Celebrity Century Passengers Charge Cruise Line Has Left Them Stranded Again

LauraS

Thank you for the info. Was just about to arrange for a celebrity cruise. I am a past passenger but, it sounds like they don't treat you like they used to. I won't travel with them again. Many other cruise lines going to the same places with equal or nicer ships. When Celebrity decides that their passengers rein supreme, I may try it again.

Perhaps the cruise industry is not as competitive as we've been told. Carnival Corp. has a terrible experience and made the news media "invent" negative crisis stories because of swift and decisive management action. RCCL is allowing their management reluctance to erode PR. Both lines know you can't buy good word-of-mouth advertising, only one seems to appreciate that fact.

Unfortunately I believe it has taken all of us 10/13 Century passengers constant fussing to finally get Celebrity to realize that they needed to step up and cover the out of pocket expenses required for us to get home.

Many are starting to finally see their money, I'm still waiting for even the $250 change fees promised.

I hope that this adventure helps protect others from a similar experience by making Celebrity have some plans in place for unforeseen events- perhaps some regular employees who are called to form a special team when these things happen...... Anything to provide better information and a reasonably timed resolution would be a big improvement!

Notice that the Senior Editor only highlighted past cruises that were canceled due to so-called 'acts of God' , IE: hurricanes, volcano eruptions, etc.

Our cruise, Oct 13 Century sailing was canceled due to a mechanical breakdown. There is a difference. Our cruise was canceled due to the improper maintenance and/or improper handling and/or wear and tear of Celebrity's ship.

It is expected that in this case, the cruise line would make every effort to care for their passengers needs, since it is Celebrity that is as fault, not the weather.

Anything they have done or will do is warranted since we were left in a foreign country with no help from them.

Our major gripe is not the breakdown of the ship, but the callous disregard they have shown since then. Here we are more than 30 days later and we just found out that we will be refunded for airfare.

To be clear, we have not just been waiting for refunds, we have been waiting to hear IF there will be refunds.

Thanks Celebrity...for all the stress and ruined vacation.

Perhaps the cruise industry is not as competitive as we've been told. Carnival Corp. has a terrible experience and made the news media "invent" negative crisis stories because of swift and decisive management action. RCCL is allowing their management reluctance to erode PR. Both lines know you can't buy good word-of-mouth advertising, only one seems to appreciate that fact.

Read the Carnival Splendor thread. There are a lot of very unhappy people about how Carnival has handled that fiasco -- not about onboard, but about reimbursements and price gouging.

Recently, we heard the stories of how great Carnival treated their passengers after their unfortunate fire. I am a frequent cruiser and I was impressed greatly with Carnival. Celebrity should take a page from Carnival's book: treat your customers like gold and they will use your services again. I have cruised both Carnival and Celebrity in the past. I think now I might consider Carnival again, but think twice about Celebrity.

Read the Carnival Splendor thread. There are a lot of very unhappy people about how Carnival has handled that fiasco -- not about onboard, but about reimbursements and price gouging.

There will always be complaints in how a disaster is handled. You have to look at the majority and see the difference. With the Carnival Splendor most people are understanding and feel things are fair. They were reimbursed in a timely matter (some even before they got home) and most all are being reimbursed much faster than Celebrity guests. The vast majority of guests who were on the Century are still extremely unhappy. When you tell your story no one can believe how Celebrity could do what they've done.

The Century cancellation is all their own fault and almost 6 weeks later we still don't know what will be covered or reimbursed. Credit card bills are due with no reimbursements to pay them. Let alone the issue of a ruined vacation that we are unable to replace at the rates we originally had or even close to it!!! Celebrity is definitely just hoping this will all go away if they keep quiet. They are acting like they are hurting financially when their stock is way up. It looks like that's how they make money; by not living up to their obligations. I don't understand why Celebrity thinks all this negative PR is worth them NOT Doing the Right Thing!

It's been over 6 weeks for us ( party of 4 family members)

Checking to see if anyone had any updates on compensation ?? besides supposed Airfare.

Celebrity is using the "beat down into submission arrogant attitude" same as we encountered on the Century when the cancellation occured.

It seems because we did not follow their protocol, did not panic & did not return home, we are getting beat up attempting to resolve our compensation with Celebrity/RCL ( same management)

We refused to let their maintenance or lack there of, interrupt our long awaited Mediterranean Vacation.

When they told we must get off the ship & we were on our own, unless we had booked a full package ( Air/Cruise/Land) with Celebrity.

Together we took the bull by the horns, rented a car after we were dumped in Barcelona & muddled through Northern France & Basque Spain using a GPS and maps we had brought with us, in search of small villages to stay & tour.

I have been fighting with them to reach a fair & equitable resolve, letters went out to their President ( Hanrahan) & Chairman ( Fain)

Stll no resolve !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are now on an escalation pattern with a supposed Exectutive Customer Service person, since the 1st Executive Customer Service person failed to get us to succumb to what they felt was fair & equitible...Nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So we went from a German Shepherd beating up on us, now esclated to a Rotweiler & I am waiting to see if their next move will be from a Doberman or Pit Bull.

Seems because we defied, and inspite of them, stayed the course and made the best of a bad situation, they are saying we will only be covered for 3 days, to which they have already compensated us $250.00 each plus an additional $100.00 ea.

I thought we contracted Celebrity for a Cruise beginning Oct 13th in Barcelona & ending in Barcelona on the 25th.

Am I missing something ??????????????

We didn't get off the ship on our own accord, we were told to disembark the ship, due to their ship's major mechanical problem , we were dumped in Barcelona after a 10 1/2 hour bus ride..............

Anyone reading this post and have further advice, please advise ASAP.

Follow up "non resolve" letters are going out again this week to Hanrahan & Fain, I was told Hanrahan is calling the shots & issuing the directives to his "Exectutive Customer Service Team"

So any further assistance as to whom & where additional letters can be mailed , would appreciate names & addresses of agencies

I am not letting them slide.........................

Thank you, Laura, for trying to bring this ongoing fiasco to the attention of other travellers.

We are still awaiting promised monies. Now, they are subtracting the small amounts that they have already given.

They nickel and dime to the very last penny. One person I know was offered $3.xx. She looked several times to make sure there was a decimal point after the 3.

I know Celebrity has many fans and if there are no problems, they offer an enjoyable cruise.

Unfortunately, they are not trustworthy when there are issues.

I hope their executives see the light.

WOW - I am just starting to plan an April 2011 cruise and was seriously considering giving Celebrity a try. That big X is now drawn over their name on my list. Thanks for the warning.

Varying opinions on food and service are expected but to hear about this kind of treatment completely changes my mind about giving the line any of my business.

WOW - I am just starting to plan an April 2011 cruise and was seriously considering giving Celebrity a try. That big X is now drawn over their name on my list. Thanks for the warning.

Varying opinions on food and service are expected but to hear about this kind of treatment completely changes my mind about giving the line any of my business.

And... their beds are the worst!:eek:

Enjoyed a TA with them, GREAT waiter and asst., good food, but won't cruise with them again after this.

Celebrity's Cynthia Martinez response, "Due to the number of guests submitting claims, as well as the amount of time it takes to review the information, fulfilling the claims might be taking a bit longer than guests would prefer. However, guests should rest assured that we are working to fulfill all claims as expeditiously as possible." does not explain why CrackerjackCruiser or Spud357c's letters to the "Corporate Honchos" have gone unanswered. Murphy's Law = Take your business elsewhere!

Celebrity's Cynthia Martinez response, "Due to the number of guests submitting claims, as well as the amount of time it takes to review the information, fulfilling the claims might be taking a bit longer than guests would prefer. However, guests should rest assured that we are working to fulfill all claims as expeditiously as possible." does not explain why CrackerjackCruiser or Spud357c's letters to the "Corporate Honchos" have gone unanswered. Murphy's Law = Take your business elsewhere!

So we went from a German Shepherd beating up on us, now esclated to a Rotweiler & I am waiting to see if their next move will be from a Doberman or Pit Bull.

I am the proud owner of 2 French Bulldogs and 1 Pitbull. And I can tell you that the Pit is more loving and friendly than one of the Frenchies. I know you are using an analogy and I'm sure you don't mean to purposefully bash the breed, but please refrain from making general statements in regards to different breeds of dogs in a negative way. Again, this is not a personal attack on you, nor a debate about dog fights or attacks or anything. It just upsets me when people automatically associate Pit Bulls (or Rottweilers - one of which got deployed with FEMA VA Task Force 2 to Haiti along with my husband), Dobermans, or even German Shepherds that risk their lives everyday as members of law enforcement.

I am not some crazy person that is looking to stir up trouble. I just had to say my piece and hopefully bring a little awareness. Pits have such a bad rap already and the majority of them are not the vicious man-eaters people make them out to be. I'm not getting into the whole thing as this is not the time or place. But as an animal lover, I just couldn't sit back and pretend I didn't read it. With that being said -

I have been following what has been going on and I have to say that the way this situation has been handled is absolutely horrible. So I totally understand your frustration. But I hope for your sake, they don't have you deal with "a Pittie" as the only thing you will get then will be a bunch of kisses, a lot of drool, and an 80 lb dog that thinks he's a lap cat and wants to cuddle.

Better luck with an "ankle biter"! Just kidding. I love all dogs! Good luck and I hope things eventually get worked out. But it is taking way too long.

Tiffany

• 2 weeks later...

Tiffiny

get a "grip"...I love animals better than people.

It was merely a reference as to Celebrity's placing their customer service personnel in the aggressive escalation process, to wear the passengers down.

"Read" your stats on different breeds of dogs, I have 3 of my own too

Archived