anytime vs traditional dining

jennymaxgirl

I am planning to book traditional dining at 6 pm for our party of 6. I expect that with a party of 6 it could be difficult to get seating right away in the anytime dining.

However, once we've been on board a few days an we think it would work out to try the anytime dining dining rooms, would it be okay to switch to anytime dining? We might want a change in atmosphere or a different dining times some nights. What is the right way to go about this?

Thanks,

Jennifer

I am planning to book traditional dining at 6 pm for our party of 6. I expect that with a party of 6 it could be difficult to get seating right away in the anytime dining.

However, once we've been on board a few days an we think it would work out to try the anytime dining dining rooms, would it be okay to switch to anytime dining? We might want a change in atmosphere or a different dining times some nights. What is the right way to go about this?

Thanks,

Jennifer

The Princess Cruise answer book says you can switch one time from one to other within 24 hours of boarding.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/dining_nightlife.jsp

Edited by shredie

First of all, the "atmosphere" as well as the menu and the dress code are the same in the traditional and anytime dining rooms.

If you want to permanently switch from traditional to anytime, you can ask the Maitre d' one day before you want to make the switch. It is a one way switch. You will not be able to go back to traditional if you do this.

By the way, when you book the 6 PM traditional for your group, you need to have all of your bookings linked together so you will be seated together. If you are using the same TA (or Princess agent), that agent should be able to take care of this for you.

I use to think anytime was more flexible. Then realized we would frequent the dining room the same time every day. Last cruise we chose traditional. Such a blast same table mates which we got to know really well. Also same waiters who learn your preference. I'll be choosing traditional from now on

I use to think anytime was more flexible. Then realized we would frequent the dining room the same time every day. Last cruise we chose traditional. Such a blast same table mates which we got to know really well. Also same waiters who learn your preference. I'll be choosing traditional from now on

I agree with your comments. :)

Same with us. We took a B2B on PP and had to do traditional (no choice). Enjoyed it so much, that will now be our preferred way to dine.

The right way to do this is not to do it at all. If you want anytime dining, sign up for it. If you sign up for traditional dining, stick with it. One of my pet peeves is people who sign up for traditional dining and then don't show up. Tablemates on one of our cruises weren't there more than half the time, missing four nights out of seven. That means two people who actually wanted traditional dining did not get it because of their selfishness.

I'm not saying that people who have traditional dining aren't allowed to miss a meal in the dining room. Obviously Princess wants people to try the specialty dining options. And when you have reservations for one of the specialty dining options, it's polite to let your waiters and tablemates know the night before. It's just that if you know you're not going to be eating in the traditional dining room many nights, then don't sign up for traditional dining.

Edited by geoherb

We actually prefer Anytime . Sure, there are pros and cons to both Traditional and Anytime, but the kicker for us is the opportunity to meet new folks each day at dinner (have never requested a two-top and just take our chances - always worked out fine so far for us !) :)

...VTX-Al

22 princess cruises, traditional late is our preferred choice, only thing better is the Crown Grill for us, the $50 up charge is well worth it.

42 Princess cruises for us and we are Traditional Late Dining For Life! Not only do the waiters get to know your likes and dislikes, but because there is no one coming in after you, you are never rushed.

42 Princess cruises for us and we are Traditional Late Dining For Life! Not only do the waiters get to know your likes and dislikes, but because there is no one coming in after you, you are never rushed.

We typically do traditional dining if we are going as a group and do anytime dining when traveling alone. We do like sharing a table with anytime dining but will also occasionally take a table for two. In every case we have not had to change. Both are very acceptable.

We enjoy the relationship we have with traditional dining staff on the longer cruises, especially. It is so nice to have someone greet you by name and bring the bread basket full of our favorites. And to know what we like as far as extra veggies on our plates etc.

We like to visit with them and enjoy hearing about their home and family. We choose a table for two and find they appreciate we are not in a hurry and will adjust our timing to their big tables. No rushing us out to clear the table.

We like meeting new people at lunch time, but after a couple experiences at larger tables, DH and I prefer enjoying just each other's company over dinner.

Well, that works for late seating. And we do the same thing for the same reasons.

ATD for me all the time. Eat where and when I want to , without having to inform my table mates that I will not be joining them. Holidays are about doing what you want to do, when you want to do it. Just my opinion of course.

Back to the OP: the system isn't really designed for switching back and forth. By trying to do that, you are basically taking up 2 spaces for every diner in your group, one in traditional and one in anytime. Plus, you deprive cruisers who may be wait listed for traditional of the chance to be assigned a table. As mentioned above, it negatively impacts the experience for traditional diners if many of the spaces are left empty. There really isn't any difference between the atmosphere in the different dining rooms so that isn't a reason to switch back and forth, but you can certainly go to the buffet or one of the specialty restaurants if you desire a change. Please, talk to your group and find out if they want traditional or anytime.

It's way easier to change from Traditional to Anytime than it is to change from Anytime to Traditional.

That's true. More than once, I've ended up on a TD waiting list and sweated it until cruise date. So far, I've always managed to make it.

That's true. More than once, I've ended up on a TD waiting list and sweated it until cruise date. So far, I've always managed to make it.

People hate when I say this ... but ... $haking hands always helps getting anything you want. ;)

LuLu

The right way to do this is not to do it at all. If you want anytime dining, sign up for it. If you sign up for traditional dining, stick with it. One of my pet peeves is people who sign up for traditional dining and then don't show up. Tablemates on one of our cruises weren't there more than half the time, missing four nights out of seven. That means two people who actually wanted traditional dining did not get it because of their selfishness.

I'm not saying that people who have traditional dining aren't allowed to miss a meal in the dining room. Obviously Princess wants people to try the specialty dining options. And when you have reservations for one of the specialty dining options, it's polite to let your waiters and tablemates know the night before. It's just that if you know you're not going to be eating in the traditional dining room many nights, then don't sign up for traditional dining.

Right on. Can not agree more.

I so agree with you. It has become too common for this to happen. We don't want to be 2 people sitting at a table for 8 with no one to talk to... So frustrating!

My MAJOR pet peeve! More often than not we see the same empty tables night after night, and then in conversation meet a passenger who wants TD and can't get it. We always book TD, and if we're going to Crown Grill or Sabatini's for dinner we let our waiter and table mates know that we won't be there. We've also sat alone for a day or two at a table for 8 when no one else showed up. Luckily, the headwaiter noticed it and moved us to a table with people who showed up every night.