort of behavior on these islands. We cruise to the Caribbean often & refrain from PDA'S. I'm a bit surprised that Atlantis didn't warn people to be on their guard on this(or other islands)Seems to be Planetout going for the money over their customer's safety.

Celebrity Summit, registered in Valetta, Malta.

I know a few people on the cruise who are CC members but they have not posted much lately.

It's reached the Huffington Post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/21/gay-cruise-passengers-arrested-sex-caribbean-dominica_n_1371096.html?ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

This would be shame if it is indeed true that they were seen ON the ship and were arrested. I imagine this will have an impact on the upcoming Baltic cruise in St. Petersburg. I can see them handing out some kind of pamphlet the day before arrival to the port warning passengers that the city is not gay-friendly and to use caution.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/03/california-men-on-a-gay-cruise-arrested-for-sex-in-dominica.html

But if they were in fact being seen having sex by someone on the dock, as stated in the article, they brought part of the problem on themselves.

Like anything else once you leave the waters of the US, you're playing by someone elses rules, not necessarily ones you are used to or beleive in.

From my understanding, the cruise ships must follow the laws of any country that is within 12 miles of that ship. Outside of that it becomes a bit murky

A country's internal waters -- areas like bays and ports -- are a part of that country. So when a ship is docked at the Port it's laws apply to the ship, its passengers and its crew.

Almost all of a nation's laws also apply in its territorial waters which extend up to 12 miles from its coastline A ship departing from a U.S. port cannot open gambling activities until it's 12 miles out, since gambling is illegal in most parts of the United States.

A nation has limited jurisdiction in its contiguous zone -- the area 12 miles to 24 miles from its coast. A country has certain rights within that zone, such as patrolling its borders. For instance, within 24 miles of the U.S. coast, the U.S. Coast Guard is allowed to board any ship suspected of drug smuggling, regardless of which flag it's flying under.

Once a ship is 24 miles from any coastline, it's on the high seas (or international waters). With the exception of certain rights within the contiguous zone, the law of that ship is the law of the country whose flag it's flying.

Having read what the owner of Atlantis said about this it is obvious the man doesn’t care about his passengers safety. Only how much money he can get.

I am glad I figured this out before I booked.

Is it true Atlantis and RSVP are owned by the same guy?

Yeah, a friend who is an expert in maritime law just confirmed your observations. They very could have been looking for an example to prosecute under the buggery law.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/03/california-men-on-a-gay-cruise-arrested-for-sex-in-dominica.html

But if they were in fact being seen having sex by someone on the dock, as stated in the article, they brought part of the problem on themselves.

Like anything else once you leave the waters of the US, you're playing by someone elses rules, not necessarily ones you are used to or beleive in.

From my understanding, the cruise ships must follow the laws of any country that is within 12 miles of that ship. Outside of that it becomes a bit murky

A country's internal waters -- areas like bays and ports -- are a part of that country. So when a ship is docked at the Port it's laws apply to the ship, its passengers and its crew.

Almost all of a nation's laws also apply in its territorial waters which extend up to 12 miles from its coastline A ship departing from a U.S. port cannot open gambling activities until it's 12 miles out, since gambling is illegal in most parts of the United States.

A nation has limited jurisdiction in its contiguous zone -- the area 12 miles to 24 miles from its coast. A country has certain rights within that zone, such as patrolling its borders. For instance, within 24 miles of the U.S. coast, the U.S. Coast Guard is allowed to board any ship suspected of drug smuggling, regardless of which flag it's flying under.

Once a ship is 24 miles from any coastline, it's on the high seas (or international waters). With the exception of certain rights within the contiguous zone, the law of that ship is the law of the country whose flag it's flying.

Having read what the owner of Atlantis said about this it is obvious the man doesn’t care about his passengers safety. Only how much money he can get.

I am glad I figured this out before I booked.

Is it true Atlantis and RSVP are owned by the same guy?

It's the main reason I do not patronage this company(Planetout/Here media) Profit above people??

It's the main reason I do not patronage this company(Planetout/Here media) Profit above people??

As I told you before: PlanetOut never owned Atlantis. :rolleyes:

And pray tell what your beef would be with RSVP? It was previously owned by PlanetOut and now by Atlantis and the only issue I recall seeing about them in the press is that they almost went under (you know, like not making enough profits).

It is bad enough that the two men were arrested on board the ship, but worse how Atlantis responded.

President Rich Campbell, who is aboard the cruise, said in a phone interview earlier that he thought the two men would be released. He later said in an email that the company has organized many trips to Dominica and would "happily return."

"Many countries and municipalities that gay men visit and live in have antiquated laws on their books," he said. "These statutes don't pose a concern to us in planning a tourist visit."

Campbell said he expects the two men to be released on Thursday and that they only face misdemeanor charges.

"The guests actions were unfortunate but minor in this case and have no bearing on our overall guest experience," he said via email. It departed for St. Barts without the men, who are being held in a cell at police headquarters in the capital of Roseau.

Unbelievable!!

It is bad enough that the two men were arrested on board the ship, but worse how Atlantis responded.

President Rich Campbell, who is aboard the cruise, said in a phone interview earlier that he thought the two men would be released. He later said in an email that the company has organized many trips to Dominica and would "happily return."

"Many countries and municipalities that gay men visit and live in have antiquated laws on their books," he said. "These statutes don't pose a concern to us in planning a tourist visit."

Campbell said he expects the two men to be released on Thursday and that they only face misdemeanor charges.

"The guests actions were unfortunate but minor in this case and have no bearing on our overall guest experience," he said via email. It departed for St. Barts without the men, who are being held in a cell at police headquarters in the capital of Roseau.

Unbelievable!!

Between this story and paperclip.gif Atlantis still going to St Petersburg I doubt I would ever go on a crusie that has anything to do Rich Campbell.

I'm surprised they don't do a new detective series with Angela Lansbury on Atlantis cruises - something seems to happen on every one. A suspected suicide on one in February, a drug dealer arrested last year, a 40-year old GLAAD board member died of a heart attack on 2009...

...Stay tuned for St. Petersburg this Summer. Miss Lansbury, get your Jessica Fletcher costume ready.

I'm surprised they don't do a new detective series with Angela Lansbury on Atlantis cruises - something seems to happen on every one. A suspected suicide on one in February, a drug dealer arrested last year, a 40-year old GLAAD board member died of a heart attack on 2009...

...Stay tuned for St. Petersburg this Summer. Miss Lansbury, get your Jessica Fletcher costume ready.

Angela is about 100 so not sure if she'll be game for the cast, how about Liza Minelli in the lead role with one of her ex gay husbands as the comic relief sidekick?

Hi Johnny -

Glad you like the idea. Actually, we could get Angela Lansbury to team up with Liza Minelli, and then throw Joan Collins into the mix - sort of a gay, geriatric Charlie's Angels, getting gay cruisers out of trouble on chartered liners.

I see you're in Dutchess County - if you go to the NYC thread here, we're talking about a LGBT cruise happy hour on April 20, probably near Grand Central.

I know this thread is about Domenica, so apologies for a side topic. To quote the late, great Sophia Petrillo, "But I digress".

Thanks I'll take a look at that thread

Bottom line I guess on this topic to me isn't about Atlantis. If people are stupid enough to be naked and having sex in a public place in a foreign country, you need to be ready to deal with the consequences. It's simple respect for the people around you. If you want to have sex go to your room, not in a public place.

I've been to a lot of countries in the Asia and particularly the Mideast where I don't agree with ther rules and regulation, but I do RESPECT them and follow them while I'm there, they have the home court advantage.

According to the articles I read, these men were SEEN having sex from the shore. They may well have brought this on themselves if they were having sex on their balcony. Still, the reaction from Rich is sadly typical of his ethics and a bad reflection on Atlantis.

As I told you before: PlanetOut never owned Atlantis. :rolleyes:

And pray tell what your beef would be with RSVP? It was previously owned by PlanetOut and now by Atlantis and the only issue I recall seeing about them in the press is that they almost went under (you know, like not making enough profits).

Sorry. They(Planetout )did go under & was bought by Here network. I've nothing against RSVP except their prices. I still wouldn't do an all gay cruise. Just not our thing. If the events that occurred had been on a mainstream cruise, I'll bet none of this would have happened. The country knew this was a gay charter from the beginning & were looking for a reason to prosecute.

Archived