HAL transfer to airport-- earliest flight time?

travelingla

I called HAL to ask their opinion on what the earliest time would be safe for a flight out of Vancouver on 'return' day.

The rep I spoke with stated 11am. We have purchased ship to airport transfers from HAL.

We are on the Volendam and it will be a Wednesday - I think that normally there are only 1 or 2 ships debarking in Vancouver on a Wednesday.

From those of you who have recently been there/done this.... would you agree with the 11am earliest flight recommendation? Or a later one?

Right now it might not be an option as it appears flights are early evening - so we might be spending the night and flying out early the next morning.

This is for 2013.

Thank you!

If you are flying internationally, I'd say you need to have a later flight. For domestic, it may be okay. Personally I wouldn't want to do it.

The buses used for the HAL transfer usually don't leave the cruise terminal until they are full. Do not expect, either, to be in the first group disembarked.

If you really REALLY want to try for an 11 am flight, do self-disembark and grab a cab to the airport, or take the Canada Line (mass transit) to the airport.

It's true -- the buses have so many people assigned to them and they do not leave until they are full.

I would take either the late evening flight or wait until the next morning to fly home.

I have read too many horrow stories about Vancouver's airport and getting through customs.

Was on a cruise one time when a large family group refused to go to the front desk to close out their accounts until after they had finished breakfast. Selfish people! At any rate, we did not get off the ship til after 10:30 AM and was very glad we had a mid-afternoon flight departure. ----Penny

thanks, all!!! I don't recall our flight time in 2006 but I DO recall that HAL had the transfer MOST organized! at that time the customs rep came on board the bus and picked up our signed declaration papers.... we were taken to a side entrance to the airport thru a private door... went up escalators and landed right at our gate! we did not have to fool with luggage, customs or flight check in... amazing!! too good to be true that it happens thus way routinely ???

This past Sunday we took self embarkation as our flight was 11:22 out of EWR to Toronto. We got off among the first people, got a taxi immediately and he drove about 80 miles per house, (scared me) and got us to the airport early.

We got to the Porter Airways counter and they offered to put us on the 8:25 a.m. flight as they had 2 seats left. No extra charge as they expected a storm and we might not be able to leave. We had to hurry but had no problems, no other passengers going through all the horrible scanning and such and got on the plane just fine and got to Toronto and got a taxi immediately and were home by about 10 a.m.

Sometimes you are lucky. Sometimes not. That is awful of some passengers holding up the disembarkation so the ship cannot be cleared. Very selfish.

thanks, all!!! I don't recall our flight time in 2006 but I DO recall that HAL had the transfer MOST organized! at that time the customs rep came on board the bus and picked up our signed declaration papers.... we were taken to a side entrance to the airport thru a private door... went up escalators and landed right at our gate! we did not have to fool with luggage, customs or flight check in... amazing!! too good to be true that it happens thus way routinely ???

That was the USA Direct program. They no longer do that at YVR.

• 2 weeks later...
That was the USA Direct program. They no longer do that at YVR.

oh, that makes me really sad! :( That was THE smoothest debarkation ever!

Thanks for the other comments and suggestions -- I will be sure to pass along the tips for flying out - we'd all be flying to the USA - with a layover required to get to our little ole town :(

Do you know about what a taxi fare is from ship to airport in Vancouver?

Some are trying to decide if it might be cheaper to pay for transport (NOT by taxi!) to Seattle and fly out there if a hotel is required anyway.

As always - -your time and effort in answers is greatly appreciated! :D

Archived