salmon?

bones774

Whats a fake bagel?....Is that like saying smoked salmon isnt real lox?

It's means a poor, frozen imitation of what you would get from a good bagel bakery. Honestly, people who come from most places wouldn't notice the difference, but people from New York would.

It's means a poor, frozen imitation of what you would get from a good bagel bakery. Honestly, people who come from most places wouldn't notice the difference, but people from New York would.

I have trouble getting a good bagel here in New Jersey:o

Having been born and raised in NY, I really, really miss my bagels. They say it is the water in NY that makes them the best.

That's a scary thought.... scene from National Treasure just popped into my mind... "Sir, it's the Hudson.... NOTHING is visible!"

NJ, you stalking me again??? I never said that NYC gets its water from the Hudson... it was a joke.... ;)

Not 100% accurate, during drought times water is drawn from the Hudson. Not a pretty thought. Happened not too many years ago.

"In 1952 the City responded to a drought by attempting to seed clouds above the Catskill reservoirs; in 1981 the City consumed 20 MGD of New Jersey water delivered by a large pipeline cabled to the lower deck of the George Washington Bridge. In droughts of 1985 and 1989, New York City used the Chelsea Pumping Station to tap and filter upwards of 100 MGD of the Hudson River. As recent as 1999, the City entered drought emergency stage III (of IV) and banned outdoor water use and water-dependent air conditioners operating below 79°F."

Having been born and raised in NY, I really, really miss my bagels. They say it is the water in NY that makes them the best.

I was born and raised in NY and never had a bagel until I moved to Arizona. Now I am talking about the rest of the state (western NY) not New York City.

Hey Know...... We have some good bagels in SF we can tell if somethings bad:D

But I know what you mean the store bag type:eek:

ROFL laughing, than I'd say the majority of your cruise food is "fake" :D

Here in New York City, H & H Bagel on the East Side went out of business. MOST bagels in NYC are now fake!

Getting back to smoked salmon, if you are in a suite, you'll have it at the buffet in Cagney's every morning. There is a 'smoked salmon' on brioche on Cagney's lunch menu, but it's not what you think it is. It's the most delicious salmon steak that they have smoked in the kitchen. My husband had it every lunch we ate there.

And back to NYC water, for years we won national awards for best tasting water. Then about 5 years ago (!) there was an outbreak of e-coli in Chicago or somewhere, and NYC started over-chlorinating (IMHO) the water. Hasn't been the same since.:(

The best bagels come from Katz's in Chelsea, Ma. They've been in business since the 1930's. My parents would buy them hot out of the oven.

I think that most NCL ships have smoked salmon on the buffet or MDR breakfast menu. I have also seen pickled herring served in the buffet. MMMM YUMMY.

The best bagels come from Katz's in Chelsea, Ma. They've been in business since the 1930's. My parents would buy them hot out of the oven.

I think that most NCL ships have smoked salmon on the buffet or MDR breakfast menu. I have also seen pickled herring served in the buffet. MMMM YUMMY.

Salmon is found in someway at every meal, tartar, smoked you name it.

The bagels were just like the supermarket frozen ones, the cheap no name style <G> Very thin hard and you have to toast them to soften them at all.

I am in upstate NY and we have very real good places but we do have some ok ones. Just got back from NYC and LI and had some very good ones.

Yes I ate them on the ship, I just like them better than toast, but calling those a real bagel is a stretch or maybe a crime.

Archived