Msc Opera to home port in Havana, Cuba!!

Mikesa1721

Hi TV

MSC have done this before and they do not have the best track record in these situations.

Annie

Thanks Annie. Not something I wished to here.

What I find most annoying is that I booked this cruise on May 30th- that is just 5 weeks ago. I cannot accept for one moment that the powers that be in MSC commenced all the contracts with port authorities, regulatory agencies, service providers etc since that date. I would assume that at the time I booked the move to Cuba was at the advanced stage of negotiations if not finalised. To me that is unethical trading. I accept MSC's reason - they are heading to Cuba to get leader advantage but at the same time they cannot have their cake and eat it.

I know I will most likely be offered another cruise but because this is a repo the flights are useless or at least one of them is. Secondly MSC must understand also that cruises are booked by folk when they are free to go. I may not get leave for the cruise they may offer me. They also may offer a refund!

As regards independently booked flights. Surely MSC must realise if they sell cruise only and they were not offering fly/cruise on this sailing they must realise that passengers will now have flights that are completely useless. At least if you were doing a r/trip itinerary you could use the flights and turn a cruise into a land based holiday.

My TA agent says that it is the norm for cruise lines when this happens that they do (a) refund flight costs or (b) pay amendment fees to flights that meet a new cruise. I have looked at that for an alternative cruise ex Venice but Ryanair do not have flights to meet that cruise. So I would have to book flights on the new!!!

Another problem is that what ever I am offered I cannot take anything in 2015 which means I could only travel in 2016 which means that the current flight booked has infants on it but these will be kids in 2016.

All I want and I think I am reasonable in this is (a) a move to an alternative cruise that suits me in terms of ship, itinerary and dates (I will even forfeit one or two days duration!) and (b) any flight amendment cost to be borne by MSC. I don't want OBC, future cruise discounts etc.

In summary I just want my next MSC cruise to cost be no more than what this one would have cost.

Interesting to read MSC T&Cs

It is not clear if this is a booking change or a cancellation. I think it is academic!

10. BOOKING CHANGES EFFECTED BY THE COMPANY

10.1 Arrangements for the cruise are made many months in advance by the company. Very occasionally it may be necessary to alter them and the company expressly reserves the right to change the arrangements for the cruise or Package, should such changes become necessary or advisable for operational, commercial or safety reasons.

10.2 In the event of a significant alteration to an essential term of the contract, the company will inform the Passenger or his/her travel agent of such change in writing as soon as reasonably possible.

The Passenger will be offered the choice of:

a) accepting the alteration; or b) booking another cruise from the brochure of equivalent or superior quality, if available; or c) booking another cruise from the brochure of lower quality, if available, with a refund of the difference in price; or d) cancelling and receiving a full refund of all monies paid.

10.3 The Passenger must notify the company of his/her decision in writing or via his/her travel agent within 7 days of receiving the notification of alteration.

11. CANCELLATION BY THE COMPANY

11.1 The company reserves the right to cancel any cruise at any time by giving a written notice to the Passenger.

11.2 If the cancellation is by virtue of a Force majeure and or due to any unusual or unforeseeable circumstances beyond the company’s control, the consequences of which could not have been avoided by the company even though it has exercised all due care, the company will offer the Passenger the choice of:

a) receiving a full refund of all money paid; or b) booking another cruise from the brochure of equivalent or superior quality at no extra cost, if available; or c) booking another cruise from this brochure of lower quality, if available, with a refund of the difference in price.

11.3 If the cancellation is due to reasons other than those indicated in 11.2, the company will offer the Passenger the same choices as detailed in 11.2 plus compensation, if appropriate, of €10 per Passenger per night of the duration of the cruise.

11.4 The Passenger’s decision must be notified to the company in writing or via their travel agent within 7 days of the notice of cancellation

What constitutes booking another cruise from the brochure of equivalent or superior quality at no extra cost?

What is superior? Longer cruise, better class ship, better cabin? Does this mean that one could feasibly transfer their cancelled cruise to a Worldie?

I think the sentence in red about flights is interesting.

15. FLIGHTS

15.1 The company is unable to state the identity of the carrying airline or the aircraft type. all flights will be operated on scheduled or chartered services of recognised airlines. In those circumstances the air ticket payment needs to be made by the company in advance and is non-refundable under any circumstances. cancellation by the Passenger at any time will result in the air fare cost being payable by that Passenger regardless of the cancellation provisions with regard to the cruise.

15.2 The Passenger will receive confirmation of flight timings and routes with their travel documents,which will be sent out approximately 7 days before departure.

15.3 For travel on dates other than those published in the brochure or on a particular carrier or routing a higher fare may apply in which case the Passenger will be notified before booking.

15.4 The company is not the air carrier or an operating air carrier as defined by The civil aviation (denied boarding, compensation and assistance) regulations 2005 (the “2005 regulations”). The obligations under these regulations for compensation are exclusively those of the air carrier and/or operating air carrier and all claims relating to cancellation, delay or denied boarding in respect of air transportation must therefore be made to the relevant air carrier.

15.5The company shall have no liability under the 2005 regulations such liabilities being entirely those of the air carrier to whom the Passenger must address all claims. In exercising their rights under the 2005 regulations the Passenger must seek to take as much of the contract as possible and must not prejudice the company’s rights under these booking conditions or in law.

15.6where air carriage is included in the contract, the company will advise Passengers of flight timings from data supplied by the air carrier as part of the holiday documentation. The flight schedule is for information only. The Passenger’s contract of carriage and the rights and obligations arising under it remain with the air carrier. It is the Passenger’s responsibility to ensure arrival at the airport in sufficient time to check in and board the aircraft.

If the contract does not include flights, it is the Passenger’s responsibility to obtain a valid ticket direct from an air carrier suitable for and in time for travel to the vessel (and including local transfers which the Passenger must arrange). The company shall not be responsible for any liabilities arising in respect of flights or transfers arranged by the Passenger.

Ok so MSC put the onus on me to arrange my own flights and I assume the underline portion refers to a flight failing to connect with the ship and not that MSC take no responsibility for flights that are lost because of their itinerary changes. Or am I being naïve?

So they claimed but TBH there were so many rumours circulating on board the ship. It was alleged that H/O made the decision before Divina reached NYC.

JMO - the jury is out.

Annie

That's right, Annie .......... as those in Bermuda were advised to board in NYC - hence MSC HAD decided before getting underway to the island. Though they may have been tracking the development and progress of a storm in the vicinity and didn't want those boarding in Bermuda to miss the TA :confused:

I remember seeing that itinerary and considered it as I'd like to visit Bermuda. I'm sure there were a lot of very disappointed people onboard that crossing!! I've booked a cruise in January specifically to visit a particular island and I'm now mentally preparing myself in case circumstances prevent the ship from making it!

TV ................. I can imagine your frustration - I've been there! Though, fortunately the TA was able to get around the situation re the flights booked. I can't remember how, but I think the route cancellation occurred very soon after booking so maybe that was why the TA could cancel the flights :confused:

I did cruise move but waited nearly 6 months for the remaining balance of €100 to be refunded from MSC. The subsequent booked cruise date was then moved to a week earlier date!! We were ok as we're not time constrained, but I thought at the time that I'd never cruise with MSC again!! Having read of experiences by those with other companies, I've realised it's across the board. I do hope you get something sorted out, though. Having flights booked really ties you and, as you point out, the cruise companies don't always offer fly/cruise packages which leaves you with less than useless tickets should an event like your's occur :mad:

Even if we are not discommoded financially I hope MSC offer a cruise that we are interested in doing and one is 'suitable' weather wise for the time of year. A Canary cruise in December is a far superior cruise weather wise than a West Med in December - from that perspective alone it will be almost impossible to offer a like for like cruise. Fair enough to cancel some one from a MSC Poesia East Med cruise and transfer them to a Muscia East Med cruise. But changing cruising regions is a different situation. I have a feeling MSC will transfer us to the 11 night cruise on the Fantasia departing 4 days later. We have cruised on her before and we don't like the ship that much preferring the Lirica class ships!

Even if we are not discommoded financially I hope MSC offer a cruise that we are interested in doing and one is 'suitable' weather wise for the time of year. A Canary cruise in December is a far superior cruise weather wise than a West Med in December - from that perspective alone it will be almost impossible to offer a like for like cruise. Fair enough to cancel some one from a MSC Poesia East Med cruise and transfer them to a Muscia East Med cruise. But changing cruising regions is a different situation. I have a feeling MSC will transfer us to the 11 night cruise on the Fantasia departing 4 days later. We have cruised on her before and we don't like the ship that much preferring the Lirica class ships!

Hi TV

I agree Lirica class is preferable to Fantasia class.

You are also correct - in another article I read this Cuba move has been 6 months in the planning:

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/msc-opera-to-be-based-in-havana-for-winter-2015-16.html

BTW the Cuba cruises are not aimed at the UK market.

Annie

.............the Cuba cruises are not aimed at the UK market.

Annie

That's surprising, considering that there are direct flights to Cuba from both the UK and Ireland. Perhaps MSC aren't aware of that? Though, I think they're really pushing hard for a slice of the US market where there is huge interest in Cuba as a new Caribbean destination and they've got a headstart on the competition there.

Sorry, Annie, just got to read the article now. Here's a quote:

The seven-night cruises will be packaged with flights for passengers joining from Spain, Italy, France and Germany, as well as Canada, Brazil and Argentina.

Edited by Beamafar

That's surprising, considering that there are direct flights to Cuba from both the UK and Ireland. Perhaps MSC aren't aware of that? Though, I think they're really pushing hard for a slice of the US market where there is huge interest in Cuba as a new Caribbean destination and they've got a headstart on the competition there.

Sorry, Annie, just got to read the article now. Here's a quote:

Got a newsletter from MSC UK today announcing the Opera's Cuban cruises and saying they will be on sale from Thursday this week.

Got a newsletter from MSC UK today announcing the Opera's Cuban cruises and saying they will be on sale from Thursday this week.

It'll be interesting to see the prices. I wonder will MSC do fly/cruise specials seeing as there are direct flights from UK & Ireland?

It'll be interesting to see the prices. I wonder will MSC do fly/cruise specials seeing as there are direct flights from UK & Ireland?

Who flies direct from Ireland to Havana. Aeroflot used to do it but that service has ceased a long time ago!

Edited by tomvet

Who flies direct from Ireland to Havana. Aeroflot used to do it but that service has ceased a long time ago!

Off the top of my head, TV, I think Air France does and one other which I can't remember offhand. There's a travel agent in Dublin does holidays to Cuba and I checked it out the other day for prices, etc. It's not on my radar at the moment. I've just booked 3 cruises in the last couple of weeks so I'm a little fuzzy on details about anything at the moment TBH!

Air Canada is the other - I've just googled it. They may be charters, though, tied in with package trips!

Edited by Beamafar

Off the top of my head, TV, I think Air France does and one other which I can't remember offhand. There's a travel agent in Dublin does holidays to Cuba and I checked it out the other day for prices, etc. It's not on my radar at the moment. I've just booked 3 cruises in the last couple of weeks so I'm a little fuzzy on details about anything at the moment TBH!

Air Canada is the other - I've just googled it. They may be charters, though, tied in with package trips!

They are not direct flights Air France is via Charles de Gaulle and Air Canada is via Toronto Pearson. The return Air Canada flight leaves Havana at 0730 so the last day of the cruise will be a non-entity. The layover in Toronto is over 12 hours followed by an overnight flight back to Dublin.

In the Seatrade article it was mentioned that MSC will offer fly/cruise packages but the UK was conspicuous by its absence from the list.

Cuba is on my bucket list but the MSC offering has zero interest to me. A 7 day Caribbean cruise from Cuba??

There are very many different types of holiday packages available to the UK consumer already.

Annie

Edited by anniegb

In the Seatrade article it was mentioned that MSC will offer fly/cruise packages but the UK was conspicuous by its absence from the list.

Cuba is on my bucket list but the MSC offering has zero interest to me. A 7 day Caribbean cruise from Cuba??

There are very many different types of holiday packages available to the UK consumer already.

Annie

Here is the quote from MSC's press area regarding this:

The seven-night cruises will be available to MSC Cruises travellers with a combination of packages. In particular, from Spain, Italy, France and Germany, as well as Canada, Brazil and Argentina these will include of fly and cruise combinations. The Company is also pleased to announce that the opening of the sales across all channels for cruises on MSC Opera will be on Thursday 9 July.

They are not direct flights Air France is via Charles de Gaulle and Air Canada is via Toronto Pearson. The return Air Canada flight leaves Havana at 0730 so the last day of the cruise will be a non-entity. The layover in Toronto is over 12 hours followed by an overnight flight back to Dublin.

Crikey, I was sure I'd read that the agent was offering directs - thanks TV! It's put paid to me considering Cuba, so!

This can be booked from Germany now too. Embarcation port is Montego Bay, though. Cheapest insides start at 1499 EUR pp. including flight, cheapest balcony cabins start at 1899 EUR. For comparison purposes, a flight from Germany to Jamaica alone would cost around 700.

Looks like the prices they are able to charge are quite a bit higher than what they would have gotten anywhere in Europe at that time of year. Also, I'm sure people are less likely to venture out on their own, which should give them higher excursion sales.

This can be booked from Germany now too. Embarcation port is Montego Bay, though. Cheapest insides start at 1499 EUR pp. including flight, cheapest balcony cabins start at 1899 EUR. For comparison purposes, a flight from Germany to Jamaica alone would cost around 700.

Looks like the prices they are able to charge are quite a bit higher than what they would have gotten anywhere in Europe at that time of year. Also, I'm sure people are less likely to venture out on their own, which should give them higher excursion sales.

Also on sale in the UK. Cheapest insides cruise only 2 people sharing £299 each.

Balconies don't appear to be available for solo occupany but insides and outsides are.

Also on sale in the UK. Cheapest insides cruise only 2 people sharing £299 each.

Balconies don't appear to be available for solo occupany but insides and outsides are.

That's quite a bit cheaper. I may have to find a British TA for my next booking...

That's quite a bit cheaper. I may have to find a British TA for my next booking...

Funny that! I used a German agent to book the Canary Isl cruise that MSC have just bumped me off!

Had an e-mail from my local travel agent today, £999 for flights from the UK to Havana, a weeks stay in a hotel and a weeks cruise on Opera in an inside cabin, £50 more for a window and £100 for a balcony. Real bargain I think :D.

I have never been to Cuba, most of my friends and family have, its a major destination for us Brits, I just like cruising and never had the chance to get there on a ship before. :)

Had an e-mail from my local travel agent today, £999 for flights from the UK to Havana, a weeks stay in a hotel and a weeks cruise on Opera in an inside cabin, £50 more for a window and £100 for a balcony. Real bargain I think :D.

I have never been to Cuba, most of my friends and family have, its a major destination for us Brits, I just like cruising and never had the chance to get there on a ship before. :)

MSC UK has some great rates!!!

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-14%20at%204.12.22%20PM_zpsyyxq1h3i.png

MSC have offered me the 12 night West Med and Canaries cruise which is the cruise before the repositioning one to Cuba.

I have had to cancel /amend my flights for an additional €240. MSC have not as of yet offered to cover out of pocket flight costs.

While they can hide behind T&Cs - they cannot hide behind immoral, unethical corporate behaviour.

Clearly they have moved for competitive advantage and finance - however it is very poor form when your gain is someone else's loss!

MSC have offered me the 12 night West Med and Canaries cruise which is the cruise before the repositioning one to Cuba.

I have had to cancel /amend my flights for an additional €240. MSC have not as of yet offered to cover out of pocket flight costs.

While they can hide behind T&Cs - they cannot hide behind immoral, unethical corporate behaviour.

Clearly they have moved for competitive advantage and finance - however it is very poor form when your gain is someone else's loss!

Don't wait for them to offer, instead make a claim against them. When they switched our repo from Sharm El Sheila to the Canaries, people on our roll call that had already booked their flights got OBC to cover their costs of changing flights. With MSc you have to demand and be persistent.