Going to BLUE BAY/KAY need info

mitsugirly

I have been following your posts as we will be in Costa Maya in a couple of weeks. Do you have the website for Blue Kay?

TIA

While I won't be able to have my pictures or review up before you leave (we just returned today a few hours ago and I have over 3500 pictures downloading at the moment)...just know THIS PLACE IS BEAUTIFUL AND WELL WORTH THE TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!! It was one of our best days and I'm so happy that we chose to go here.

ALSO....TAKE NOTE...it is FREE to go here and use the beach. Just eat (great food) and drink and they will be happy!! Wifi is free too.

They only charge the day pass if you want to include canoes, bikes and stuff like that.

110% satisfied with this place and the water and the beach was so beautiful and amazing there. I couldn't believe it was actually on the malecon and such a different experience and feeling from our trip before to Nohoch Kay and the shallow-seaweed water.

Have a wonderful time if you go!!!! :)

While I won't be able to have my pictures or review up before you leave (we just returned today a few hours ago and I have over 3500 pictures downloading at the moment)...just know THIS PLACE IS BEAUTIFUL AND WELL WORTH THE TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!! It was one of our best days and I'm so happy that we chose to go here.

ALSO....TAKE NOTE...it is FREE to go here and use the beach. Just eat (great food) and drink and they will be happy!! Wifi is free too.

They only charge the day pass if you want to include canoes, bikes and stuff like that.

110% satisfied with this place and the water and the beach was so beautiful and amazing there. I couldn't believe it was actually on the malecon and such a different experience and feeling from our trip before to Nohoch Kay and the shallow-seaweed water.

Have a wonderful time if you go!!!! :)

Glad to hear you had a great time. I have read all of your reviews for Costa Maya and had decided on Almaplena because we wanted a place with clear blue water. How does Blue Kay compare? Is it crowded? Can you snorkel off the beach? We sail in three weeks and I have already gave a deposit for Almaplena. Just curious how it compares. Thanks for any opinions.

Also, want to thank you for all of your detailed reviews. It has helped so much in learning more about the different ports.

Glad to hear you had a great time. I have read all of your reviews for Costa Maya and had decided on Almaplena because we wanted a place with clear blue water. How does Blue Kay compare? Is it crowded? Can you snorkel off the beach? We sail in three weeks and I have already gave a deposit for Almaplena. Just curious how it compares. Thanks for any opinions.

Also, want to thank you for all of your detailed reviews. It has helped so much in learning more about the different ports.

I don't think you will be disappointed with Almaplena. It is beautiful there. I haven't went back since my first visit a few years ago, but I have seen some updated pictures and it looks like the place has grown (as in the foilage) and it looks gorgeous as ever.

I think Blue Kay was very beautiful too. It was not too crowded, especially during the morning hours and didn't get too crowded the entire day. The place is a lot bigger than Almaplena with plenty of beach front, plenty of chairs and plenty of shade and trees.

Yes, the water was crystal clear and blue when we were there. Hardly any sea grass at all and great for swimming.

Since it's a sandy bottom beach/water, it's not really a "snorkeling place" so to speak. However, I carry my snorkling gear with me EVERYWHERE I go because I have found that there is ALWAYS something to be seen. I have also learned that those places that are not known for snorkeling are usually the places that I will see something I have never seen before. This would be no different. They do have some rocks in the water here and there and there are some rocks right up by the entrance at one spot that had tons of sea life and fish. I managed to see my very first sideways camouflage flounder fish. You know the ones that lay flat and sideways and look like they only have 1 eyeball sticking up at you? They change colors to blend in with the sandy bottom ocean floor. I also seen the biggest trumpet fish I think I have ever seen before there. He was HUGE.

There were rocks really far from the shore and there was snorkeling to be done out there as well. There was coral and tons of fish and the best part was, it was shallow and a lot of places you could just stand up on the sand in the water out there. It was awesome. I like places like that that doesn't require a lot of effort to get to. :D

Once I get my review done, I will come back and link it to this thread so that you can see all of my pictures from there. :)

mitsugirly,

So nice to hear everything worked out for you and you had a great time.:)

Looking forward to your review of your "swan song" Western cruise.;)

I have officially started my full review over on the NCL board located HERE.

Ok, I have to ask (or maybe it's just late and my brain isn't functioning after a night at work), but what do you mean by the "swan song" western cruise?

I have officially started my full review over on the NCL board located HERE.

Ok, I have to ask (or maybe it's just late and my brain isn't functioning after a night at work), but what do you mean by the "swan song" western cruise?

Nice start. Looking forward to the rest.

Forgive me if my brain is muddled but I thought you said in some post somewhere, you weren't planning on another Western cruise soon and you were looking for a good spot to spend time at in Costa Maya. A swain song refers to a final performance before retiring, thus the reference to your last trek down the coast.:)

Nice start. Looking forward to the rest.

Forgive me if my brain is muddled but I thought you said in some post somewhere, you weren't planning on another Western cruise soon and you were looking for a good spot to spend time at in Costa Maya. A swain song refers to a final performance before retiring, thus the reference to your last trek down the coast.:)

Oh gotcha. I'm sure I've said that multiple times :p I have just done that route so many times that I'm running out of places to go but I keep coming back and doing the western just because you can't beat the prices they have on it. I did manage to squeeze in an eastern this year and I have a Bermuda cruise booked for next year. But when those prices drop so low I can't resist, I end up back on the western side. LOL I'm so fickle. hehe :D I have never heard of the swain song term so I was confused. LOL :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I have my Blue Kay review completed. You can find it HERE.

Beware, it's VERY VERY LONG...with tons of pictures (I believe over 200)

It starts around post #469 and goes to post #532, look for the pink writing. :D

Glad everything worked out for you after all your worrying and research. We saw Blue Kay on our way to Maya Chan last month. Photos look good and location is certainly convenient - will have to give it a try some time.

Glad everything worked out for you after all your worrying and research. We saw Blue Kay on our way to Maya Chan last month. Photos look good and location is certainly convenient - will have to give it a try some time.

I'm so glad I pursued it. It was well worth it. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Are the beach chairs at Blue Kay as uncomfortable as they look? Would love a nap by the sea but not sure about those chairs lol

Yep they sure are (at least the ones under the palapa's were). We kept saying that was the one and only thing that we could come up with that the place was lacking. Put a few cushions on them and the place would be perfect. :D We ended up folding up our beach towels and sitting on them whenever we were on the chairs to make it have a little "cushion" too it. :p

• 2 weeks later...

Mitsugirly-

We will be in Costa Maya next week and are thinking about going to Blue Kay. We had originally booked at Almaplena, but with the recent bad reviews on here about the water and service, we have decided not to chance it. We have never been to Costa Maya and have a few questions from your review of Blue Kay:

1. I have your photo of the port area. Which exit do you go out to catch the trolley and where is the stand to buy the tickets?

2. When you get off the trolley at Señor Frogs, exactly how do you get to Blue Kay? In your review you mentioned using the "back" way to Blue Kay, but I don't know what that means.

Thanks for your help.

Lady

You will pretty much just be able to follow everyone out to the exit. Just wind your way around and out and as soon as you exit between the buildings, you will see a stand there to purchase the $3 tickets. There will be people there asking where you are going and point you over to the stand.

Purchase you ticket and the open air bus will either be there (a few of them) or pulling up and filing up with everyone going to the Malecon.

The very first stop is Senior Frogs that they pull in to. (At this point you will have already passed Blue Kay, which is right next door to Senior Frogs) and see their sign.

Just get off at Senior Frogs (you are dropped off at the back of the building...the front is the Malecon and there's no traffic there) and if you are facing the building, you will walk to your left next door and you will see the little hut. Just walk straight to the malecon and the beach is there with the seating. Super easy.

We were there in January on NYE cruise, followed Mitsugirly's instructions except that we got outside the gate and hopped in taxi ($2 pp flat rate plus tip), they knew exactly where to go.

We walked right onto the beach, grabbed 2 loungers with thatched umbrella thing and a table attached to chairs. Beach was amazing, DH and DS rented snorkel equip and I laid in sun. Then about an hour after we got there we ordered a couple of drinks, 2 sodas and nachos, for light lunch, bill was $22 total. Had a great time, would go back in a heartbeat....

Grabbed a taxi right outside the bar area and got right back to port for $2 pp... ;)

So their "site" offers an AI (Bev- no food) for 420.00 p, which without food not so great. You were able to just "walk on" ala carte, which seemed to work out good. Although I can sure drink my $$ up, it seems like the prices on the menu are cheap enough to just wing it. Would you agree? And use US or pesos.? There are still openings for Maya Chan and Nohoch, but Sounds like the best idea to just to NOT plan.

We were there in January on NYE cruise, followed Mitsugirly's instructions except that we got outside the gate and hopped in taxi ($2 pp flat rate plus tip), they knew exactly where to go.

We walked right onto the beach, grabbed 2 loungers with thatched umbrella thing and a table attached to chairs. Beach was amazing, DH and DS rented snorkel equip and I laid in sun. Then about an hour after we got there we ordered a couple of drinks, 2 sodas and nachos, for light lunch, bill was $22 total. Had a great time, would go back in a heartbeat....

Grabbed a taxi right outside the bar area and got right back to port for $2 pp... ;)

How much was the snorkel equipment? Deciding whether to buy or rent. Just hate carrying it around.

Glad to hear you had a good day and enjoyed the place. :)

So their "site" offers an AI (Bev- no food) for 420.00 p, which without food not so great. You were able to just "walk on" ala carte, which seemed to work out good. Although I can sure drink my $$ up, it seems like the prices on the menu are cheap enough to just wing it. Would you agree? And use US or pesos.? There are still openings for Maya Chan and Nohoch, but Sounds like the best idea to just to NOT plan.

Yep, the ala carte worked great for us. We ate and snacked and drank both soda and alcohol and even some extras for the 3 of us and only managed to spend $48 I think it was ($40 something at least, I'd have to go back and read my review for the exact amount). The menu I took a picture of was in peso's but someone else said that they have another menu (maybe it was on the back side...I'm not sure) for american and US $$.

How much was the snorkel equipment? Deciding whether to buy or rent. Just hate carrying it around.

They offered a package for $20 that included the snorkeling equipment, use of kayaks and use of the bikes. We have our own snorkeling equipment, so that's why we didn't purchase the package. :)

Thanks- yes I converted some of the pesos prices and they were cheap- like $3.50 US for a piña colada. All in all the $59 AI is Prob the best for me. I drink a lot. But I like the idea of meandering around and not being at just one location, so I think I will Prob take your suggestion since you've been to all.

Currency- use pesos or US?

It depends who you are making purchases from.

I was quoted a higher price taxi fare using US dollars than with Pesos when I was in Maya Riviera last year.

Restaurant prices too were higher via US$

Edited by ISLABONITA