How Many Pieces of Luggage Do YOU Carry for a 8 Night Cruise?

monicakm

OK, I keep reading about people taking an overnight bag and that's it! Really? I couldn't take just an overnight bag for an overnight trip across town! First week-long cruise...7 pieces of luggage. That included 2 garment bags, train case (for makeup), a large tote, an overnight on wheels and two suitcases. Second week-long cruise...ditto and we (two of us) used all the clothes. Try as I may, I can't think of anything we could do without for this cruise (one week). We may not use some of the just in case/emergency things but sure as I don't bring it, we'll need it :o DH will have 5 pair of shoes (I'm only bringing 4<g>) Probably could do without one pair each but there's always that "what if". Duct tape (I've never used it but what if....), flashlight, extension cords, alarm clock, tablet, camera, phones, topical and oral first aid, meds, sunglasses, makeup mirror, blow dryer (I know the ship has one), my own pillow, toiletries. It's a good thing we have a large car! What do you think the average number is? I thought there might be a limit now. It's been 9 years since we've cruised. Princess said no limit other than what you can fit in your cabin :) All the pieces nest so it easily fits under the bed. I feel it's a tad excessive but not sure I can survive on less

OK, I keep reading about people taking an overnight bag and that's it! Really? I couldn't take just an overnight bag for an overnight trip across town! First week-long cruise...7 pieces of luggage. That included 2 garment bags, train case (for makeup), a large tote, an overnight on wheels and two suitcases. Second week-long cruise...ditto and we (two of us) used all the clothes. Try as I may, I can't think of anything we could do without for this cruise (one week). We may not use some of the just in case/emergency things but sure as I don't bring it, we'll need it :o DH will have 5 pair of shoes (I'm only bringing 4<g>) Probably could do without one pair each but there's always that "what if". Duct tape (I've never used it but what if....), flashlight, extension cords, alarm clock, tablet, camera, phones, topical and oral first aid, meds, sunglasses, makeup mirror, blow dryer (I know the ship has one), my own pillow, toiletries. It's a good thing we have a large car! What do you think the average number is? I thought there might be a limit now. It's been 9 years since we've cruised. Princess said no limit other than what you can fit in your cabin :) All the pieces nest so it easily fits under the bed. I feel it's a tad excessive but not sure I can survive on less

DH & I typically travel with two regular large suitcases (24"/22" size) and two backpacks. That's all we've taken on our cruises of 24 nights down to 7 nights. Less than 7 nights, we only take one suitcase & both backpacks.

I carry 3 bags just for myself. 1 suitcase, 1 carry-on and a tote or large purse. So, I think that 7 bags for 2 of you is only a little too much. And you're the ones who have to carry them, so I say go for it,

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

We usually take two aircraft size carry ons for a 14 day cruise . We budget for laundry during the middle of the cruise.

One 29" suitcase, one rolling carry-on, and one tote for durable medical equipment for all cruises---regardless of length or destination.

My longest cruises are in the 30-35 day range, with the usual length at least over 20 days. Itineraries have included going from the tropics to Antarctica on the same cruise.

Traveling by myself for a while, and in Europe cobblestones and trains are far from luggage-friendly, I've learned pretty fast to pack necessities only.

Medications - more than needed. What if we get stranded somewhere? It happens. Clothing: 2 bottoms, one of them plain black, and the tops, a couple of them to wear on formal nights. 2 pairs of shoes and flip-flops if needed. Basic cosmetics and electronics.

We take one 24" suitcase for both, and carry-ons as needed.

We usually take a 24" for each of us, plus a small rolling carry-on for valuables and stuff needed during the flight. If going on a cruise longer than 7 days, we usually add one 21" suitcase, depending on what we are doing (like needing our snorkel gear) or if we will have several different climates to deal with.

I can and have cruised for a week with just a 21" carry-on size plus a large purse/tote, but prefer to have a few more options.

One 20" spinner carry-on and one daypack each for 2-week Panama cruise. We did check one additional carry-on for three people for a 2-week South American/Cape Horn cruise, with down vests and other warm clothes we wound up not using, and one additional dressup outfit apiece where we really could have worn the first outfit a second time.

The spinners and daypacks are all my husband and I take for any vacation, sea or land. But we travel a lot and have reduced to this plan over about 25 years!

Depends on where we go. We've taken as little as 2 suitcases and 2 carry ons to be shared with 4 people. And as much as 1 suitcase and 2 carry ons per person.

Weather, formal nights, and if we intend to do a cruise tour generally dictate the amount of luggage.

Traveling as a family with 2 kids makes it impossible to get by with just a duffle bag, but if I were still single I could possibly make it happen.

Edited by Lerin

I lack the same amount of clothes regardless of if it's a one week holiday or a 4 weeks holiday, I just rotate the clothes more often on a longer trip. On the 10 day cruise we just did a felt I overpacked as we only had to take a short domestic flight and I wasn't planning on buying souveneers, so I filled my typical rolling suitcase when I would usually leave it half empty. I had 3 port day outfits that I mixed and matched, and I splurged and had a different outfit for each night. Usually I would wear each one at least twice. I also don't take all my makeup, I take basics and maybe a couple of lipsticks to change it up. I don't need all my lotions and potions for a week away, and rather than taking multiple things I find something that does it all.

For instance you list taking phone, flashlight, alarm clock. Your phone will act as all these things, so leave the alarm clock and flashlight at home. No one remembers the clothes or accessories you wear, take ones you can wear a couple of times and cut down how many clothes you pack. If you want to take a tote for the beach pack it empty into your suitcase and just use your carryon to take what you need in the plane or boarding day.

seriously?!

WITH high end formal wear( DH is in his Military Mess Dress Uniform and I am in a floor length gown) one garment bag, one large suitcase and our carry ons( he will either use the luggage c/o or a camel back and I either have my large ish purse or a beach type bag) for anything up to 10 days. I wear a pair of sneakers or slip ons, and pack one pair of sandals and one pair of dressy shoes. he brings sneakers and maybe 2 pairs of shoes. and yes that includes one case for makeup, one for my meds/toiletries, the camera, our kindles, cells and chargers. we have a battery operated LED light to use as a nite light in the bathroom, have a battery operated travel alarm clock that takes up zero space and I think in the bottom of my purse there is a small LED flashlight.

Never been anywhere that 1 suitcase per person and 1 carry one wouldn't suffice. Hawaii, we share a suitcase.

Do a land trip to Europe, you'll be cured pretty quick ;)

Same here. I add my purse. Peru, Ecuador, we shared a suitcase and replaced one roller carry-on with a daypack.

One 28" rolling suitcase and a rolling garment bag holds most of our clothes and then we take our laptops in backpack type cases. On our last cruise, I also took an overnight bag--mainly because my king-size pillow was taking up a lot of room on my side of the suitcase.

One suitcase each and one briefcase for technology items we carry on the plane and one small carryon in lieu of a purse is the absolute most we'd need for Europe or the Caribbean, even for a 3 week cruise. I try to pack the absolute least needed and still wind up with at least 1 outfit I never wore on the trip.

One 21" suitcase each plus one tote bag.

Traveling light is easier if you have ever done a land-based trip, moving by train every couple of days, but I really became a light packer after several episodes of late arriving or totally lost luggage. If you think it's hard to cruise with one suitcase, try doing it with what you can pick up in ports.

With my lost luggage episode, I found my insurance only paid $300... Barely replacing luggage. Read your policy before you pack expensive cameras, jewelry etc.