Doesn't anyone get a massage??

jerandder

I've been reading (and posting, but mostly reading), these forums for a while now and I have seen very few posts about the spa services. I love a massage (and actually give them for a living!), and I am really looking forward to getting one on the ship. It doesn't seem like many people here partake of the services offered by the spa. I would like to hear from people who have gotten a massage or body treatment, particularly on the Equinox. How do the therapists stack up as compared to land spas? Is it recommended to book prior to embarkation? I imagine sea days book up fairly quickly. Any information will be appreciated!

Until I read where they have discontinued their obnoxious practice of strong-arm selling of their products, often short-changing your actual treatment time to do this, I will continue to boycott them.

????We have NEVER experienced that at any spa on land or sea, but have not sailed Celebrity yet. Is this common on Celebrity? Hope not.

Ditto. The last time I got a massage on a cruise, there was a lot of pressure to purchase lotions and soaking solutions that cost $60 a bottle. This was after paying $220 for a couples massage. I'm happy just enjoying the sauna.

I, for one, have thoroughly enjoyed massages on board both the Summit and Voyager! Two years ago the first stop we made was at the spa to make appointments! Expensive – YES! – but something I rarely treat myself to on land! I think we waited to make appointments because there wasn’t much info available regarding services on the web site. And often there are special on Port Days – if you’re staying on board or can fit it into your schedule.

The Ship usually has promos early in the trip for shops and spa so you might be able to get a good deal then. I’m sure I’ll make an appointment for some service during our up-coming trip – just haven’t decided when yet!

????We have NEVER experienced that at any spa on land or sea, but have not sailed Celebrity yet. Is this common on Celebrity? Hope not.
Never had a spa treatment on any cruise line that didn't do this. They even do the hard sell when they have a seminar. I stopped because of the hard sell and extremely high prices.

I enjoy massages, and thought I would enjoy one on my Mercury cruise recently, UNTIL I saw the insane prices. Nearly $200 (with the gratuity) for a 70 minute massage! :eek: I was expecting $100 for a 50 minute, and at THAT I'd have been hard pressed.

Oh well.

I had two services on the Summit recently: the seaweed wrap and a massage. Also had a full massage on the Solistice last year.

The Celebrity spas (and most other cruise lines) are run by Elimis (sp?) and the employees do not work directly for the cruise line - but are subject to Celebrity standards and extra training.

The good: the services were excellent. prices are discounted on port days.

The bad: the cost is about double what is normal here in Pittsburgh.

The ridiculous: There is usually an "auction" for reduced price spa services, which is where I choose the two services on the Summit. I'd read abt it somewhere here on cruise critic. However, the services were shorter than the full price - so not such a great deal afterall.

Selling: each technican tried to sell me "product". One harder sell, one medium, one easy. Didn't get any. Just tell them no thank you. If they talk abt it during your service (which none of mine did), tell them you'll relax more if they save that for after. THEN tell them no.:D:D I tip well, so they're usually pretty happy with me anyway...

If you are okay with the pricing, then I think you'll be happy with the quality of services.

Hope this helps,

Sara

I have been on many Celebrity cruises and always take massages or stone massages. Like everywhere else, some were better than others. Rarely did I have an annoying Hard Sell. If they try to sell and you don't want to hear it, just say so. If you are curious about their product, you can listen and then say you are or are not interested. And it is best to book on board. There are usually specials.

I love a good massage, but rarely partake in cruise line spa services. Most (if not all) mass market cruise lines have their spas operated by a company called Steiner. Steiner has extremely inflated prices - basically they charge double to triple for comparable treatments at a good land based spa. While the quality of the treatment is usually decent, it is only worth it if you can get 50% off the price (often not that hard to do; by the second or third day of the cruise they start offering deep discounts). Steiner is famous for the "hard sell." Basically, in a three minute sales pitch, they can make as much money as on a 50 minute massage (or more). Steiner encourages their staff to really push products aggressively; not all the staff do so, but the intense sales pitch is very commonplace on cruise ship spas (not just Celebrity, but all lines run by Steiner).

If you decide to try out a treatment, I recommend the following:

*Never book in advance or on the first day of the cruise: These are about the only times the spa charges full price.

*Do not worry about the spa being so busy that you will not be able to book an appointment, they almost always have vacancies

*Look in the daily newsletter to see which treatments are "on sale" the next day.

*Don't be afraid to negotiate/haggle to either have the price dropped for the treatment or for them to throw in something extra.

*Attend a spa seminar; while it is just a sales pitch disguised as an educational event, they usually offer the participants a chance to sign up for treatments at a deep discount - either on the spot, in a coupon that is delivered to your room that you "won" a raffle (everybody who attends gets the same "prize") or they will have an "auction" where you "bid" on treatments of your choice (everybody who bids at least 50% of full price "wins").

*Tell the person up front you do not want a sales pitch.

*Look carefully at your bill before tipping; sometimes they add a gratuity already to the final price without telling you.

On our most recent cruises, they had wonderful spa samplings. There were stations: one for shoulder massage, one for foot massage, one for head massage, etc. They offered fruit kabobs and healthy yogurt drinks. All was free and it was a lot of fun. They had doorprizes at the end.

I have found them to be twice the price and one half of what you can get at most message parlors. Plus they are always trying to push something and their sales pitch is pure BS.

I just had the seaweed wrap with 1/2 body massage aboard the Summit. It has a retail value of $195 and my husband won it at the raffle during sailaway!!! He had to dance in front of the crowd for 9 seconds per Max. It was pretty funny. It was heavenly. The sell lasted about 5 mins after I was completed dressed and finished my experience. I loved it and politely said no to the "Celllutox liquid". It was about $65 a bottle.

Jenn

Thanks for the good advice and opinions. I am aware of the mark up on cruises and resort spas, and I am generally willing to pay more for the experience. I also think that on my port intensive Med cruise, I will be needing that massage (esp on my feet!!). It's good to know that there will be opportunities for a discount, so I will not make and appt prior to the cruise, and just cross my fingers that they won't be totally booked.

As for the sales pitch, as long as they don't do it while I am on table, I will be ok. I am really good at saying "no"!

I've had a lot of massages on land but I will say some of my best massages were on celebrity ships. I think the company that contracts them has high standards. I've never been given a hard sell. When they've started talking about products I just say no thanks. Enjoy your massage!

Thanks for the good advice and opinions. I am aware of the mark up on cruises and resort spas, and I am generally willing to pay more for the experience. I also think that on my port intensive Med cruise, I will be needing that massage (esp on my feet!!). It's good to know that there will be opportunities for a discount, so I will not make and appt prior to the cruise, and just cross my fingers that they won't be totally booked.

As for the sales pitch, as long as they don't do it while I am on table, I will be ok. I am really good at saying "no"!

Agree with most everything Gonzo says...but wanted to add that since you state you give massages for a living I suspect you will be sorely disappointed with the quality of your massage. I have had many on cruises and only one ranked as good as any I have had on land. The quality is spotty at best...you might find a good one, you might not. I would probably let them know you do it for a living and perhaps they will know to get you the best technician they have for your massage. I've stopped getting them now as I prefer the ones on land for several reasons, 1)better, 2)cheaper, 3)longer so I just get one before I cruise and I'm all set.

On the hard sell, I did find it you firmly let them know ahead of time that you are NOT buying anything they are usually less pushy.

Anyway, enjoy your cruise!!!:D

Wait and see what spa specials will be available. Last year I received a 30 minute massage and a facial for $90. Not bad. Also, I politely let the person providing the services know up front that I am there only for relaxation and will not be purchasing any products. Works like a charm.

I was very pleased with the massage as well as the facial. It was very relaxing.

The Spa is something I enjoy at Sea--

I just had 4 spa Services from Steiner on a 10 day cruise on Radiance of the Seas.. Had deep tissue massage, swedish & also a marine collagen facial & one price special combo treatment of mini facial & massage.. Also had Cap Club discount coupons-- All the services were excellent...and the therapists pleasant-- (as mentioned, on a ship this can vary so it's the luck of the draw!)

I tell the therapists that I tip well but buy my products on line at time to spa . com. I can get a much better discount, sometimes free mailing & no need to worry about transpoting items home. Only 1 of the threrapists this time tried to get me to buy anyhow--told me I had to start the facial capsules right away to get their benefit-- but her offered discount was not that good..

when I got home I hit two specials (best to call rather than just buy on the computer ) & got twice as much product with bonus samples for a lower price... & the capsules are working quite well--

The hard sell is a turn off so you have to be firm--but it is not to be feared...

The full body hot stone massage is my favorite, but, for reasons many have already posted, I rarely book one on the ship. Here are my reasons why:

1. Extremely expensive.

2. They're so busy pushing products that they don't allow you to relax and enjoy the benefits of your massage. (I have learned to beat them to the punch and deal with this head-on and up front. When I enter the spa for my appointment, I tell the ladies at the reception desk as well as my therapist that I am not interested in hearing any sales pitches about products. If I have any questions or an interest in anything, I will ask them..... they are not to interfere with my relaxation time.

3. Benefits of the treatment are oftentimes short-lived because of other scheduling conflicts and/or commitments onboard.... i.e. rushing to meet someone or rushing to get dressed, or rushing to attend a particular entertainment venue on time, or just simply getting ready for dinner. If I spend that much money for a spa treatment, I at least want to relax and allow the results of it to last for a while, so scheduling can be a real issue.

Sometimes later in the cruise the spa will offer some special pricing or some bundling of services at a discounted price, and these are the deals I usually look for. However, by then the available appointment times are not always very attractive, so, again, scheduling becomes an issue.

Having said all of this, though, particularly if this is your first cruise with Celebrity and you are a massage therapist yourself, then I would definitely feel compelled to book something, if for no other reason than to give it a try and have something to compare. Now that you have all of our negative feedback, you are forewarned and, therefore, forearmed, so you can be prepared and, hopefully, enjoy it to the fullest.

I had a four-part massage -- (facial, massage, foot massage and scalp massage) on the Mercury in April/May and was only $89 -- which I didn't think was bad. The tip was an extra $9, so for $97. My friend did it too and got a deep tissue massage for her body massage. Probably more expensive than land massages, it still wasn't bad. Was 60 minutes. I think a lot of their stuff is overpriced, but this was one of their specials, which I'm all about!

I have had a massage on every cruise Ive taken on the sister line RCCL. I agree with the other posts regarding pricing, specials and scheduling.

I am a veteran massage client and I know the difference between a "spa massage/rubdown" and a good registered therapeutic deep tissue massage. All were as I expected and advertised - in fact the best massage I have EVER had was on the Adventure - a very good deep tissue massage that left me absolutely knot free. ;)

I have never had a hard sell on products - usually a very brief 2-3 minute recommendation at the end of the session after I was dressed and never a "hard sell". Product recommendation is typical at land spas I frequent so it did not make me uncomfortable on the ship. I find if you set the tone at the beginning all progresses well.

I actually love the Elemis products and I use the muscle soak and the relaxing gel. I had to ask my masseuse what it was he used on me - and picked up the relaxing gel - it is amazing stuff and loosens up all my tight muscles inbetween services.

I have had a massage on every cruise Ive taken on the sister line RCCL. I agree with the other posts regarding pricing, specials and scheduling.

I am a veteran massage client and I know the difference between a "spa massage/rubdown" and a good registered therapeutic deep tissue massage. All were as I expected and advertised - in fact the best massage I have EVER had was on the Adventure - a very good deep tissue massage that left me absolutely knot free. ;)

I have never had a hard sell on products - usually a very brief 2-3 minute recommendation at the end of the session after I was dressed and never a "hard sell". Product recommendation is typical at land spas I frequent so it did not make me uncomfortable on the ship. I find if you set the tone at the beginning all progresses well.

I actually love the Elemis products and I use the muscle soak and the relaxing gel. I had to ask my masseuse what it was he used on me - and picked up the relaxing gel - it is amazing stuff and loosens up all my tight muscles inbetween services.

This is pretty much how I feel and what my experiences have been on RCCL, X and HA. I don't ever remember any hard sell associated with a massage and I have done my best to keep Steiner in business by having hot stone massages on every cruise.

Facials are another story- the technician invariably writes up a page of products and the steps involved in using them. Not one item on the list has ever been under $50. Some have done everything but offer to deliver the products to my home to get me to buy. Other technicians have given me the list and said this what I recommend. Let me know if you are interested in purchasing.

On my last 2-3 cruises, I actually thought that there was a lot less of the heavy-handed product pushing when you got a treatment. My thought was that maybe there had been so many complaints that they had backed off. Maybe I was just lucky and didn't get pushy technicians.

I enjoy a really good massage - and have a standing appointment here at home. I have had a few treatments at sea - and was really turned off by the hard sell. So I save my bucks for my home town fave - she does a good job - and I can get three 60-minute treatments at home for one at sea.

It is not an official vacation cruise until I have my massage. That is my treat to myself on the trip. I always look for the specials and if you have a group of 2 or more you can bargain them down in price. I tell them up front, I'm not interested in purchasing products and it works everytime. :)

Archived